U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 03:11 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
You must live in a very temperate climate to be able to get fresh veggies year-round. Must be nice. Sounds like California...

No-New Hampshire. However they have green houses that grow veggies in addition to the summer season and I have learned to can and freeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Chik-fi-la.......yuck

Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 PM

111 posts, read 302,144 times
Default What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I don't appreciate someone calling me a liar. I have no reason to lie on this forum. Maybe that is your MO, but it's not mine. I know what my grandfather told me. So don't believe everything you read.

It is so easy to call someone a name in a forum, but if you were standing next to me you wouldn't have the guts to call me a name. If we continue to volley with rhetoric, I will chew you up and spit you out. So don't even go there. Go call someone else names. Many psychologists believe that name calling is a way to make the name caller (or perhaps bully) feel much better about themselves. How you feeling?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogirl View Post
I don't appreciate someone calling me a liar. I have no reason to lie on this forum. Maybe that is your MO, but it's not mine. I know what my grandfather told me. So don't believe everything you read.

It is so easy to call someone a name in a forum, but if you were standing next to me you wouldn't have the guts to call me a name. If we continue to volley with rhetoric, I will chew you up and spit you out. So don't even go there. Go call someone else names. Many psychologists believe that name calling is a way to make the name caller (or perhaps bully) feel much better about themselves. How you feeling?
You may have met your match with andreabeth.......she is just as tough

Last edited by ArizonaBear; 07-08-2008 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Clarified something

Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:

Bring it.

In 1915, procedures for health screening of immigrants had long since been established.
Quote:
In 1890, the House Committee on Immigration selected the site for the screening of newly arrived immigrants. President Benjamin Harrison proclaimed Ellis Island to be the first federal immigration station.
<snip>
The immigrants, each with their names and geographic sites of origin inscribed on a piece of paper attached to their shirts, climbed a flight of stairs before entering the huge inspection hall. During this brief transit, they were carefully observed for visible signs of lameness, excessive physical weakness, pathologic lesions or mental aberration. Medical inspectors wrote appropriate chalk marks on the immigrants' shoulders (e.g., G for goiter, L for lameness, X for mental deficiency).
ELLIS ISLAND: PALACE OF HOPE, ISLAND OF FEARS | Medicine and Health Rhode Island | Find Articles at BNET

The immigrants were then channelled into 12 aisles. When they reached the head of the aisle they were given a brief exam, mainly screening for communicable diseases such as TB. Everybody went through this line. You simply could not pass through Ellis Island without being seen by a physician.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Bring it.

In 1915, procedures for health screening of immigrants had long since been established.

ELLIS ISLAND: PALACE OF HOPE, ISLAND OF FEARS | Medicine and Health Rhode Island | Find Articles at BNET

The immigrants were then channelled into 12 aisles. When they reached the head of the aisle they were given a brief exam, mainly screening for communicable diseases such as TB. Everybody went through this line. You simply could not pass through Ellis Island without being seen by a physician.
My grandparents went through this as well. Perhaps her grandfather was able to bribe his way out of a screening? It would have been extremely difficult to just opt out of it.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
My grandparents went through this as well. Perhaps her grandfather was able to bribe his way out of a screening? It would have been extremely difficult to just opt out of it.
And there is the possibility that geogirl's grandfather was pulling her leg as well.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM

6,525 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Quote:
How dare my ancestors come here illegally.

Paternal ones arrived in 1620, maternal ones arrived in 1915 via Ellis Island. Where was the border patrol to stop them?
If there weren't immigration laws back then, they couldn't have come illegally. I we had no laws, all of Mexico and El Salvador and Guatemala would be here.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,144 times
Default please read and help

Well in my case I just turn 20 years old and I came to this country when i was barely 7 years old and up to this date I have not been able to get my situation fixed because of the same reason that this country never gives us the opportunity to do it. I love this country this is where I was raised and I cant believe that even for people like me it is impossible to get things done. My dream was always to go to college or the service and I found my self in the place where i cant do any of that and now in this days it is even hard to find a job. Cant even work at McDonalds unless you have at least false identification which is something I have not taken the risk for it. It is a very difficult situation because I have to drive without license and we are lucky now that there is insurance companies and brokers that will insure you without a license. I guess thats the only reason I havent been taking to jail or have my car taken away for the two times that I got pulled over.At least they should give us the chance to have a license.I just want and ask this country or whoever reads my message to please give us an opportunity to live the real american dream because trust me this is not life when you have to seek your way through life and knowing that in my situatuon nor case I will never get anything done due to my legal status. Although I thank this country so much for every effort and attempt of changing the immigrants life.

I also thank everyone for your comments because even people who are not in this situation are very understanding. thank you so much.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1231212122 View Post
Well in my case I just turn 20 years old and I came to this country when i was barely 7 years old and up to this date I have not been able to get my situation fixed because of the same reason that this country never gives us the opportunity to do it. I love this country this is where I was raised and I cant believe that even for people like me it is impossible to get things done. My dream was always to go to college or the service and I found my self in the place where i cant do any of that and now in this days it is even hard to find a job. Cant even work at McDonalds unless you have at least false identification which is something I have not taken the risk for it. It is a very difficult situation because I have to drive without license and we are lucky now that there is insurance companies and brokers that will insure you without a license. I guess thats the only reason I havent been taking to jail or have my car taken away for the two times that I got pulled over.At least they should give us the chance to have a license.I just want and ask this country or whoever reads my message to please give us an opportunity to live the real american dream because trust me this is not life when you have to seek your way through life and knowing that in my situatuon nor case I will never get anything done due to my legal status. Although I thank this country so much for every effort and attempt of changing the immigrants life.

I also thank everyone for your comments because even people who are not in this situation are very understanding. thank you so much.

Listen, I feel for you -- I really do. And if there were several hundred thousand people in your situation I might support an amnesty -- but there is not. There are millions. And by amnestying you wouldn't that be encouraging more people to illegally bring their children to this country and hope for yet another amnesty?

It is a tough position that you are in. I wish I knew of a fair and equitable answer for you. Have you spoken with an immigration attorney? Perhaps it would be beneficial for you to go back to your country of birth and apply for a visa from there? And if I am not mistaken, the military has a program for people in your situation, that if you serve X amount of time you are granted your citizenship.

At anyrate, I wish you luck and although I'm sure I came off harshly I really do feel for you. But ultimately it is your parents fault for coming here illegally in the first place. The blame rests with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or