U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-09-2008, 11:41 PM
 
307 posts, read 335,949 times
Reputation: 109

Advertisements

So which is it. "No need to learn the worlds best known language" OR "yes we should learn the worlds most popular language". You're flip flopping more then a politician during an election year. Zero to flip flop in under an hour. I haven't seen that sort of foot work since I was in that airport Restroom with Larry Craig.

Thank you folks, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your moderator


Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
There is no need to learn Mandarin, as Chinese people are quite well versed in English, at least all the ones I worked with in San Francisco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
It's always best to speak the language that the majority of the world speaks.
I see you also have learned double speak

Random
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2008, 11:49 PM
 
4,248 posts, read 6,692,626 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
So which is it. No need to learn the worlds best known language or yes we should learn the worlds most popular language. Your flip flopping more then a politician.

I see you also have learned double speak

Random
I can tell you are not up on global happenings by what you write. China and India are both up and coming with a highly skilled and well educated workforce that makes Americans look both stupid and lazy. There is no reason to learn their languages, as they already know ours quite well and are more skilled in most things than we are. Those that arrive here are the creme de la creme of their countries. Those that take our work back to their countries as they are doing also put us in the position of becoming insignificant. They can do OUR accounting and programming in their countries at a fraction of the cost. This is why so many jobs are going bye, bye and will continue to do so. This is why we are in such deep sh*t with regards to our position in the world.

Those coming from Spanish speaking countries, OTOH, do not have the same level of education or infrastructure in their own countries. They are and will, continue to BE HERE PHYSICALLY. One cannot ignore this. It has to be dealt with. This is why it is important to learn their language. I am not going to go jaunting off to India or China anytime soon, so I have no reason to learn their languages to compete in their (formerly our) markets. They have just outpaced us. Time to face it. Perhaps it is YOU who should be studying SQL in Mandarin. FWIW, I don't think it will help you at all, as they will just export all the work to China and you cannot get a job there, anyway. You could not compete. I, OTOH, have no need for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 PM
 
307 posts, read 335,949 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I can tell you are not up on global happenings by what you write.
Right, you can tell that becuse I caught you contradicting yourself?

You’re weaving around like a politician caught in a ***** house and have failed to address your own statements listed below. You are trying to not acknowledge them even though you made them both in the last hour. You continue to try to push you Spanish Language Opinion even though it has been shown that you are contradicting yourself and using false information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
China and India are both up and coming ... There is no reason to learn their languages,
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
It's always best to speak the language that the majority of the world speaks.
China and India's language are the worlds Number 1 and Number 2 ranked native spoken language.
Random
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 AM
 
4,248 posts, read 6,692,626 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Right, you can tell that becuse I caught you contradicting yourself?

You’re weaving around like a politician caught in a ***** house and have failed to address your own statements listed below. You are trying to not acknowledge them even though you made them both in the last hour. You continue to try to push you Spanish Language Opinion even though it has been shown that you are contradicting yourself and using false information.





Random
No, I was ahead of myself but in no way did I say anything that was incorrect if you look down the road. You want to make this into some debate but I am really only interested in the facts. The fact is that Spanish is going to overtake this country. The fact is that English is going to go by the wayside. Then what are you going to do? You won't have to hire any Spanish translator for your SQL because there won't be any SQL being done here anymore. Then what are you going to do? I will be doing something that is geared towards the changing demographics and I am speaking of aging baby boomers who will need services and an ever expanding Hispanic presence in this country which will need to be addressed. What is your plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 12:06 AM
 
4,248 posts, read 6,692,626 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Right, you can tell that becuse I caught you contradicting yourself?

You’re weaving around like a politician caught in a ***** house and have failed to address your own statements listed below. You are trying to not acknowledge them even though you made them both in the last hour. You continue to try to push you Spanish Language Opinion even though it has been shown that you are contradicting yourself and using false information.





China and India's language are the worlds Number 1 and Number 2 ranked native spoken language.
Random
BTW, am I talking to a conservative? If so, just let me know and I'll save myself the trouble of trying to discuss anything with you. No offense, but my experience teaches me that conservatives aren't really interested in thoughtfully exploring a topic, rather they just stick with one point and beat it over and over, ad nauseum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 AM
 
307 posts, read 335,949 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, I was ahead of myself but in no way did I say anything that was incorrect if you look down the road. You want to make this into some debate but I am really only interested in the facts. The fact is that Spanish is going to overtake this country. The fact is that English is going to go by the wayside. Then what are you going to do? You won't have to hire any Spanish translator for your SQL because there won't be any SQL being done here anymore. Then what are you going to do? I will be doing something that is geared towards the changing demographics and I am speaking of aging baby boomers who will need services and an ever expanding Hispanic presence in this country which will need to be addressed. What is your plan?
So do you admit you were wrong when you said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
It's always best to speak the language that the majority of the world speaks.
or are you going to keep dodging? I'll answer your questions once you take responsability for your own statements.

Random
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 AM
 
4,248 posts, read 6,692,626 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
So do you admit you were wrong when you said....



or are you going to keep dodging? I'll answer your questions once you take responsability for your own statements.

Random
What is your point? Yes, I was ahead of myself. Now, are you happy? You must be a conservative because only one of you would go on and on as you have.

Now, are you interested in doing more than playing a game here or do you want to have a thoughtful discussion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 12:23 AM
 
307 posts, read 335,949 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
BTW, am I talking to a conservative? If so, just let me know and I'll save myself the trouble of trying to discuss anything with you. No offense, but my experience teaches me that conservatives aren't really interested in thoughtfully exploring a topic, rather they just stick with one point and beat it over and over, ad nauseum.
I don't define myself as a conservative. Nor a liberal. I'll let you decide.


Abortion. Don't like it but it should be a woman's choice. (liberal Position)

Guns. Own several. (Conservative)

Death Penalty. Applied Disproportionately to minorities and Innocent people are executed. (Liberal)

Marijuana. Never touch the stuff. 30% of my friends do and I believe it should be decriminalized. (Liberal)

Immigration. Companies who hire ILLEGAL are BAD. Legal immigration I have no problem with. (???)

Religion. Agnostic who believes both sides step on each other way to much.

Food. I love ALL ethnic food and cultures and would love to spend more time abroad. Calling me ethnocentric is a joke.

I can go on if need be. Do you think I am conservative/liberal/or other.

Random
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 AM
 
307 posts, read 335,949 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I can tell you are not up on global happenings by what you write. China and India are both up and coming with a highly skilled and well educated workforce that makes Americans look both stupid and lazy.
I disagree. they make SOME Americans look stupid and lazy. It's not like China sends the stupid and lazy ones here. They send the best here. Trust me there are plenty of Chinese in China who are the Chinese equivalent of "Stupid Rednecks", Likewise we have brilliant workers here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Those coming from Spanish speaking countries, OTOH, do not have the same level of education or infrastructure in their own countries. They are and will, continue to BE HERE PHYSICALLY. One cannot ignore this. It has to be dealt with. This is why it is important to learn their language.
I disagree, contrary to what many on the "Anti Illegal Immigration" side say they do learn our language on the whole. It is not required to learn Spanish nor will it be.

Additionally, depending on what the US does many of "The illegal" may well be returned/return to there own countries. If that happens then those stats you site go out the window and your prediction is worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I am not going to go jaunting off to India or China anytime soon, so I have no reason to learn their languages to compete in their (formerly our) markets. They have just outpaced us. Time to face it. Perhaps it is YOU who should be studying SQL in Mandarin. FWIW, I don't think it will help you at all, as they will just export all the work to China and you cannot get a job there, anyway. You could not compete. I, OTOH, have no need for it.
On the other hand I will be retired by then and may well be jaunting off to India, China, Asia or Mexico. I'll have a home in the US but probably travel.



Random
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 AM
 
4,248 posts, read 6,692,626 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
I don't define myself as a conservative. Nor a liberal. I'll let you decide.


Abortion. Don't like it but it should be a woman's choice. (liberal Position)

Guns. Own several. (Conservative)

Death Penalty. Applied Disproportionately to minorities and Innocent people are executed. (Liberal)

Marijuana. Never touch the stuff. 30% of my friends do and I believe it should be decriminalized. (Liberal)

Immigration. Companies who hire ILLEGAL are BAD. Legal immigration I have no problem with. (???)

Religion. Agnostic who believes both sides step on each other way to much.

Food. I love ALL ethnic food and cultures and would love to spend more time abroad. Calling me ethnocentric is a joke.

I can go on if need be. Do you think I am conservative/liberal/or other.

Random
I think you are probably middle of the road and not given passionately to either persuasion. Having said this, I am sure you do agree with my points now.

If you love all cultures and being abroad you probably see the value in learning foreign languages, but you might personally not want to do this. However, as our world shrinks, I think it's a fine idea. The Chinese and Indians will do just fine without our learning their languages, but if you want to, knock yourself out. I, OTOH, plan to perfect my Spanish so that I can use in it my job and gain a competitive advantage (I will not be easily replaceable as I will be providing hands on service so they cannot outsource what I do).

FWIW, there are different ways of breaking down who speaks what and how many...

Most Widely Spoken Languages

It's kind of interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top