Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:18 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,249,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Ha, ha, very funny, some people think they are entitled to draw a historical line, and claim the USA as "my country", which sounds quite ridiculous. The reality is that at any point in time people from all different kinds of ancestry may temporarily call the USA "home"....
Just curious: Are Mexicans ready to give Mexico back to the indigenous peoples who still live there, and are horribly oppressed?

Yeah, didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 01:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,012,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Just curious: Are Mexicans ready to give Mexico back to the indigenous peoples who still live there, and are horribly oppressed?

Yeah, didn't think so.
That will never happen as you stated.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
All four grandparents were permitted to immigrate to the United States between the mid-1930s and mid-1940s. All four have the papers to prove that they are legal, and all four became citizens. Oh, and all four learned English and never accepted a dime of government money until they retired, after which they collected the Social Security benefits to which they were entitled as decades-long taxpayers and legal residents/U.S. citizens.

I am not the product of illegal immigration.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,514,800 times
Quote:
Ha, ha, very funny, some people think they are entitled to draw a historical line, and claim the USA as "my country", which sounds quite ridiculous. The reality is that at any point in time people from all different kinds of ancestry may temporarily call the USA "home"....
In your opinion, are there ANY countries wherein the citizens have the right to say that "this country is MY country....and NOT yours"? Which countries are these, and by what right do these people say this?

Are there countries (besides the USA) that don't belong to their citizens, but simply "belong to everyone"? How does this work? May we go there, and simply declare "I'm here, and NOBODY better tell me I can't stay."? (I KNOW this describes the USA..I'm trying to find out if there are any OTHER such places...or is the USA pretty much unique in "not belonging to its citizens"?)

Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
While I agree that the indigenous in Mexico and beyond are oppressed, in Mexico, it doesn't make sense to say "give it back". Despite the caste system of social status, the vast majority of Mexicans are of at least partial indigenous society. Even most of the "mestizo" population is more indigenous than Spanish. It's a shame that the Europeans were so oppressive of the natives, and so "rewarding" to the people that looked like them or acted like them, that it forced many to distance themselves from who they are, and join in on the oppression of the Indians.
Mexico needs to figure out its own solutions with its potentially explosive racial and narco situations.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:50 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,249,305 times
Quote:
While I agree that the indigenous in Mexico and beyond are oppressed, in Mexico, it doesn't make sense to say "give it back". Despite the caste system of social status, the vast majority of Mexicans are of at least partial indigenous society. Even most of the "mestizo" population is more indigenous than Spanish. It's a shame that the Europeans were so oppressive of the natives, and so "rewarding" to the people that looked like them or acted like them, that it forced many to distance themselves from who they are, and join in on the oppression of the Indians.
So now you're blaming Europeans for the oppression of the indigenous people by the people and government of Mexico? Sorry, no. The Mexican people own this one.

My point was that those who claim that Americans do not "belong" here, I'm assuming, also apply the same logic to the people of Mexico.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
The elite of Mexico are European, and have been since colonial days. That elite status of the Spaniards and Criollos makes even the brownest of Mexicans to strive toward that status, because the European-Mexican society has portrayed the Indians as being bad, and lesser.
This has caused Mexicans, who are more indigenous than Spanish, to want to distance themselves from the lower status of being Indian, and strive for acceptance of the Europeans in control.

It's very complex, but I don't want to go into it, as I feel that discussions of race as well as of Mexicans in general digresses from the topic of illegal immigration in America, and taints the discussion.
I take it you are referring to Mestizos here.............a Mexican is a citizen of Mexico----------irrespective of actual race or ethnicity.

Vicente Fox is 100% White...........and, Mexican as well.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:10 AM

411 posts, read 467,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Mexico needs to figure out its own solutions with its potentially explosive racial and narco situations.

So, you claim that Mexico has a racial and drug problem, but we don't, hmmm....., lets see, we have the highest use of illegal drugs in the world, and we lived in total segregation(apartheid) untils a few decades ago, in a visit to usa Mandela commented that he could see total segregation at church on sundays, would these not qualify for drug or racial problems...

Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
So, you claim that Mexico has a racial and drug problem, but we don't, hmmm....., lets see, we have the highest use of illegal drugs in the world, and we lived in total segregation(apartheid) untils a few decades ago, in a visit to usa Mandela commented that he could see total segregation at church on sundays, would these not qualify for drug or racial problems...
And the standard of beauty SoB is still white skin and blue eyes-----------the telenovelas make that crystal clear. The Jim Crow laws have been gone for many years now. As for de facto segregation; Spanish speaking Mestizos (many illegal) are fast replacing Blacks @ the bottom of the socioeconomic food chain. Too bad that more illegals are not leaving the USA.

Too, the drug wars there are becoming worse do in part to drug trafficking being slowed down across the border. Read that the dealers need to offload their dope hence it starting to ruin Mexico. Over 13,000 Mexicans have been murdered thus far by the cartels.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,460,027 times
Quote:
Sounds like a place that Mexicans should definitely avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration