Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,022,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Obama is just being logical since Spanish is spoken in 75% of the Western World.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to learn a language that is already spoken by 33 million people in the US.
Western world or New World?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,605,902 times
My two eldest dds are learning Japanese. My younger two will be attending Korean language school. If they choose to learn Spanish as well...great. But it shouldn't be a requirement of English speakers to cater to an illegal crowd or even legal immigrants for that matter who refuse to give up their 'culture' and language.

Besides, the whole argument is such a backhanded defense of latinos. What Obama (and all the other pro spanish speaking groups) are really saying is "they are incapable of learning English so we must learn Spanish"

I wonder how does that feel to be the only immigrant group to be singled out as stupid? And by their own advocates no less?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,440,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Western world or New World?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,605,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Obama is just being logical since Spanish is spoken in 75% of the Western World.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to learn a language that is already spoken by 33 million people in the US?

But hey you guys are right, go learn Bengali.
I had no idea Obama was trying to be elected president of 75% of the western world......who knew?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,194,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why is learning another language odious to americans? in strasburg (border town)everybody speaks german and french. whats the deal. none of the white or black kids here speak spanish. i live 12 miles from the border. whats up with that
I'm sure it's the same here at a border town. But at this strasburg you are talking about, is it the same when you get 1 or 2 hundred miles away from that border ?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,150,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm sure it's the same here at a border town. But at this strasburg you are talking about, is it the same when you get 1 or 2 hundred miles away from that border ?

very noticable near the borders in france.
fades but overall speaking a second language in france is not unusual behavior for the french, very educated people. here it is considered, well a curiosity. my point being kids pick up language very fast. there is a great window of opportunity there. significant to me the old black and white mexican films set in texas will often show all the texans inc the kids all speaking spanish, since they all grew up and lived in mexican territory. this is normal border behavior. but not so here. how strange.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,440,814 times
Obama is a wacko...he makes no sense at all....

Americans, please don't learn this language:

Learn this one:

Old 07-08-2008, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,524 times
Europe is doing well assimilating to islam, albeit more the religious laws than the language.

In the US, there are no major religion issues with Latino immigrants, and the US will assimilate to the cultural. There is little choice, over time portions of the west will become majority Hispanic, the border will become more blurred, so it makes sense to educate your children to more easily assimilate to the coming demographic reality.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,517,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Driver View Post
Europe is doing well assimilating to islam, albeit more the religious laws than the language.

In the US, there are no major religion issues with Latino immigrants, and the US will assimilate to the cultural. There is little choice, over time portions of the west will become majority Hispanic, the border will become more blurred, so it makes sense to educate your children to more easily assimilate to the coming demographic reality.
What he said....

Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,022,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Driver View Post

With the plummeting birthrate of Hispanics? I think not. Besides; more and more of the illegal ones are self deporting as we speak between stricter enforcement and the jobs drying up.

Here in Arizona: attitudes are hardening towards the above; either assimilate (if legal) or leave. Too; quite a few Americans of 'Hispanic' heritage are pissed at the illegal invasion as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration