U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
969 posts, read 2,459,662 times
Reputation: 930

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Here we go with the refuse statement again. When did they say they refuse?
It has been shown time after time, that Hispanics are assimilating and learning English in the 2nd and 3rd Generations...the same rate as many immigration waves before.
I can assure you that when my grandparents arrived at Ellis Island in the early 1900's they didn't expect - nor did they receive - the ability to use their native language at the government level - no signs were produced in Russian/English - had there been a DMV the driving test would NOT have been "multi-cultural".

They expected to come here and learn ENGLISH - they came here to be AMERICANS - not Euro-Americans - not Russian Americans - AMERICANS.

Americans who speak - read - and write ENGLISH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Custume
Let me put it bluntly. For foreign languages, do you honestly think it is better for him to lear Spanish as opposed to Russian? Mandarin? Arabic? WHY? WHAT DO YOU THINK THE MOST LIKELY USE OF SPANISH FOR HIM OR ANYONE ELSE IS GOING TO BE?
Oh I don't know how about getting a promotion at work because you were the 1 person in the room that could speak to customers from Mexico or Spain? (Like I have - I work a White Collar IT Job too).

You might be able to carry on a conversation with a Cuban or Puerto Rican of whom you work with, then get invited to their house speak amongst their family and network in Spanish.

How about travel with your job to Mexico, Peru, and Spain thus making more $.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I can assure you that when my grandparents arrived at Ellis Island in the early 1900's they didn't expect - nor did they receive - the ability to use their native language at the government level - no signs were produced in Russian/English - had there been a DMV the driving test would NOT have been "multi-cultural".

They expected to come here and learn ENGLISH - they came here to be AMERICANS - not Euro-Americans - not Russian Americans - AMERICANS.

Americans who speak - read - and write ENGLISH
It has been noted that the assimilation of the Irish, Jews, Italians and somewhat Germans took 2 to 3 generations..which is exactly what Hispanics take today. I have posted the links to the articles and graphs many times before.

Quote:
IS AMERICA'S Anglo-Protestant-African-Catholic-Indian-German-Irish-Jewish-Italian-Slavic-Asian society in danger of "Hispanicization?" The obvious answer is "no." Every major new addition to American society has been viewed in its time as a potential agent of change. And this view has been correct: American society has continuously evolved. But "change" is not a synonym for "danger," and in no case has the essential fabric of America been endangered. Nor is it by the latest influx of mainly Mexican Hispanics.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n13779494

Last edited by Mach50; 07-09-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
NO ONE IS SAYING WE SHOULD NOT LEARN A SECOND LANGUAGE.
Isn't that basically the purpose of this topic in the first place? As I remember, somebody started bashing Obama for saying "Instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn english - they'll learn english - you need to make sure YOUR child can speak Spanish, you should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Here we go with the refuse statement again. When did they say they refuse?
It has been shown time after time, that Hispanics are assimilating and learning English in the 2nd and 3rd Generations...the same rate as many immigration waves before.

Let me ask a question, how many young hispanics do you know that don't know or are learning english?
I think you’re confusing “legal” Hispanics with “illegal.” I have little doubt the legal immigrants do in fact aspire to learn English. After all, they have played by the rules, and have a desire to become “American.” Conversely, “illegal aliens” have no regard for our laws or our culture, and are basically here to simply get what they can. Furthermore, the majority of illegals are functioning illiterates. It’s much more difficult to learn a second language when one has not even mastered a first. Herein lies the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I think you’re confusing “legal” Hispanics with “illegal.” I have little doubt the legal immigrants do in fact aspire to learn English. After all, they have played by the rules, and have a desire to become “American.” Conversely, “illegal aliens” have no regard for our laws or our culture, and are basically here to simply get what they can. Furthermore, the majority of illegals are functioning illiterates. It’s much more difficult to learn a second language when one has not even mastered a first. Herein lies the problem.
Did Obama Mention something about illegals? I thought we were talking about Americans learning Spanish in general and people are still saying Hispanics refuse.


Grasonville did not mention illegals in this post:

Quote:
I can assure you that when my grandparents arrived at Ellis Island in the early 1900's they didn't expect - nor did they receive - the ability to use their native language at the government level - no signs were produced in Russian/English - had there been a DMV the driving test would NOT have been "multi-cultural".

They expected to come here and learn ENGLISH - they came here to be AMERICANS - not Euro-Americans - not Russian Americans - AMERICANS.

Americans who speak - read - and write ENGLISH
Here is something for you all:

Quote:
IS AMERICA'S Anglo-Protestant-African-Catholic-Indian-German-Irish-Jewish-Italian-Slavic-Asian society in danger of "Hispanicization?" The obvious answer is "no." Every major new addition to American society has been viewed in its time as a potential agent of change. And this view has been correct: American society has continuously evolved. But "change" is not a synonym for "danger," and in no case has the essential fabric of America been endangered. Nor is it by the latest influx of mainly Mexican Hispanics.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n13779494
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You are correct: it is getting old correcting
Bottom line: I do not want those losers in my nation. Mexico (the biggest source of illegals) needs to grow up and take responsibility for its 'little brown ones'-------funny how one seldom sees a White illegal from SOB here.
I don't want anybody who makes comments like this living in the United States...it's shocking what you people come up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I don't want anybody who makes comments like this living in the United States...it's shocking what you people come up with.
What do you disagree with? The concept that Mexico should take responsibility for it's own impoverished citizens instead of encouraging them to head for the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Did Obama Mention something about illegals? I thought we were talking about Americans learning Spanish in general and people are still saying Hispanics refuse.
Of course Obama didn't mention illegals; and I offered my opinion of why some "Hispanics" will not learn English. We cannot ignore illegals as being a factor in the Spanish-speaking equation. Why are you being so defensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
As I have stated in the past:

It would behoove Mexico and possibly parts of Central America to learn English.

The odds are much, much greater that Manifest Destiny will come to pass vs. Mexico being a great power any time soon.

The cold reality is the USA is (still) a powerhouse whereas Mexico is a sick, dysfunctional society that is deteriorating as we speak. Even Mach50 stated with the drug gangs/Zetas--------there is a high possibility that Mx is already in deep trouble as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top