U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
With the plummeting birthrate of Hispanics? I think not. Besides; more and more of the illegal ones are self deporting as we speak between stricter enforcement and the jobs drying up.

Here in Arizona: attitudes are hardening towards the above; either assimilate (if legal) or leave. Too; quite a few Americans of 'Hispanic' heritage are pissed at the illegal invasion as well.
I know quite a few legal “Hispanics” and not ONE is an illegal alien supporter. As I’ve previously mentioned, some make me (a staunch anti-illegal) seem rather moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,115,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I was watching CNN's "Situation Room" this afternoon and saw a clip of Obama addressing a public group and making this quote:

"Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn english - they'll learn english - you need to make sure YOUR child can speak Spanish, you should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual."

I replayed his clip three times to ensure I had the wording correct, but this is exactly what he said. I don't know who his audience was, but I found this comment rather startling.

Seems the politicians forgot our history: in the 1700s, the country voted to adopt English over German as the official language -- too bad it wasn't put into the Constitution.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:03 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,666,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Maybe if the illegal immigrants in this country had learned to speak a second language (namely English), they wouldn't be facing the backlash they are facing now.

Hmm... ?
I disagree.

All the illegals I've worked with spoke enough functional English to be in the workplace. If anything, they are the ones getting screwed by employers who pay them less than others and knowingly violate employment laws.

Of the many jobs I've had working with illegal immigrants, I can say without reservation that every one exhibited a stronger work ethic than the better part of the legal caucasion staff.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,666,611 times
I'm just curious how many of you who villify every new immigrant who doesn't speak English do volunteer work to teach immigrants English?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 PM

1,486 posts, read 3,955,088 times
I'm glad Obama pointed this out. It's frankly an embarrassment that students in the US are not required to learn Spanish (and other languages) early on. Every modern country in Europe has their students learn multiple languages; I have friends that know 4 to 5 languages and more. Yet another example of the sorry state of our education system here in the US.

That all being said, I am not sure this kind of blunt talk will go over well with the average slack-jawed American. I can picture it now - your average, overweight American sitting in his Lazy Boy throwing his Big Gulp at the television yelling "I don't want to learn Messcan!"

Anyway, it will probably just give them another excuse to claim he is Muslim.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,213,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I'm glad Obama pointed this out. It's frankly an embarrassment that students in the US are not required to learn Spanish (and other languages) early on. Every modern country in Europe has their students learn multiple languages; I have friends that know 4 to 5 languages and more. Yet another example of the sorry state of our education system here in the US.

That all being said, I am not sure this kind of blunt talk will go over well with the average slack-jawed American. I can picture it now - your average, overweight American sitting in his Lazy Boy throwing his Big Gulp at the television yelling "I don't want to learn Messcan!"

Let's take that core point (in bold) in your posting. In looking at Obama's weak spot in gaining support isn't it the folks he referred to as holding onto their bibles and guns because they are economic losers (in his perception, anyway)?

Wouldn't this comment further alienate these folks, and also cause some folks who might sit out this election due to indifference to possibly get out and vote against him?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I'm just curious how many of you who villify every new immigrant who doesn't speak English do volunteer work to teach immigrants English?
I don't villify new legal immigrants (there is a difference, y'know) who do not speak English. I don't villify legal immigrants who can only manage basic English or speak with heavy accents after having lived here for decades. However, I have only disdain for immigrants who refuse to learn English. It is a slap in the face to latinos for implying that someone who grew up in Mexico City is too stupid to learn English whereas someone who grew up in hut in Africa and became a child soldier can.
As far as volunteering to teach English as a second language......where is Mecha? Where is laraza? Where are all the many hispanic advocacy groups? Oh, thats right --- they are lobbying for more bilingual signs.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post

So, are you saying that the average, overweight slack-jawed Latino sitting in his lowrider throwing his corona out the window is yelling "NO habla englis!" ? Because that would be racist, bigoted and especially flamatory Not to mention not accurate. But hey! Whatever is the easiest way to invalidate anothers viewpoint, right? Because it would just kill you to know that maybe -- just maybe, not all Americans are fat, lazy rednecks with no education and even less sense. Well, all Americans that don't agree with you that is. Because you see.....and this is the kicker so I do hope you are sitting down ---- people are not sweeping generalizations.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 PM

1,486 posts, read 3,955,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Let's take that core point (in bold) in your posting. In looking at Obama's weak spot in gaining support isn't it the folks he referred to as holding onto their bibles and guns because they are economic losers (in his perception, anyway)?

Wouldn't this comment further alienate these folks, and also cause some folks who might sit out this election due to indifference to possibly get out and vote against him?
Yes. That was my point.

The kind of people who believe he is Muslim or think he is "elitist" aren't normally the type of people who can take such blunt remarks. See the wailing and gnashing of the teeth about the "guns and Bibles" comment.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Legal immigrants I am willing to try to help with their English.

Illegal ones I am willing to show then to ICE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration