U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
27,996 posts, read 46,366,300 times
Reputation: 19403

Advertisements

City Council member Rod Tam's use of a racially charged term to describe undocumented workers in Hawai'i and recent arrests on O'ahu and Maui have put the spotlight on illegal workers, but the problem in Hawai'i is relatively small when compared with most Mainland states.

There is no clear picture on the number of people who are illegally in the state.

Illegal workers a 'great concern' in Hawaii | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2008, 11:41 PM
 
3,748 posts, read 7,213,486 times
Reputation: 4825
I applaud Hawaii for taking a pro-active stance against the illegal invasion. Perhaps they have seen how illegal immigration has ravaged states like CA, TX and FL and decided not to let their state go down the same path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 02:30 AM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332
I don't think it'd be possible for there to be massive illegal immigration to Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 02:43 AM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,004 posts, read 31,957,905 times
Reputation: 30390
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I don't think it'd be possible for there to be massive illegal immigration to Hawaii.
Well, there is a massive illegal immigration problem here in VA. If it can happen here, no state is safe, mainland or island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 03:09 AM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Well, there is a massive illegal immigration problem here in VA. If it can happen here, no state is safe, mainland or island.
That doesn't really make sense. Virginia is still continental.
You can sneak around all over the continent in a car or truck.

Hawaii is very far away. It's not like they can make a makeshift boat and float over there like from Cuba to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 05:12 AM
 
608 posts, read 881,125 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
That doesn't really make sense. Virginia is still continental.
You can sneak around all over the continent in a car or truck.

Hawaii is very far away. It's not like they can make a makeshift boat and float over there like from Cuba to Florida.
You need to read the article. There are many creative ways to get to Hawaii. Having said that, all you need is a valid driver's license (no passport) to fly via commercial airlines. There are many illegals who have valid drivers licenses and can fly around the continental US and its non-continental states and territories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 09:06 AM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,989,978 times
Reputation: 934
I am assuming that if they think that workers are being smuggled in from the mainland that those workers must be for the most part Hispanics. Spotting those workers should be easy because Spanish is not spoken by Hawaiians to any extent as it is on the mainland. Even if they were Eastern Europeans (yes there are a great many illegals from that part of the world) tier accents and general attitude would give them away. If they are Asians then that is a somewhat different story but the article doesn't infer that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I am assuming that if they think that workers are being smuggled in from the mainland that those workers must be for the most part Hispanics. Spotting those workers should be easy because Spanish is not spoken by Hawaiians to any extent as it is on the mainland. Even if they were Eastern Europeans (yes there are a great many illegals from that part of the world) tier accents and general attitude would give them away. If they are Asians then that is a somewhat different story but the article doesn't infer that
And Eastern Euros are (almost) obviously 'Anglo' White in appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,308 posts, read 25,663,111 times
Reputation: 10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
City Council member Rod Tam's use of a racially charged term to describe undocumented workers in Hawai'i and recent arrests on O'ahu and Maui have put the spotlight on illegal workers, but the problem in Hawai'i is relatively small when compared with most Mainland states.

There is no clear picture on the number of people who are illegally in the state.
Makes sense to me, John . . . unlike many states, address the problem before it becomes a DISASTER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 AM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,989,978 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And Eastern Euros are (almost) obviously 'Anglo' White in appearance.
Still very few don't give themselves away by their accent. The problem here (in Chicago) is that the Polish illegals are sheltered by the largest Polish community outside of Warsaw. How ever illegal Romanians and Bulgarians are don't have that recourse so they get caught more. Serbs also have an "underground railroad " in this area.

Sidebar: Until only a few tears ago the second largest group of illegals in this area were the Irish. Today they are doing so well that Ireland is beginning to have a problem with immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top