Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 06:16 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times

Advertisements

Falsified documents are easily checked on if proper procedures are followed. And sure, I know corporations don't check that hard on these things because they like cheap labor. Nothing new, I am the owner of a small construction company. I see the use of illegals every day to supply a cheap work force. Did you somehow get confused with my post. I am not pro-illegals. I was making a point against the bending of our laws to satisfy illegals. And if corps. are hiring from the illegal work force, then they should be subject to penalties for these acts. It would not be that hard to bust these businesses for their crimes. If only the immigration authorities were doing their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 06:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Falsified documents are easily checked on if proper procedures are followed. And sure, I know corporations don't check that hard on these things because they like cheap labor. Nothing new, I am the owner of a small construction company. I see the use of illegals every day to supply a cheap work force. Did you somehow get confused with my post. I am not pro-illegals. I was making a point against the bending of our laws to satisfy illegals. And if corps. are hiring from the illegal work force, then they should be subject to penalties for these acts. It would not be that hard to bust these businesses for their crimes. If only the immigration authorities were doing their jobs.
Agreed. Corporations should do a more indepth check. But remember not all huge corporations use illegals. Some like Procter & Gamble understand that a permanant work force is much more preferable than cheap temperary work forces.
Not just corporations but anyone who employees an illegal should face stiff penalties compounded by the number of offences.
Some states however have inacted legeslation to hamper an employers ability toverify status. The ACLU as we speak are fighting to make it impossible for state or local policy to arrest and detain illegals for being illegals...

Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,095 times
there is no doubt that Most Americans know spanish and english, as far as Hispanics knowing or speaking english aside from spanish i think they are the ones who need to be more diverse and learn the second language as well.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:04 AM

4 posts, read 10,469 times
Spanish may be the most spoken language in the world but we should not have to learn anything they came over here . We could not go to their county and get the respect they get here so I think if they are not legal they should not get to be over here it is not fair they are just using the american money they will not stay over here.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:01 AM

299 posts, read 546,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogirl92 View Post
Spanish may be the most spoken language in the world but we should not have to learn anything they came over here . We could not go to their county and get the respect they get here so I think if they are not legal they should not get to be over here it is not fair they are just using the american money they will not stay over here.
It has already been proven more than once that Spanish is NOT the most spoken language of the world.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:20 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
This is just one more example of the twisted thinking of this man. ENGLISH is the language of America! There's certainly no harm in learning another language and anyone that wants to do so should, but anyone wanting to live here MUST learn English or deal with not getting along. don't like it? Leave!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
This is just one more example of the twisted thinking of this man. ENGLISH is the language of America! There's certainly no harm in learning another language and anyone that wants to do so should, but anyone wanting to live here MUST learn English or deal with not getting along. don't like it? Leave!
As you stated---------and, I am the son of a (legal) immigrant as well.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
That is simply not a fact, English is not official, this was designed to allow adaptability of language, you are just the resistance to adaptation.
Nobody is saying make Spanish official either, but many are saying that Americans would be advised to adapt, at least for their childrens sake.

I have Japanese neighbors who realize by living in a diverse area of California that their children would be wise to learn Spanish. Actually the children have really taken to it and come over to practice it with us and we reciprocate by learning their culture.

It is a refreshing thing to see how 2 totally different kinds of people can merge by reaching out to each others culture.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:14 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I took Spanish but I would rather have taken French - I thought I was being practical and I was not coerced by a political edict.

Maybe it wasn't that practical because I have no trouble in Spain - but here I'm not sure what they are speaking.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
That is simply not a fact, English is not official, this was designed to allow adaptability of language, you are just the resistance to adaptation.

Nobody is saying make Spanish official either, but many are saying that Americans would be advised to adapt, at least for their childrens sake.

I have Japanese neighbors who realize by living in a diverse area of California that their children would be wise to learn Spanish. Actually the children have really taken to it and come over to practice it with us and we reciprocate by learning their culture.

It is a refreshing thing to see how 2 totally different kinds of people can merge by reaching out to each others culture.
Mach50: jeepejeep did not use the word 'official' in post that you quoted------------remember though that English is the de facto tongue of the USA------not Spanish.

Besides: with the growing numbers of illegals self deporting; Spanish is beciming even important here in El Norte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration