U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 10:46 AM

11 posts, read 27,140 times

Advertisements

It would be easy to say USA...

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:33 AM

12,904 posts, read 18,454,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The 'rest of the world' has chosen what languages that they want to speak - they weren't told to learn the language of the dominant illegal immigrant group.
Big difference, wouldn't you agree?

Also, are you comparing the manifest destiny that wrongly or rightly (wrongly by modern standards, rightly by the mores of the time) that urged western expansion with the hordes of illegal Mexicans coming across the border? In short - reconquista? Because we are told so often that the whole reconquista thing is a myth
Nobody "chose" their language. They were born into it. And Spanish is equally foreign to this side of the world as English. Both languages were created by white europeans. So what is the big deal? How could English be "superior" to Spanish or vice versa? Obviously this is not a language issue...it's a race issue.

The fact of the matter is that white americans are declining in numbers while latinos (legal and not, although more ARE legal) is increasing. The race in decline feels threatened by the race on the rise. But regardless of what is right or wrong, there will be more and more Spanish spoken in this country with a corresponding decline in English.

Also, the world system creates a dynamic that encourages illegal immigration. The entire world can't be 1st world, the world cant' support it. So there will always be winners in the core and loosers in the periphery. As long as such a system is in place, people from the periphery will try to get into the core. The same thing happens in Europe with people immigrating illegaly from the Middle East and Africa in huge numbers.

The point of my rant is to put the hate, racism and superiority complex away; it does everyone a diservice. Illegals are unoffically encouraged to come simply because that's how the world works. They are not all inherently criminal, evil people and the majority are actually legal. And rather than fight against the waves which you cannot stop, flow with the waves. You will profit in the end instead beating your head against a brick wall until your skull cracks. Finally, be open. Your way is not the only way, nor is it necessarily the best way. Being flexible and accepting of change is the best way to make a better future for everyone.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,889,300 times
One could also learn Korean, Arabic, Vietnamese, or Chinese. Any of those languages could be important in different areas of the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I was watching CNN's "Situation Room" this afternoon and saw a clip of Obama addressing a public group and making this quote:

"Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn english - they'll learn english - you need to make sure YOUR child can speak Spanish, you should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual."

I replayed his clip three times to ensure I had the wording correct, but this is exactly what he said. I don't know who his audience was, but I found this comment rather startling.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Neill View Post
I have a question... United States is America or United States is IN America, part of North America?

I've been reading lots of comments talking about "America" as United States... that's a common error, it says a lot from who is saying it...
An 'American' with no qualifier before it refers to a citizen of the USA only.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Nobody "chose" their language. They were born into it. And Spanish is equally foreign to this side of the world as English. Both languages were created by white europeans. So what is the big deal? How could English be "superior" to Spanish or vice versa? Obviously this is not a language issue...it's a race issue.

The fact of the matter is that white americans are declining in numbers while latinos (legal and not, although more ARE legal) is increasing. The race in decline feels threatened by the race on the rise. But regardless of what is right or wrong, there will be more and more Spanish spoken in this country with a corresponding decline in English.

Also, the world system creates a dynamic that encourages illegal immigration. The entire world can't be 1st world, the world cant' support it. So there will always be winners in the core and loosers in the periphery. As long as such a system is in place, people from the periphery will try to get into the core. The same thing happens in Europe with people immigrating illegaly from the Middle East and Africa in huge numbers.

The point of my rant is to put the hate, racism and superiority complex away; it does everyone a diservice. Illegals are unoffically encouraged to come simply because that's how the world works. They are not all inherently criminal, evil people and the majority are actually legal. And rather than fight against the waves which you cannot stop, flow with the waves. You will profit in the end instead beating your head against a brick wall until your skull cracks. Finally, be open. Your way is not the only way, nor is it necessarily the best way. Being flexible and accepting of change is the best way to make a better future for everyone.
Try again.

The hostility is growing against the mostly Hispanic illegals and it is high time for those criminal losers to return home.

It is time for you to accept the fact the party is over. If here illegally--------leave!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:28 PM

2,880 posts, read 5,073,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I was watching CNN's "Situation Room" this afternoon and saw a clip of Obama addressing a public group and making this quote:

"Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn english - they'll learn english - you need to make sure YOUR child can speak Spanish, you should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual."

I replayed his clip three times to ensure I had the wording correct, but this is exactly what he said. I don't know who his audience was, but I found this comment rather startling.
If target audience is monolingual English speakers in a state that has a large Spanish speaking population and which borders are second-largest trading partner, then the suggestion to learn Spanish is a good one...as is the suggest for those working in the Pacific rim to learn Chinese or for those kids who wish to excel in schooling to learn Latin...

While his wording was less than ideal and his motivation typically liberal bleeding heart, we need not throw the baby out with the bath water. Americans need to beef up skills that had ensure leadership well into the 21st century.

S.
P.S. Why is this thread posted under "illegal immigration?" Topically misplaced...

Old 08-27-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
If target audience is monolingual English speakers in a state that has a large Spanish speaking population and which borders are second-largest trading partner, then the suggestion to learn Spanish is a good one...as is the suggest for those working in the Pacific rim to learn Chinese or for those kids who wish to excel in schooling to learn Latin...

While his wording was less than ideal and his motivation typically liberal bleeding heart, we need not throw the baby out with the bath water. Americans need to beef up skills that had ensure leadership well into the 21st century.

S.
P.S. Why is this thread posted under "illegal immigration?" Topically misplaced...
Yes and no.

Since I have no desire to even visit Mexico and the language of the USA is English--------I see no reason to learn Spanish.

As it is; most Mexicans here legally already know English---------it is basically only the illegal aliens (who have no business being here in the first place) are are monolingually Spanish.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

S.
We don't need to learn Spanish to ensure leadership in this country. It would make much more sense to learn Chinese since they practically own this country.

If Obama made this statement in a border state, it is obvious that they all have a high percentage of illegal alien Spanish speakers. Hispanic citizens are usually bi-lingual so why the need to learn Spanish to communicate with them? No, it is totally about Obama and other PC idiots who think we should learn the language of the invaders to accomodate them. Ain't gonna happen!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
(1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

(2)
Quote:
Chango wrote:We don't need to learn Spanish to ensure leadership in this country. It would make much more sense to learn Chinese since they practically own this country.

If Obama made this statement in a border state, it is obvious that they all have a high percentage of illegal alien Spanish speakers. Hispanic citizens are usually bi-lingual so why the need to learn Spanish to communicate with them? No, it is totally about Obama and other PC idiots who think we should learn the language of the invaders to accomodate them. Ain't gonna happen!
Chango, these are both your posts and they contridict one another.
Your playing 2 sides against the middle in a game that doesn't exsist.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 PM

12,904 posts, read 18,454,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
(1)

(2)

Chango, these are both your posts and they contridict one another.
Your playing 2 sides against the middle in a game that doesn't exsist.
That's nice, except Chicagonut wrote the second one, not me. Rest assured, I still think you should learn to speak Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration