U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2009, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Mastic Beach
752 posts, read 1,240,973 times
Reputation: 302

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogirl View Post
How dare my ancestors come here illegally.

Paternal ones arrived in 1620, maternal ones arrived in 1915 via Ellis Island. Where was the border patrol to stop them?
They came here Legally...they were not "Illegal Immigrants" they were just "immigrants" and dont give me that crap about taking the land from the indians.
Even if the English had said "OH...Theres people here... sorry guys"
and turned around and gone home...
the Indians still would have been slaughtered by the spanish or the Germans or the French...or some other invaders.
I hate to say it because it's "not fair" but the world isnt "fair"
The indians were throwing rocks when we were using bow's
and they were using bow's when we were using guns.
You have to adapt to survive, they couldnt adapt...
they didnt survive.
the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2009, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
They came here Legally...they were not "Illegal Immigrants" they were just "immigrants" and dont give me that crap about taking the land from the indians.
Even if the English had said "OH...Theres people here... sorry guys"
and turned around and gone home...
the Indians still would have been slaughtered by the spanish or the Germans or the French...or some other invaders.
I hate to say it because it's "not fair" but the world isnt "fair"
The indians were throwing rocks when we were using bow's
and they were using bow's when we were using guns.
You have to adapt to survive, they couldnt adapt...
they didnt survive.
the end.
Hell: had there been no 'White' race...........either stronger Indian tribes would have been doing the deed against weaker groups (Aztecs and Comanches come to mind) and/or other Asians would have come here-----------Japanese being a quick example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2009, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Mastic Beach
752 posts, read 1,240,973 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Hell: had there been no 'White' race...........either stronger Indian tribes would have been doing the deed against weaker groups (Aztecs and Comanches come to mind) and/or other Asians would have come here-----------Japanese being a quick example.
God forbid the Samurai had invaded. The Indians made the same mistake that we are making now. They cant even get along with each other... how were they to defend a nation.
We took it from them while they were fighting with each other.
By the time they realized what we were doing there weren't enough of them left to fight back...even if the tribes had joined together.
Too little too late.
Like all people... Hindsight is 20/20
we are all smarter in retrospect.
but for some reason,
we always forget that history repeats itself.
Too selfish and greedy to stop it.
We have to be angry and hurting to do something.
as long as we are comfortable,
we just look to that immediate comfort,
and the future be damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2009, 05:22 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
Reputation: 47455
estimada senora
i can understand the contempt for our law system. the people that come here benefit and after all were recruited by our business people to do so. what i do not understand is our own people.
their utter loathing of unions which would have prevented this 21 million man invasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Reputation: 17689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
estimada senora
i can understand the contempt for our law system. the people that come here benefit and after all were recruited by our business people to do so. what i do not understand is our own people.
their utter loathing of unions which would have prevented this 21 million man invasion.
Coming for jobs USED to be the number one reason, sadly that isn't anymore. They come to make a better life for their kids and the social service magnet which we taxpayers pick up the tab for. Something for nothing will attract people every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
Reputation: 27519
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogirl View Post
How dare my ancestors come here illegally.

Paternal ones arrived in 1620, maternal ones arrived in 1915 via Ellis Island. Where was the border patrol to stop them?
Do you know what the laws were at the time ?
You can't apply today's immigration laws to 1620 or 1915.

Go do some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Nova, D.C.,
1,220 posts, read 3,298,513 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1231212122 View Post
Well in my case I just turn 20 years old and I came to this country when i was barely 7 years old and up to this date I have not been able to get my situation fixed because of the same reason that this country never gives us the opportunity to do it. I love this country this is where I was raised and I cant believe that even for people like me it is impossible to get things done. My dream was always to go to college or the service and I found my self in the place where i cant do any of that and now in this days it is even hard to find a job. Cant even work at McDonalds unless you have at least false identification which is something I have not taken the risk for it. It is a very difficult situation because I have to drive without license and we are lucky now that there is insurance companies and brokers that will insure you without a license. I guess thats the only reason I havent been taking to jail or have my car taken away for the two times that I got pulled over.At least they should give us the chance to have a license.I just want and ask this country or whoever reads my message to please give us an opportunity to live the real american dream because trust me this is not life when you have to seek your way through life and knowing that in my situatuon nor case I will never get anything done due to my legal status. Although I thank this country so much for every effort and attempt of changing the immigrants life.

I also thank everyone for your comments because even people who are not in this situation are very understanding. thank you so much.
While it is not your fault you were born here illegally, what you are describing are basic laws in our country. Such is life. What do you expect? Other countries have immigration laws. Why do illegal immigrants always want an easy way to becoming a citizen? If you dislike it so much, then go back to your country and help your country succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Indiana
2,047 posts, read 1,300,946 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1231212122 View Post
Well in my case I just turn 20 years old and I came to this country when i was barely 7 years old and up to this date I have not been able to get my situation fixed because of the same reason that this country never gives us the opportunity to do it. I love this country this is where I was raised and I cant believe that even for people like me it is impossible to get things done. My dream was always to go to college or the service and I found my self in the place where i cant do any of that and now in this days it is even hard to find a job. Cant even work at McDonalds unless you have at least false identification which is something I have not taken the risk for it. It is a very difficult situation because I have to drive without license and we are lucky now that there is insurance companies and brokers that will insure you without a license. I guess thats the only reason I havent been taking to jail or have my car taken away for the two times that I got pulled over.At least they should give us the chance to have a license.I just want and ask this country or whoever reads my message to please give us an opportunity to live the real american dream because trust me this is not life when you have to seek your way through life and knowing that in my situatuon nor case I will never get anything done due to my legal status. Although I thank this country so much for every effort and attempt of changing the immigrants life.

I also thank everyone for your comments because even people who are not in this situation are very understanding. thank you so much.
I was also brought here by single mother at the age of 7 along with 4 other brother and sisters.my mother left us in mexico with our grandmother when I was 5 years old.for 2 year she work and saved money to bring us to america. buy the age of 10 I had my green card and became a U.S.A. CITIZEN AT THE AGE OF 32.I do not understand how anyone can be in the U.S.A. for 10,15 years and not be legal. unless they really dont care about their stutes. I do not blame the government or its laws I do blame the people who come hear and expect a green card in thier hand without lifting a finger to help them self to it. It may not be easy you can do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
I was also brought here by single mother at the age of 7 along with 4 other brother and sisters.my mother left us in mexico with our grandmother when I was 5 years old.for 2 year she work and saved money to bring us to america. buy the age of 10 I had my green card and became a U.S.A. CITIZEN AT THE AGE OF 32.I do not understand how anyone can be in the U.S.A. for 10,15 years and not be legal. unless they really dont care about their stutes. I do not blame the government or its laws I do blame the people who come hear and expect a green card in thier hand without lifting a finger to help them self to it. It may not be easy you can do it
It sounds to me that your mom played by the rules------------which I respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 12:00 PM
 
411 posts, read 402,628 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogirl View Post
How dare my ancestors come here illegally.

Paternal ones arrived in 1620, maternal ones arrived in 1915 via Ellis Island. Where was the border patrol to stop them?
Ha, ha, very funny, some people think they are entitled to draw a historical line, and claim the USA as "my country", which sounds quite ridiculous. The reality is that at any point in time people from all different kinds of ancestry may temporarily call the USA "home"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top