U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 11:42 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,017,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Disgusting.

I doubt that any Hispanic nation has its official government websites in English.
Government of Mexico in line (http://www.gob.mx/wb/egobierno/egob_General_Information - broken link)

The whole subsection of the forum devoted to illegal immigration seems to be mostly about people's fear of anything Hispanic(well basically anything Mexican). Are you really that threatened by any use of the Spanish language? Should we rename all the Spanish place names in the Southwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Government of Mexico in line (http://www.gob.mx/wb/egobierno/egob_General_Information - broken link)

The whole subsection of the forum devoted to illegal immigration seems to be mostly about people's fear of anything Hispanic(well basically anything Mexican). Are you really that threatened by any use of the Spanish language? Should we rename all the Spanish place names in the Southwest?
Thank for the link; I stand corrected.

As for the use of Spanish here in the USA: what irks me is inordinate number of illegal aliens here, most of whom are indeed Hispanic. OTOH; quite a few of the legal immigrant Latinos (and other groups) want to assimilate and speak English, even if it is not the best.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

BS! This isn't about fear of anything Hispanic it is about objecting to becoming just another Mexico culturally due to illegal immigration and non-assimilating Mexican-Americans. Doesn't matter that the southwest has many things with Spanish names. The Spanish language came over here along with the Spaniards but overall it was decided long ago that English would be our country's language. It is disrespectful not to learn or speak English when one knows how to out in public unless you are a tourist. It is mostly Spanish speakers who do this and just what is their reason for doing this? It is because they will never accept this country's language as their language of usage. Let's face it, it reeks of arrogance and defiance and non-assimilation. I know of many who have lived in this country for 10 plus years and have never bothered to learn English.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
BS! This isn't about fear of anything Hispanic it is about objecting to becoming just another Mexico culturally due to illegal immigration and non-assimilating Mexican-Americans. Doesn't matter that the southwest has many things with Spanish names. The Spanish language came over here along with the Spaniards but overall it was decided long ago that English would be our country's language. It is disrespectful not to learn or speak English when one knows how to out in public unless you are a tourist. It is mostly Spanish speakers who do this and just what is their reason for doing this? It is because they will never accept this country's language as their language of usage. Let's face it, it reeks of arrogance and defiance and non-assimilation. I know of many who have lived in this country for 10 plus years and have never bothered to learn English.
All the more reason to mandate the use of English only for all government services; especially voting materials, WIC, welfare, etc. with the obvious exception of public health/safety services.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:54 PM

411 posts, read 402,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It' a proven fact that Multiculturism does not work in this country. That's the main reason the US was considered a melting pot. Likewise to Amnesty.
Do you realize what would happen if either of these take place? Or does that even matter to you.

Do you consider yourself an "American citizen"?
If so:
How would you like to see this country in say, 20 years from now?

Just a frienly gesture, I don't want to label you as a "Race Baiter" or a racist and I don't want sound like a moderator, because I'm not. But in some of your posts your about to cross the line.
I appreciate your friendly gesture, now, being a us citizen is not an idea, it's a legal status, I think you are right, multiculturalism has never
worked in our country, however, it has always existed, we've always had
isolated communities, i.e. italians, polish greek, black, hispanic, russian, etc. with demarcated boundaries, the peculiar case about hispanic communities is that they are already a large part of our society, and the fastest growing one, I don't know where you live , but here in the northeast the hispanic influence is huge, and in many cases they have melted with all other racial groups, mainly "anglos". The other day I was talking to a Martinez guy who looks more like Michael Douglas, he told me that recently visited some relatives in Puerto Rico, whom he'd never seen before and was so impressed with the warmth and close family ties that he is considering to retire there........

Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Sometimes it's hard to tell which way your headed with a post or which direction your coming from..

note:
My location is in the top right hand corner of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
I appreciate your friendly gesture, now, being a us citizen is not an idea, it's a legal status, I think you are right, multiculturalism has never
isolated communities, i.e. italians, polish greek, black, hispanic, russian, etc. with demarcated boundaries, the peculiar case about hispanic communities is that they are already a large part of our society, and the fastest growing one, I don't know where you live , but here in the northeast the hispanic influence is huge, and in many cases they have melted with all other racial groups, mainly "anglos". The other day I was talking to a Martinez guy who looks more like Michael Douglas, he told me that recently visited some relatives in Puerto Rico, whom he'd never seen before and was so impressed with the warmth and close family ties that he is considering to retire there........

Old 08-25-2009, 09:32 AM

3,885 posts, read 5,993,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
The major differance is that Greeks, Italian, Poles, and Russian had to learn English in order to vote or take a driver's test!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The major differance is that Greeks, Italian, Poles, and Russian had to learn English in order to vote or take a driver's test!
Yeah tou're right, there is even a supreme court judge that speaks spanish, lol....

Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 PM

60,071 posts, read 30,599,526 times
You can thank our public school system for teaching her English.

Even a blind dog, can find a bone every now and then.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You can thank our public school system for teaching her English.

Even a blind dog, can find a bone every now and then.

I think when you mention "our" school system, "our" supreme court justice is included...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration