U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I tried learning Canadian, too difficult.

As a joke, how many of you asked an American what languages they speak and they actually answered "I only speak American". Not trying to offend anyone but I have heard this many times.
An Englishman may feel that is the correct answer. They have been known to become upset with us at times for what we have 'done' to the English language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,677,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
An Englishman may feel that is the correct answer. They have been known to become upset with us at times for what we have 'done' to the English language.
Well, sometimes, although if you take an average Englishman and put him next to an American, and then take another Englishman from another part of England and ask him to tell you who speaks better English, he'll almost always choose the American. The English by and large hate the English spoken by other Englishmen (or Brits even) who are not from their own region.

On another point, there's a lot of evidence to suggest that it's the British English that's changed more on the whole than U.S. English.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM

218 posts, read 392,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Well, sometimes, although if you take an average Englishman and put him next to an American, and then take another Englishman from another part of England and ask him to tell you who speaks better English, he'll almost always choose the American. The English by and large hate the English spoken by other Englishmen (or Brits even) who are not from their own region.

On another point, there's a lot of evidence to suggest that it's the British English that's changed more on the whole than U.S. English.

Is that you, Professor Higgins?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why is learning another language odious to americans? in strasburg (border town)everybody speaks german and french. whats the deal. none of the white or black kids here speak spanish. i live 12 miles from the border. whats up with that
We're very big here on English only - all business is done in English, and that's the way we want it. The other problem is, when someone says "bilingual" (which is not a bad thing), they MEAN Spanish, not Hebrew or Russian, or any other language you might like to learn. We don't like to be forced to learn someone's language just because THEY won't learn ours, and they expect to live here.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

For that matter: US General English which is based out of Iowa/Nebraska/California; the one that newscasters try to aspire to due to its perceived lack of accent--------is eesentially a variation of Irish English.

It is weird: growing up in the Wash DC area 40 years ago; I used to think that New Yorkers, Boston people, Southerners, etc. all had accents whereas Californians sounded 'normal'------------thanks to mass media back then.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:03 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
MANY years ago, I stopped in a gas station in Liege, Belgium to ask directions. I asked the attendant [a guy about 150 yrs old] "Do you speak English?" "NO" he replied....so in my worst French I asked for directions....he said "Sure, I know where that it, go straight down to the 2nd light, turn right 2 blocks and then left for 3 bloks, it's on the right side of the street." I said "I thought you didn't speak English?" His reply...."I don't, I speak American."

Old 07-10-2008, 04:05 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
Great Britain and America. Two Countries seperated by a common language.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:32 PM

3,194 posts, read 2,864,856 times
Default Here is what amazes me.

The fact that so many posters on this thread have this "Just Do It" attitude about learning Spanish is really surprising to me. Americans are supposed to be known as not only fair, but just. Taking the attitude that we must bend and learn because the law breaking is not going to end is not a very America friendly stance to take. Its like if we were told we better all learn how to roll a dubey, because folks are gonna do it anyway so we gotta learn how too. Not that a have anything against people who smoke weed or people who speak Spanish. But we should not be going to such great links to help people who are here illegally. If you want to learn Spanish, great! It may provide you with a job opportunity as it did for an earlier poster I chatted with. But do it because you want to, not because if you don't you won't be able to order a cheeseburger. And besides, all immigrants working for corporations are required by law to have proof of legal residential status. If they have that then they are probably on the road to citizenship and thus are having to learn at least basic English. So the drive through should be the least of our concerns. That is if corporate giants like McDonald's and Burger King are following the rules!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:35 PM

219 posts, read 378,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
The fact that so many posters on this thread have this "Just Do It" attitude about learning Spanish is really surprising to me. Americans are supposed to be known as not only fair, but just. Taking the attitude that we must bend and learn because the law breaking is not going to end is not a very America friendly stance to take. Its like if we were told we better all learn how to roll a dubey, because folks are gonna do it anyway so we gotta learn how too. Not that a have anything against people who smoke weed or people who speak Spanish. But we should not be going to such great links to help people who are here illegally. If you want to learn Spanish, great! It may provide you with a job opportunity as it did for an earlier poster I chatted with. But do it because you want to, not because if you don't you won't be able to order a cheeseburger. And besides, all immigrants working for corporations are required by law to have proof of legal residential status. If they have that then they are probably on the road to citizenship and thus are having to learn at least basic English. So the drive through should be the least of our concerns. That is if corporate giants like McDonald's and Burger King are following the rules!

Have you ever heard of these illegals buying and selling falsified FAKE documents. The employers will go along with it because it "looks" real but they are not! And as long as they can get that cheap later who is gong to double check? MOST of these people are not on the road to citizenship they are trying to get around legal citizenship.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 PM

307 posts, read 458,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You and I have very similar values...........
Surprised but happy to hear that. Most people I talk to seem to fall into Left or Right along party lines. No compromise take no prisoner. Though I suspect many do not truly believe what they say, just that they say it because of peer pressure/conformity. Nice to know there is some one else similar to me.

Random
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration