Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
While Carcieri, some legislators and the talk-radio hosts may think the issue is gaining traction locally, a recent public opinion survey by veteran pollster and political science Prof. Victor Profughi, of Rhode Island College, shows a substantial disconnect between average Rhode Islanders and political figures pushing illegal immigration as a top issue.
Rhode Islanders don’t find immigration a top issue | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

You can see this trend nationwide, the politicians trying to push this as a top issue never gain any traction. Every single poll shows that illegal immigration ranks well below the economy,healthcare,iraq,gas prices,education etc.

Now this brings me to my question.. why does the "invasion" that is destroying America rank so low among the issues that concern most americans this election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Rhode Islanders don’t find immigration a top issue | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

You can see this trend nationwide, the politicians trying to push this as a top issue never gain any traction. Every single poll shows that illegal immigration ranks well below the economy,healthcare,iraq,gas prices,education etc.

Now this brings me to my question.. why does the "invasion" that is destroying America rank so low among the issues that concern most americans this election?
Rhode Island is a very small state with a population smaller then that of my county. Their opinion is meaningless.

Its also somewhat liberal and liberals love the illegals.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,129,622 times
Quote:
The same poll also showed that an overwhelming majority wanted state government to require state government to hire only legal workers. Ditto for companies doing business with the state.
Even in liberal R.I. they dont want illegal aliens stealing jobs.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Rhode Island is an interesting place. However, I'm not sure its population is altogether representative of the US in general.

How do Rhode Islanders feel about preserving the Desert tortoise? About logging within National Forest lands? About the increasing scarcity of potable water supplies in the Southwest? What's the average Rhode Islander's take on drug violence along the Mexican border, or on issuing permits to drill for natural gas in BLM lands in the northern Rockies?

I don't know..nor do I see Rhode Island as having much significance on any of these issues....no matter how they feel. No disrespect intended for Rhode Island.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,855 times
If its not a problem, then I will put a sign up "I am willing to but your bus ticket to Rhode Island!" And send all the illegals there. Then it will become a top issue.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,874 times
Rhode Island doesn't count.

Of COURSE, it's not a big issue in the Northeast YET. Only to some of us who have been following the great influx into the Southwest.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post

Of COURSE, it's not a big issue in the Northeast YET. Only to some of us who have been following the great influx into the Southwest.
Let's give Rhode Island its due. It IS a pretty diverse place...for example, it has a large immigrant community...Caribbeans, as well as "Cape Verdeans" and a number of others. There are LOTS of languages spoken in Rhode Island.

Still, though, my point remains...I'm not sure how representative the state is of "American attitudes" in general. After all, I live in a pretty SMALL county in Southern California...and it's pretty close in square miles to that of the entire State of Rhode Island.

So, once again, with all due respect, does RI reflect the attitudes of America? Probably not, in many cases. Neat place, though.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM

608 posts, read 1,004,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post

Of course there are immigrants legal and illegal in Rhode Island as well as the other New England states. Location (away from souther border) may have something to do with it but then again remember, New England has a long standing history of dealing with legal and illegal immigrants on farms/orchards, factories and in fishing. Caribbean Islanders, Irish, Italian, Polish, Hungarian, Greek, Lebanese, Armenian, Canadian, Portuguese, Brazilian, Syrian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Philippine, Central American, South American, and yes even Mexican.

I think the big difference is that it is not just one group it is many groups. I don't kid myself I am sure there are issues and some people are against illegal immigration or even immigration as well.

Now I am from Mass not Rhode Island but electorally speaking, every state no matter how liberal, conservative, large, small or densely populated counts.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:57 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Of course there are immigrants legal and illegal in Rhode Island as well as the other New England states. Location (away from souther border) may have something to do with it but then again remember, New England has a long standing history of dealing with legal and illegal immigrants on farms/orchards, factories and in fishing. Caribbean Islanders, Irish, Italian, Polish, Hungarian, Greek, Lebanese, Armenian, Canadian, Portuguese, Brazilian, Syrian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Philippine, Central American, South American, and yes even Mexican.

I think the big difference is that it is not just one group it is many groups. I don't kid myself I am sure there are issues and some people are against illegal immigration or even immigration as well.

Now I am from Mass not Rhode Island but electorally speaking, every state no matter how liberal, conservative, large, small or densely populated counts.
Except Rhode Island...

Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Except Rhode Island...
I'm not sure what 'population density' has to do with it, either. I've been through parts of the US where people are spread out for MILES....yet, it seems to me, in talking to some of them, and from some of their attitudes, that they're a pretty 'dense' population. (I COULD be wrong)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration