U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:49 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,677,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
The DMV has translations for English, Spanish, Korean, Tagalog, Cantonese, and Vietnamese. Or Something like that.

Just like Mexicans, the younger generations of Vietnamese are growing up speaking English.
True....and as you well know, the DMV isn't what we're talking about here....not even close.

And no, I don't find the younger generation of the Vietnamese 'just like Mexicans'....at least, not in a number of ways.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:56 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,677,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I certainly wouldn't want to "put words in your mouth" as you have accused me of doing. So, what the heck are you implying by the bolded comments? I sincerely hope it’s not what I’m inferring.
I'm no student of human behavior...but I'd be willing to bet that very few people, anywhere on Earth, no matter what their race or religion, would be TOO happy at the thought of "another culture taking over". If that's what this is, then annoyance and mild hostility is probably the BEST we can expect. In most places, there would be violence, or worse.

If anyone can steer me to any material describing a cultural group whose members are eager to be 'taken over' by another culture, I'd sincerely be interested in learning about it. If such a group does indeed exist, it must be a VERY small one...and it must have a VERY short future.

Like you, Benicar, I too, hope this isn't what it seems to be hinting at. I KNOW we'll get an explanation...I just don't know what it will be.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,019,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
True....and as you well know, the DMV isn't what we're talking about here....not even close.

And no, I don't find the younger generation of the Vietnamese 'just like Mexicans'....at least, not in a number of ways.
Arent we talking about services catering to speakers of languages other than English?

And the Vietnamese are like the Mexicans and every other group in that the fresh immigrants don't speak English so well, but their kids do.

My experience with the Vietnamese isn't too extensive, but I got to know a lot from my old roomate.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'm no student of human behavior...but I'd be willing to bet that very few people, anywhere on Earth, no matter what their race or religion, would be TOO happy at the thought of "another culture taking over". If that's what this is, then annoyance and mild hostility is probably the BEST we can expect. In most places, there would be violence, or worse.

If anyone can steer me to any material describing a cultural group whose members are eager to be 'taken over' by another culture, I'd sincerely be interested in learning about it. If such a group does indeed exist, it must be a VERY small one...and it must have a VERY short future.

Like you, Benicar, I too, hope this isn't what it seems to be hinting at. I KNOW we'll get an explanation...I just don't know what it will be.
Didnt I keep esplainin it?

People getting annoyed over Spanish are getting annoyed over a culture.
It has little to do with "Illegal" immigration.

No hidden meaning there.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,891,912 times
Quote:
The DMV has translations for English, Spanish, Korean, Tagalog, Cantonese, and Vietnamese. Or Something like that.

Just like Mexicans, the younger generations of Vietnamese are growing up speaking English.
Not the DMV in this area. It's English/Spanish only.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,891,912 times
Quote:
Didnt I keep esplainin it?

People getting annoyed over Spanish are getting annoyed over a culture.
It has little to do with "Illegal" immigration.

No hidden meaning there.
But what did you mean by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760
different culture "taking over".

And trust me, it wouldn't be that hard.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
But what did you mean by this?
Oh, Guypinesra said being half-Latino means it wouldn't be likely for someone to have problems with Latinos.

I meant that having family in a group doesnt necessarily mean you can't have problems with it.
You got it out of context.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Not the DMV in this area. It's English/Spanish only.
This is California.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,025,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
The anti immigrant popoulation in America is not big enough to do that.
The anti "ILLEGAL" immigrant population in this country is very much capable (and big enough) to do just that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration