U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If the hispanics supposed goal is assimilation, why do you want everyone speaking in spanish and shopping in mercados 10 years from now?
It was a joke...but honestly it could happen even while they assimilate. Maybe we could do some assimilation too. Tacos y plantains para todos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Oh yeah it is all my master plan, I am responsible.

At least you are honest.
If Mexico is so great, I am curious as to what he is doing here?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,361,414 times
Quote:
It was a joke...but honestly it could happen even while they assimilate. Maybe we could do some assimilation too.
They are coming here, not vice versa. The burden is upon them to assimilate, not us.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Quote:
At least you are honest.
LOL you crack me up on how serious you can be.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM

218 posts, read 392,400 times
Quote:
I grew up in South Florida amongst the Puertorriqueños, at that time there was nobody I knew who wanted PR to be independent of US except the people that lived on PR proper. Mainly because the only Americans that go there are Puertorriqueños. American Tourists bring $, only speak English, most hotels are required to speak English even though it is a Spanish country, San Juan is fluent Spanish.

Honestly today with all of the wars and hostility towards hispanics, PR may be seeking more active independence, not sure though.
Mach -

I would suggest that the only opinions that really matter are those Puerto Ricans who live in Puerto Rico. We'll see.

I do agree that there seems far too much hostility towards Latinos (on another thread, there is a post about arresting illegal immigrants for moving violations, and they actually use a Puerto Rican in the example. I guess they never saw West Side Story.)

Please make no mistake about it - I do not harbour any hostilities towards Latinos, and even got into what became a nasty dispute in another of these threads with a poster who filled up the board with "one guy stories" about "illegals" who drove around in Escolades (sic) and bought lobster dinners with food stamps. I would *never* advocate rounding up the illegals, or denying them health care.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:53 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
It was a joke...but honestly it could happen even while they assimilate. Maybe we could do some assimilation too. Tacos y plantains para todos!
I'm game as long as you're cooking. How long 'til dinner?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:54 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Quote:
If the hispanics supposed goal is assimilation, why do you want everyone speaking in spanish and shopping in mercados 10 years from now?
I'm American citizen, speak fluent English with not so fluent Spanish, and I love going to mercados instead of Ralphs or Vons. And Im trying to improve my Spanish, because I love Mexican culture.
The country Mexico is great. Too bad the people who run it aren't.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:56 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
At least you are honest.
That's a legitimate question. We see similar images on a regular basis. If they soooo love Mexico, and despise the U.S., they need to return there. Also, brave men don't hide their faces; cowards and criminals do.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That's a legitimate question. We see similar images on a regular basis. If they soooo love Mexico, and despise the U.S., they need to return there. Also, brave men don't hide their faces; cowards and criminals do.

But you see, SoCal IS Mexico! Notwithstanding the fact that only 9% of Mexican decent individuals in the US today trace their ancestry to the handful of Mexicans who lived on this side of the Rio Grande, and nothwithstanding the fact that the vast majority of those Mexican nationals that were "here" when the "border crossed them" became American citizens....... it belongs to ALL Mexicans. Even if they're from Chiapas and have about as much ties to the American Southwest as they do Alaska.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM

219 posts, read 378,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
A very large percentage of recent immigrants take advantage of these programs, my wife being one of them. However, a new language isn't something you learn overnight. My wife takes English class 3 days a week for 2 hours at a time. These classes are taught by volunteers and in many cases are not effective teachers. She has gone through an entire course and still is extremely hesitant to speak what she is learned because it embarrasses her to stumble over words and screw up pronunciation. Like I stressed in my last post, learning a foreign language is very difficult. Just because you hear somebody here speaking Spanish doesn't mean they don't know English or don't want to learn it. She continues to speak Spanish with other native Spanish speakers here since it is easier and less humiliating. I lived in Mexico for a year and hated trying to speak Spanish with other Americans, it made me feel stupid, so I only spoke English with them. It is the same thing here, it isn't a big deal so don't take offense to it.

Slig - if this FREE program isn't good enough for you should send her to take a college course and get a REAL teacher! No one is saying it is easy. I took Spanish in college - I know. I am not taking offense, they just need to TRY, it is important they TRY. Are you maybe too close to the situation to have an objective view?

Ok hotshot, like you've never illegally downloaded an MP3 or jaywalked in your life. Give me a break.

BUT the thing about downloading an MP3 illegally or jaywalking it happens once or twice it doesn't require someone to pay for my healthcare, or take care of me while I am in prison for doing this, or driving down wages because I will work dirt cheap OR shall I go on? I think you know the examples. I am NOT perfect but I sure as hell do not put the burden of what I do on others and that is exactly what illegals do when they stay here and mooch!

I never backed up violent criminals. How can you possibly compare violent crimes with physically moving to another country? That's a pretty disgusting comparison.
Good for you, but how do you think that guy got back here AFTER he had been DEPORTED???? He didn't just move here he broke the law and snuck back over the border. So ... someone who is illegal is just "physically moving over here?" they do much more than that and you know it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration