U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 09:07 AM

218 posts, read 392,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Yes - I do - and I vote with the telephone receiver as well. When that "push this for that" message begins - I hang up.

And I agree (obviously) that the government needs to operate in only ONE language - ENGLISH.
Then the "problem" is solved. If enough people do this, the companies will stop.

It doesn't bother me sufficiently (indeed, at all) that a company wants to provide a service to its customers (in this case, people more comfortable in Spanish).

I try to save my anger for real problems - like being put on hold for 20 minutes after pushing a number of buttons, and then getting to someone in customer "service" (sic) who has no clue and less interest about how to deal with the reason for my call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,736 times
Walmart Pharmacy does have the push #1 for English & #2 for spanish. It does not bother me, they are in business to make money and there are many Spanish
speaking customers in the South West.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Walmart Pharmacy does have the push #1 for English & #2 for spanish. It does not bother me, they are in business to make money and there are many Spanish
I think you're mistaken here. In Spanish, the letters "K" and "W", and the "Ph", are all considered foreign. Spanish doesn't include these. I'm sure you didn't mean to refer to the "Wal-Mart Pharmacy", but to the "Farmacia Gual-Mar".

But it's an honest mistake...

Old 07-10-2008, 09:28 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
We can argue all day about the importance of learning/speaking spanish. At the end of the day the majority of the world's population outside of the US learns and speaks some form of ENGLISH.

Does anybody else see the irony that we are not being told to learn Polish, French, etc? Could it be that the global elitists subtly threatening that we should all learn spanish realize/prefer that the mono lingual peasants that they hire to suppress American wages remain incapable of learning English? It's clearly not by accident that press 1,2 for spanish is the only other option for assistance on the corporate telephone menus.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, I was ahead of myself but in no way did I say anything that was incorrect if you look down the road. You want to make this into some debate but I am really only interested in the facts. The fact is that Spanish is going to overtake this country. The fact is that English is going to go by the wayside. Then what are you going to do? You won't have to hire any Spanish translator for your SQL because there won't be any SQL being done here anymore. Then what are you going to do? I will be doing something that is geared towards the changing demographics and I am speaking of aging baby boomers who will need services and an ever expanding Hispanic presence in this country which will need to be addressed. What is your plan?
There are no “facts” to be debated. Theoretically, your Spanish language “predictions” are plausible. However, you have relied solely on fallible assumptions, which leave much room for error. Let’s see; you have “predicted” that by the year 2050 the majority of the U.S. will be comprised of Spanish-speaking people. I’m not quite sure how this is accomplished, but I suspect the premise is more wishful thinking than anything else. This could in fact come to fruition; but then again, it may not.

There is absolutely nothing to “guarantee” the growth of the Hispanic population in the U.S. will reach the levels predicted by your sources. Moreover, it is impossible for you or anyone else to positively predict future events. We can only surmise based on precarious projections at best.

First, your theory has for its basis the current population of Hispanics; which includes a significant percentage of illegal aliens. Second, the millions of Hispanic illegal aliens included in said theory would have to be granted amnesty to ensure their continued presence and resultant growth in this country. Third, the assumption would have to be made that the vast majority of illegals would not assimilate and thus would not adopt the established “culture” of the U.S. which is to maintain a low birth rate. Fourth, the “amnestied” Hispanics would be expected to retain their third-world mentality, and their underclass status. Again, this is all plausible, but highly speculative.

Unless you can provide incontrovertible proof to support your theory, you are simply presenting a hypothetical scenario, which has no more value than any other argument on this thread. Essentially, it amounts to little more than…......dare I say, an opinion.

BTW, many “experts” are also predicting the world as we know it will end by the year 2012. As outrageous as this may seem, many in fact consider this to be plausible based on “scientific” evidence. If this should come to fruition, your “predictions” of Spanish language dominance would of course be a moot issue.

World ENDS In 2012 Due To Solar Storms!!

Does Maya calendar predict 2012 apocalypse? - USATODAY.com

The following link contains many notable failed “predictions” from those considered “experts” in their respective fields. These are glaring illustrations of the uncertainty of the future. You may want to have a “Plan B” in the works, just in case your Spanish Language Dominance Theory joins the ranks of these…….

Top 30 Failed Technology Predictions - The List Universe

Old 07-10-2008, 09:45 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There are no “facts” to be debated. Theoretically, your Spanish language “predictions” are plausible. However, you have relied solely on fallible assumptions, which leave much room for error. Let’s see; you have “predicted” that by the year 2050 the majority of the U.S. will be comprised of Spanish-speaking people. I’m not quite sure how this is accomplished, but I suspect the premise is more wishful thinking than anything else. This could in fact come to fruition; but then again, it may not.

There is absolutely nothing to “guarantee” the growth of the Hispanic population in the U.S. will reach the levels predicted by your sources. Moreover, it is impossible for you or anyone else to positively predict future events. We can only surmise based on precarious projections at best.

First, your theory has for its basis the current population of Hispanics; which includes a significant percentage of illegal aliens. Second, the millions of Hispanic illegal aliens included in said theory would have to be granted amnesty to ensure their continued presence and resultant growth in this country. Third, the assumption would have to be made that the vast majority of illegals would not assimilate and thus would not adopt the established “culture” of the U.S. which is to maintain a low birth rate. Fourth, the “amnestied” Hispanics would be expected to retain their third-world mentality, and their underclass status. Again, this is all plausible, but highly speculative.

Unless you can provide incontrovertible proof to support your theory, you are simply presenting a hypothetical scenario, which has no more value than any other argument on this thread. Essentially, it amounts to little more than…......dare I say, an opinion.

BTW, many “experts” are also predicting the world as we know it will end by the year 2012. As outrageous as this may seem, many in fact consider this to be plausible based on “scientific” evidence. If this should come to fruition, your “predictions” of Spanish language dominance would of course be a moot issue.

World ENDS In 2012 Due To Solar Storms!!

Does Maya calendar predict 2012 apocalypse? - USATODAY.com

The following link contains many notable failed “predictions” from those considered “experts” in their respective fields. These are glaring illustrations of the uncertainty of the future. You may want to have a “Plan B” in the works, just in case your Spanish Language Dominance Theory joins the ranks of these…….

Top 30 Failed Technology Predictions - The List Universe
Consider the source.

In fact; movin'on admitted to living in N Scottsdale, Az-------which is extremely White-----the Scottsdale PD has the rep of coming down hard on 'people of color'. Sure smells like a 'Volvo liberal' BTW: said poster wants to move back to the SF bay area due to Az being too 'conservative'.

Trust me: if movin'on were forced to live in a Hispanic barrio--------I am almost 100% certain that poster would a whole lot less pro Spanish speaking at the expense of English.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 AM

210 posts, read 1,046,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I was watching CNN's "Situation Room" this afternoon and saw a clip of Obama addressing a public group and making this quote:

"Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn english - they'll learn english - you need to make sure YOUR child can speak Spanish, you should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual."

I replayed his clip three times to ensure I had the wording correct, but this is exactly what he said. I don't know who his audience was, but I found this comment rather startling.
Why should we have to learn Spanish for them, they're the one coming to our country? Oh and by the way yo hablo espanol pero yo pienso que nosotros no tenemos que aprender espanol para inmigrantes. So I'm not being ignorant I can speak some spanish but still they should learn our language first.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
I have learned to speak 3 languages......I speak FLUENT American....Conversational Canadian...and can understand SOME "Queens English and Aussie"

Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I have learned to speak 3 languages......I speak FLUENT American....Conversational Canadian...and can understand SOME "Queens English and Aussie"
I tried learning Canadian, too difficult.

As a joke, how many of you asked an American what languages they speak and they actually answered "I only speak American". Not trying to offend anyone but I have heard this many times.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:02 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I tried learning Canadian, too difficult.

As a joke, how many of you asked an American what languages they speak and they actually answered "I only speak American". Not trying to offend anyone but I have heard this many times.
You too?! Now I don't feel too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration