U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2009, 02:05 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,410,824 times
Reputation: 475

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
The most widley spoken languages in the world:

1. Mandarin - 1 billion + speaks this language ( I believe this is a Chinese language, not sure )
2. English - 508 million speaks this language
3. Hindustani - 497 million speaks this language
4. Spanish - 392 million speaks this language


In my research I found spanish to be the 4th most widely spoken lanuage in the world.

www.soyouwanna.com type: Most widley spoken languages in the world into the search icon.
Besides English, Spanish is still the most common language in the West!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2009, 02:30 AM
 
223 posts, read 747,559 times
Reputation: 141
Default American!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Besides English, Spanish is still the most common language in the West!

Yeah, but I live in America when I need to speak to somebody I feel he or she if from another country should be able to speak to me in English.

I am all for schools teaching a second language, I have no problem with that. The U.S. population should know more than 1 language, but it dosen't have to be Spanish if you want to learn French or German in school thats your choice.

I shouldn't have to learn spanish to talk to or understand somebody in the U.S we already have a National Language and its English everyone should be aspected to learn English, and a second language if you wish to learn should be your choice of a language that you are interested in learning!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 02:52 AM
 
223 posts, read 747,559 times
Reputation: 141
Default Spanish are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Actually Spanish is considered one three most important business languages, right next to Mandarin and English.

India and China have the quickest growing economys of all other countries in the world. If you want to talk about business and investments India and China companies are great to invest in and do any kind of business with.

Hindi and Mandarin are spoken in those 2 countries and English is spoken in America and parts of Europe ( English is spoken around the world as well). So how is Spanish considered one of the three most improtant business languages in the world?

Can anybody name a spanish country that has big companies worth investing in or doing business with because I can't. Brazil's Economy is growing however not as nearly fast as India or China and other nations in Europe. Oh Yeah, I heard they mostly speak Pourtegese in Brazil not Spanish.

I wouldn't say spanish is a great business languge, but great if your on vacation in Mexico or the Caribbean.

However, I would rather be in Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Pacific less tourists, conjestion, and everybody knows English in those islands in the Pacific, don't need to speak Spanish over there.

Last edited by lugger; 08-30-2009 at 03:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 07:46 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I agree that we should not cater to immigrants and learn their language. I do however, believe that we should not stick to one language, we should learn a second language to be more competitive with the world business and employment market. I would not mind if children in schools would learn Chinese or any other language.
We have had no problem staying competitive in world business. English is the langauge of business all over the world.

As for employment, it has only been since this illegal invasion by Spanish speakers that mono-lingual English speakers are being discriminated against. If not for that there would be no problem. Bythe way these aren't "immigrants" we are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I agree that we should not cater to immigrants and learn their language. I do however, believe that we should not stick to one language, we should learn a second language to be more competitive with the world business and employment market. I would not mind if children in schools would learn Chinese or any other language.
It all depends on which business your in. It should stay an option and never be forced onto anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Texas
141 posts, read 242,914 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
The most widley spoken languages in the world:

1. Mandarin - 1 billion + speaks this language ( I believe this is a Chinese language, not sure )
2. English - 508 million speaks this language
3. Hindustani - 497 million speaks this language
4. Spanish - 392 million speaks this language


In my research I found spanish to be the 4th most widely spoken lanuage in the world.

www.soyouwanna.com type: Most widley spoken languages in the world into the search icon.

Maybe we should learn Mandarin 1 billion + speaks this language if I am right in thinking this is a Chinese language we should learn this language China is a World Leader in business and economy this could lead to more $ for the U.S. economy we are in a recession. Although business with China has its problems.
Yup, Mandarin is a Chinese language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
 
4,275 posts, read 7,889,300 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
Yup, Mandarin is a Chinese language.
English is more widely spoken than Mandarin, though; around the world it is the foreign language of choice. Within China students are learning English earlier and earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 06:40 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,109 times
Reputation: 13
This country is full of immigrants and many of us come here to commonly speak English. My parents had to take their citizenship test many times in English until they passed it. Except for the Spanish speaking people because my friend said they made it happen and that other immigrants are lazy and don't make it happen. It frustrates me when I CAN'T GET A JOB BECAUSE THERE IS A BIASED REQUIREMENT TO SPEAK SPANISH, THIS IS WRONG. I already speak another language and Enlish is my SECOND language. YOU SHALL NOT FORCE ME TO TO SPEND DECADES TRYING TO LEARN ANOTHER ONE WHEN IT ALREADY BENEFITS YOU, OR THOSE SPEAKING SPANISH! THIS IS OPPRESSION AND WE ARE AMERICANS NOW. Of course all people that speak languages other than the common English language has a right to speak it at work and wherever they please, HOWEVER, IT IS WRONG AND IT DISCRIMINATES AGAINST ME when you say I CAN'T GET A JOB BECAUSE I SPEAK SOMETHING OTHER THAN SPANISH. This IS NOT OPENING DIVERSITY and is EXTREMELY WRONG. I'm sure a lot of employees understand this situation and can't get jobs or know that they are being talked about in this language and I agree it is their right, BUT IT'S SO RUDE AND CREATES ANGER. STAND UP FOR YOURSELF AND NOTIFY THE DEPT. OF LABOR AND DON'T STOP THERE, STAND UP THE RIGHT WAY AND ABIDING TO OUR FREEDOM AS AMERICANS AND DON'T LET THEM FORCE YOU OUT OF A JOB BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SPEAK SPANISH. THIS IS A NATION OF ALL IMMIGRANTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
..You can say THAT again....!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
..You can say THAT again....!!
He/she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top