U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:16 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogirl View Post
Tell that to the Native Americans.
Bottom line here:

The indigenous people here prior to 1492 simply were defeated by a bigger, badder group of 'Indians' AKA Europeans (both Anglo and Hispanic). I am not saying was right by today's standards, but it cannot be undone.

Let what happened serve as a warning that us Americans may be the next 'indigenous' people if we allow the illegal immigrant menace to continue. The difference this time around is we are strong enough to deport the invaders------if Bush were not such a lickspittle loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,029 times
Quote:
Actually my grandfather didn't have a sponsor, and he wasn't tested for disease. He had a few coins in his pocket when he arrived. My grandmother's brother sponsored her, and married her off to my grandfather after she had been here 11 days. She had no one else to care for her, getting married was the only way to survive. She was 16. It wasn't all rosy for immigrants then.

The next time you eat vegetables grown in Florida or California, think about immigration. Think about the workers that picked that food for you. Think about the conditions that they endure because most Legal Americans won't do the job. I suggest you visit Belle Glade, Florida for a real eye-opening lesson. Morgan Spurlock did a fantastic "30 days" on immigration. 30 DAYS Official Website - Only on FX
Compassion is a good thing. WWJT?
Really-because most of my vegetables/fruits I get are from the local farmstand down the street that employs only Americans and now I know this is going to be a shock but local American teens work there too. Oh my God I also go and pick my own apples and strawberries too!. I also grow some of my own vegs as well. That is bs that Americans won't do those jobs in California and elsewhere-pure bs. Not really interested in some Morgan Spurlock propaganda-same lies that the MSM try to tell. Lazy Americans blah blah blah-I have heard it all before. Sorry but there are those of us that can hear those lies a million times and still know that it is not true. Americans picked fruit, built houses, etc. for many years without this country "needing" illegal labor. I am more concerned about the "conditions" of Amercan's lives who have been brought down by this uncontrolled illegal invasion.

If life is that bad for the illegal aliens-then why don't they go home to their native country? Go home and fight for a better life for themselves there.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 AM

2,731 posts, read 5,935,503 times
Nice Try..like others have said your ancestors were not ILLEGAL!
How about you think of:
Depressed Wages
Stealing of Social Security #
Increased cost of Healthcare
Cost to Taxpayers for Government services
Increased Crime
MS-13 and other Gangs
Drug Traffic

Old 07-08-2008, 08:07 AM

14,196 posts, read 7,399,448 times
Quote:
Actually my grandfather didn't have a sponsor, and he wasn't tested for disease. He had a few coins in his pocket when he arrived. My grandmother's brother sponsored her, and married her off to my grandfather after she had been here 11 days. She had no one else to care for her, getting married was the only way to survive. She was 16. It wasn't all rosy for immigrants then.

The next time you eat vegetables grown in Florida or California, think about immigration. Think about the workers that picked that food for you. Think about the conditions that they endure because most Legal Americans won't do the job. I suggest you visit Belle Glade, Florida for a real eye-opening lesson. Morgan Spurlock did a fantastic "30 days" on immigration. 30 DAYS Official Website - Only on FX

Compassion is a good thing. WWJT?
I wonder how many demands your grandparents made? 3 percent of migrants work in fields. When you or someone you know is replaced by an illegal then you can tell me about the jobs Americans wont do.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 AM

218 posts, read 392,400 times
This (that the colonists in the US were illegal immigrants, therefore equating past immigration with what is going on today) is one of the most risible canards you will see floating around cyberspace.

First, I would ask the OP, "Was it uniformly the case that Red Indians welcomed newcomers?" (Answer: plainly, no. In many cases, settlers faced warfare as a response.) So, do you think a proper response to illegals crossing the Rio Grande (or anywhere else) is to ride out with guns and shoot at them?

Second, for those tribes that did welcome the European settlers, how well did that work out for them? Is there model one we want to duplicate?

Third, ignoring (1) and (2), is it sensible to argue that policies of the 17th, 18th, 19th, or early 20th centuries ought to be observed? Another poster raises the quite relevant point that the situation now is radically different from what it was even 100 years ago. We are much more aware of the impact we have on our environment, and our cities are much more crowded. Our nation is trillions in debt.

Put simply, does it make sense for a captain of a ship to steer the vessel the same in a hurricane as it does when sailing on calm waters? Would anyone condone a general getting his men to march into battle in the same manner that they march in a Fourth of July parade?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 AM

2,731 posts, read 5,935,503 times
Good Points Baron.
We can talk about event's 100,300,500 Years ago!
Whats Important is whats good for America today!!!
We cant undo what happened in the past as another person stated so..
Why keep bringing it up?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Come on folks. lighten up! We NEED immigrants! There are trees to cut, canals to dig, and a whole frontier to tame! Who will build our railroads? Who will mine our copper and gold? Who will flip our burgers? BRING ON THE IMMIGRANTS....(and give 'extra points' to those crafty immigrants who are resourceful enough to 'circumvent' the system....the ones we call 'illegals'. When life throws obstacles in your way, you don't "go home"...you "go around...or past", and you don't look back !!

Three Cheers for the immigrants.....without them, we'd be out there washing our own cars!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:12 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,411 times
Damn Mac, you're at it AGAIN....

Old 07-08-2008, 10:57 AM

645 posts, read 804,016 times
Default Veggies Year Round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Really-because most of my vegetables/fruits I get are from the local farmstand down the street that employs only Americans and now I know this is going to be a shock but local American teens work there too.
You must live in a very temperate climate to be able to get fresh veggies year-round. Must be nice. Sounds like California...

Old 07-08-2008, 11:07 AM

111 posts, read 302,113 times
Default Too easy

It is way too easy to pull people on this forum out of the woodwork. I love it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or