U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,818,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Wait, who is encouraging impoverished citizens to head to the US???? Is there a man named Mexico who I'm not familiar with?
Oh come on! Don't play games with me. Surely you have heard of the comic book style 'guide for illegal immigrants' published by the Mexican Government?

Quote:
Mexico Provides Guide to Illegal Immigration

LOS ANGELES Mexican immigrants hoping to cross the Mexico-U.S. border can use an illustrated guide to help them break U.S. immigration laws (search) and live in the United States illegally.

The 32-page booklet, free with popular comic books and advertised at bus stations and government offices south of the border, comes courtesy of the Mexican government.
The guide also gives advice on how to live unobtrusively in the United States, advising illegals not to beat their wives or go to loud parties because either action may attract the attention of police.
(Good Lord)
FOXNews.com - Mexico Provides Guide to Illegal Immigration - U.S. & World

Here is the cover:

Isn't that nice? Note how they make sure Mexican illegal aliens in the US know to immediately head for one of the 46 (or is it 47?) Mexican Consulates in the US so they can learn about all their 'rights' and what benefits they can collect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 AM

469 posts, read 783,567 times
Learn Spanish? No Thanks. Obama and McCain are trying to out pander themselves. They are both sellouts on illegal immigration. Mexico is like an annoying chihuahua that needs to be put in its place.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,111,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
Let's set aside the inflammatory comments about "slave workers" (sic). I did not say that learning Spanish will "only" gain you the ability to talk to guys you pick up... I said the utility of learning Spanish will basically enable you to do that, and I stand by the comment. Of course learning Spanish will allow me to speak socially with hundreds of millions of people (the overwhelming majority of whom I will never come in contact with). That may enhance my quality of life if I am sitting at Dodger Stadium next to a guy who cannot speak Enlgish.

But we simply have to face reality. I would *love* to speak Spanish. And Russian. And Finnish. And Bengali. I am 40. It is unlikely. My son (with any luck) will speak at least a couple of languages. As he allocates his time, if he is smart, there will be some sort of utility assigned to his choices.

Let me put it bluntly. For foreign languages, do you honestly think it is better for him to lear Spanish as opposed to Russian? Mandarin? Arabic? WHY? WHAT DO YOU THINK THE MOST LIKELY USE OF SPANISH FOR HIM OR ANYONE ELSE IS GOING TO BE?

I say that because the data are pretty undeniably true - as immigrants come to the US and settle as neighbours, they tend to learn English, especially as they move up in the social structure. I don't have specific numbers, but I am willing to be that there is NO ONE in a high level corporate or any other position in this country who speaks solely Spanish. Thus, if he is going to be speaking Spanish to someone, I would bet that the odds are at least 50-50 that that person is not going to be the admissions officer at Harvard.

And as another reason to learn a foreign language, when he travels outside the US, which countries will it be helpful for him to know Spanish, again, as opposed to French, Mandarin, Arabic, any of the languages of India? I guess if he is in Germany, the odds are pretty low that he will need to use Spanish to communicate.

Your (and other) comments of this sort do little more than add a lot of heat and precious little light to the discussion. My point was a practical one, and I stand by the claim that, if Americans "should learn a second language," Spanish should be down the list.

Why would you not want to be able to communicate with so many people that live in OUR country. It seems like you see Spanish, and the people who speak it are inferior, and less cultured compared to French speakers.
This isn't accusing you of racism or anything, but it's just that many people on this board are associating Spanish with some kind of lower class language.
Maybe if more people knew Spanish, there wouldn't be this irrational fear of Mexicans legal or illegal.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:36 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,903,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Why would you not want to be able to communicate with so many people that live in OUR country. It seems like you see Spanish, and the people who speak it are inferior, and less cultured compared to French speakers.
This isn't accusing you of racism or anything, but it's just that many people on this board are associating Spanish with some kind of lower class language.
Maybe if more people knew Spanish, there wouldn't be this irrational fear of Mexicans legal or illegal.
It just seems to mesh right with the overall impression I get from people on this forum:

Americans think Spanish speakers are lower than them, why learn a language to communicate with people lower on the socio-economic ladder.

Well my answer to that is, Latin Americans economies are mostly ascending, inlcuding Mexico even with all of its problems. Jump on the train now, I'd say.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,235,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It just seems to mesh right with the overall impression I get from people on this forum:

Americans think Spanish speakers are lower than them, why learn a language to communicate with people lower on the socio-economic ladder.

Well my answer to that is, Latin Americans economies are mostly ascending, inlcuding Mexico even with all of its problems. Jump on the train now, I'd say.
I'd learn Spanish in a heartbeat if I intended to move to a country that spoke it, but I don't. People that move to THIS country, legal or not, should learn English.

Why do you have such a disconnect about this, it's really pretty simple.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I'd learn Spanish in a heartbeat if I intended to move to a country that spoke it, but I don't. People that move to THIS country, legal or not, should learn English.

Why do you have such a disconnect about this, it's really pretty simple.
My disconnect is because is English is not official, this country was meant to adapt, there are many Spanish speakers here already, it just makes sense. Evolve.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:46 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,235,870 times
Quote:
My disconnect is because is English is not official, this country was meant to adapt, there are many Spanish speakers here already, it just makes sense.
Over 300 million people here, maybe 10% speak Spanish, and you think it 'makes sense'??

Gimme a freaking break!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Over 300 million people here, maybe 10% speak Spanish, and you think it 'makes sense'??

It makes sense in America to speak Spanish as a second language yes.
10% and growing!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Thats pretty much what they are saying. But I didn't point out, because I knew I'd be called out on "playing the race card" or something.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Not to mention most of our part of the world is Spanish speaking. If you don't want to, cool. But you seem livid at the mere suggestion of learning Spanish. Bridge some gaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration