U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,892,732 times

Advertisements

I hold no angry feelings for Spanish speaking people. And by all means they should hold onto their roots and amongst people who can converse with them speak in their native tongue. But I do find the Spanish people's general attitude about learning our language to be disrespectful. You don't move into a country and partake of the life they have to offer without making an effort to merge into their culture. If I moved to a foreign nation I would begin learning their tongue straight away. Not only out of necessity, but out of respect for these people I have come to live with. People tend to warm to you much more quickly if you seem to be making an effort. And that goes for pretty much any situation you may encounter in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,628,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You can exercise your brain by doing any number of things other than learning a second language. I for one enjoy reading, martial arts, playing guitar, writing poetry and short stories, carpentry (which I also do for a living), and I'm currently toying with the flute. I could go on but I think you may get my point. I stay pretty much constantly occupied with activities that require the use of my brain for other than menial tasks. Not that learning another language isn't a fine idea. But it should be your choice what paths you follow in life. Yours may lead you to learn a foreign language while mine leads me to learn the language of music and poetry. To each his/her own as they say. But I do know for sure one cannot judge a person's intelligence based on his/her knowledge of other languages.
Ah, but learning Spanish is more marketable and I've always kept that in sight. While others apply for jobs that say "bilingual preferred," I am, so guess who gets the job? I didn't do this out of the goodness of my heart. I had an incentive and did so over 20 years ago. The chickens are just coming home to roost now.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
No, it's not that we are less motivated to exercise OUR brains. After all we are Americans in OUR HOMELAND, OUR country, we are not the illegal invaders. We are less motivated to forcibly and manditorily become a bilingual, bicultural cesspool simply because illiterate, illegal aliens primarily from Mexico are the new corporate slaves.
You can choose to believe this, but you would be better served by learning Spanish.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,892,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Ah, but learning Spanish is more marketable and I've always kept that in sight. While others apply for jobs that say "bilingual preferred," I am, so guess who gets the job? I didn't do this out of the goodness of my heart. I had an incentive and did so over 20 years ago. The chickens are just coming home to roost now.
And I say that's awesome and more power to ya. But if we were all bilingual your field would become less specialized and the pay would undoubtedly decrease once anyone could do what you do. That is what makes diversity so great. Those who choose your path are rewarded while those who choose other paths are rewarded for their accomplishments. I mean, if we could all speak the "language" of computers there would be no need for programmers and such. It's all about personal choices and living life how you want to live it. And I am genuinely glad that your choice has provided you with opportunity. Maybe one day I will be a published writer or famous musician. Or maybe I'll just be a small business owner as I am now. Either way, I am sure I will be happy.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 PM

1,814 posts, read 1,958,331 times
Every school age child in our family are taught Spanish, and they are scattered in all different states and not border towns.
We live in a Border town and a lot of times scanning the want ad's they are looking for bilingual people and there are jobs that would almost require bilingual speaker,
Border patrol for one of several.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,339,212 times
Actually; as more and more illegals (and their US born Anchor Babies) return to Mexico, there will likely be more of a demand for English speakers there.

I strongly suspect that those individuals SOB who are bi-lingual will have a huge advantage over Spanish only speakers there.

Supposedly; the 'dirty' secret is that Mexico is going bi-lingual as it is-----but, few there want to admit it due to cultural 'genocide' fears or some such nonsense.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 PM

307 posts, read 332,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Learning Spanish is NOT more marketable then many other things one can learn in less time. You take a high school graduate and teach him/her Spanish. I'll take the same graduate and teach them Computer Programming or Engineering or Accounting and see who has the more marketable, higher wage employee. Learning takes time and that is time taken from other areas. Yes the kid who learns Spanish while his friend is smoking pot will do better, but his other friend who learned accounting instead of Spanish will have more job opportunities and higher pay then mister Spanish speaker.

Many Americans choose to learn that which gives them the best edge for their future. This is why so many people in OTHER countries learn English. It gives them a better chance to make money.

If I need someone to translate Spanish to English they are EASY to find. I could put an add up at my local Safeway grocery store and get any number of good Spanish/English speaking immigrants who would happily do the job for $10-$15 an hour. They will speak Spanish better then 95% of non Hispanic Americans who have taken their time to learn the language. If I want someone who speaks English and can do Sequel Server programming for medical records it will take me a long time to find, $25-$50 an hour AND full benefits.

Random

Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM

15,181 posts, read 10,140,038 times
…..And these are my operative words: “effort” and “choice”

When people make the decision to immigrate to this country or any country, they should at least make the effort to learn the predominant language. They don’t even have to become fluent, but at least try.

I had a conversation with a gentleman the other day in the parking garage of a DC hospital. Through our conversation I learned that he was from Mexico. He was collecting trash, and I commented on how ridiculous it is that people can’t discard their trash in the can at the entrance to the elevator. He really seemed excited to have a conversation, and we must have talked for at least 10 minutes. He had a thick accent, but I could clearly understand him, and I respected him for his effort. I also sensed his pride in his ability to communicate with me in English.

I certainly do not begrudge those with the ability to speak a foreign language. I learned Spanish by choice, and started taking classes in elementary school. It was fun; we would participate in little skits, and I can even recall some of them. I also chose to become a member of the Spanish Club in high school, and I chose to take it for two semesters in college as an elective. Again; it was my choice.

The problem I have with Obama’s comments (in addition to the blatant pandering), is the implication that we should acquiesce to the demands of illegal aliens. All of the legal Hispanic immigrants I know speak English. I realize there are some legal immigrants who don’t speak English, but I feel the accommodations are primarily done for the benefit of illegal aliens, which I highly resent.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Learning Spanish is NOT more marketable then many other things one can learn in less time. You take a high school graduate and teach him/her Spanish. I'll take the same graduate and teach them Computer Programming or Engineering or Accounting and see who has the more marketable, higher wage employee. Learning takes time and that is time taken from other areas. Yes the kid who learns Spanish while his friend is smoking pot will do better, but his other friend who learned accounting instead of Spanish will have more job opportunities and higher pay then mister Spanish speaker.
In addition to being bilingual, I have an MBA and a couple of other things going on, so I am not only relying solely on a second language. This was just part of the plan. I am returning to grad school for another degree and, coupled with being bilingual, I'll be in high demand. Clearly one has to learn other things along the way.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The problem I have with Obama’s comments (in addition to the blatant pandering), is the implication that we should acquiesce to the demands of illegal aliens. All of the legal Hispanic immigrants I know speak English. I realize there are some legal immigrants who don’t speak English, but I feel the accommodations are primarily done for the benefit of illegal aliens, which I highly resent.
It is not to acquiesce, rather to improve oneself and there is nothing wrong with that. He is merely advocating that we become just like others in this world who speak more than one language - like any educated person should strive to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration