U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,856,102 times

Advertisements

I will say this, I've met some white collar Mexican families in my town, whose families sent them to live with American families or Canadian families when they were in high school in order for them to LEARN ENGLISH!!! These families understand that in order for their children to get ahead, they had to learn English in America or Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 06:53 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,864,856 times
Default What about the terms of immigration and naturalization?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I would have sworn that one of the requirements for becoming a citizen of this country was to learn the language. This for me is my main barrier against learning the Spanish language. Why is it that we are being told to learn their language when they are the ones coming here. If an immigrant can't speak the language of the country, they cannot function properly, unless there is a system in place to make things easier on them. Americans are not the ones in need of learning a second language, the Spanish immigrants are. If they are not making the effort to learn our language and customs, then they do not deserve to stay. The learning of a second language should be done from a yearning for culture and diversity. Not so we can understand what some border jumper is trying to say. Why just today I was working on a new restaurant in downtown Raleigh called Solas. A young Mexican male walked in and simply said "application". That was all he could say. He had not even been here long enough to learn basic greetings or even how to read street signs or addresses. I know this because the applications were to be filled out down the street at the Hibernian. I tried to explain to him where to go but he could not understand me. That is what should be unacceptable. That is a dead giveaway that whoever this person is, he is more than likely not here legally. Any company he applies for a job with should first check his credentials, because he obviously can't be a citizen thus should not be given employment if he is here illegally. We should not have to learn Spanish simply to make life easier on the illegal immigrants. We didn't immigrate, they did.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I will say this, I've met some white collar Mexican families in my town, whose families sent them to live with American families or Canadian families when they were in high school in order for them to LEARN ENGLISH!!! These families understand that in order for their children to get ahead, they had to learn English in America or Canada.
Many, I would even say most white collar Mexican families learn English, even when they intend to live in Mexico, because it expands business opportunities.

Just like if Americans learned Spanish, it would expand business opportunities.

Anyone who thinks Spanish in America is only used so you can speak to an illegal, is just plain ignorant.

Most of Latin America is undeveloped and currently ready to thrive, I mean isn't that what Obama said: "make sure your kids learn Spanish". I think that is good advice considering the economic status of these developing countries that are right here, our neighbors.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Wow, I guess knowing the language isn't "exactly" required!

Well, I looked around and it seems that to become a citizen you are supposed to have a working knowledge of the English language. They are required also to take a literacy test to show they have learned parts of the language. So as I said in the title, knowing the language "fluently" is not required. But they do have to at least be making an effort and partially know the language. And I don't have a problem with anyone who is trying to immigrate the right way. Fluency will come with time. Basic communication is the key to life here in America. And here is a little example of where I get my logic. If you go to visit friends or family in their home, do you A: try to abide by their house rules and customs because that is the right thing to do in someone else's home. Or B: force your rules and customs upon the family you are visiting and tell them to just get used to it because that's just how it is. I am pretty darn sure all the sensible people on this forum would answer choice A. And that is the point I am trying to make. Yes, they are guests in this country and from what I can see we are very hospitable for the most part. The proper thing for them to do in turn is abide by our rules and customs. And this includes learning to speak our language.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,152,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I was watching CNN's "Situation Room" this afternoon and saw a clip of Obama addressing a public group and making this quote:

"Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn english - they'll learn english - you need to make sure YOUR child can speak Spanish, you should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual."

I replayed his clip three times to ensure I had the wording correct, but this is exactly what he said. I don't know who his audience was, but I found this comment rather startling.
Well, I speak Spanish and have spent a couple of hundred dollars in the past few weeks to improve mine. I volunteer at a food and clothing bank and only had a couple of clients who spoke English today. My Spanish is very good but I can still perfect it and it is much appreciated in this situation. Anyone should take the time to learn a foreign language. It's good for gray matter and Europeans do it all the time. Some Americans are just less than motivated to exercise their brains.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, I speak Spanish and have spent a couple of hundred dollars in the past few weeks to improve mine. I volunteer at a food and clothing bank and only had a couple of clients who spoke English today. My Spanish is very good but I can still perfect it and it is much appreciated in this situation. Anyone should take the time to learn a foreign language. It's good for gray matter and Europeans do it all the time. Some Americans are just less than motivated to exercise their brains.
No, it's not that we are less motivated to exercise OUR brains. After all we are Americans in OUR HOMELAND, OUR country, we are not the illegal invaders. We are less motivated to forcibly and manditorily become a bilingual, bicultural cesspool simply because illiterate, illegal aliens primarily from Mexico are the new corporate slaves.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
You can exercise your brain by doing any number of things other than learning a second language. I for one enjoy reading, martial arts, playing guitar, writing poetry and short stories, carpentry (which I also do for a living), and I'm currently toying with the flute. I could go on but I think you may get my point. I stay pretty much constantly occupied with activities that require the use of my brain for other than menial tasks. Not that learning another language isn't a fine idea. But it should be your choice what paths you follow in life. Yours may lead you to learn a foreign language while mine leads me to learn the language of music and poetry. To each his/her own as they say. But I do know for sure one cannot judge a person's intelligence based on his/her knowledge of other languages.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Better yet:

Why is it that Mexico sure as hell is not all that interested in Guatemala-----it too was part of Mexico after 1821.

Back to the Spanish learning thing: let the pro illegal crowd keep it up.........without fail-------they keep shooting themselves in their collective feet.

As for the end of Mexico: even their 'Aztec' calender predicts their possible end ca. 2012: Aztec symbolizing Aztlan/Mexico.

Something to ponder.

PS:

Why are many Hispanics so hot to even keep the language of the conquisdores (sp)-------especially the way that the Spanish abused the indigenous peoples??

Its not that they are "hot to keep" the language. Its that you guys are so angry that they speak it.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Its not that they are "hot to keep" the language. Its that you guys are so angry that they speak it.
If a person wishes to speak Spanish; that is their business-------just that the language of choice for most Americans is English here in the USA-------official or not.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If a person wishes to speak Spanish; that is their business-------just that the language of choice for most Americans is English here in the USA-------official or not.
exaaaccctllyyy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration