Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
He was pandering to the open borders pro-amnesty group, LULAC. I believe he's scheduled for another panderfest with La Raza next week.

I am not opposed to people being bilingual, but the tone of his speech was rather disturbing. This may in fact backfire on him.
It did for me - the tone was "why should people push for English as an official language"

I'll tell him why - because this is the USA - not Mexico - or El Salvador - I should not have to "push ONE for English" - As a tax payer I should not have to provide the written driving test in Maryland in 17 languages - the street signs are English.

Everytime a government document MUST be duplicated in another language to serve the people who come here but want to remain English illiterate - it COSTS MONEY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:45 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
Straw man arguments, virtually every one of them. NO ONE IS SAYING WE SHOULD NOT LEARN A SECOND LANGUAGE. And virtually every one of these points is true no matter whether the language is Spanish or Tagalog or Swahili or Afrikaans or whatever.
Do I have the post the map of Spanish Speakers again? You realize this side of the world is mostly Spanish speaking right? 33 million people in the US already speak Spanish.

But you go ahead and teach your kids Russian, Mandarin and Arabic, it is better than nothing. I love the way you equate Spanish = Utility.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Do I have the post the map of Spanish Speakers again? You realize this side of the world is mostly Spanish speaking right? 33 million people in the US already speak Spanish.
Are you including the 20 million illegals?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 AM

218 posts, read 437,823 times
Quote:

But you go ahead and teach your kids Russian, Mandarin and Arabic, it is better than nothing. I love the way you equate Spanish = Utility.
Why do you have such difficulty answering a simple question? Why do you have such a predilection for making up things about what I said?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Are you including the 20 million illegals?
Oh is 20 million today? I thought it was 30? or 12? or ...just throw a random() out there.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:54 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
If Americans learned Spanish:

1) We would unite most of the Western Globe
2) It would be easier to learn other Latin based languages like: French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian...
3) It will make you more valuable on your job.
4) Allow you to travel and speak to people in Spain, Mexico, Peru..etc.
5) Americans would finally be considered a bi-lingual country just like much of Europe.

1. And then we could all hold hands and sing Kum-bay-ya
2. And we could learn French as a second language and do the same thing
3. How??? Yea, all those line workers really need to speak Spanish to be able to do their line work .. come on!
4. I can travel most anywhere and find an English speaker too
5. Didn't we fight a revolutionary war to get the puck away from Europe?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
If Americans learned Spanish:

1) We would unite most of the Western Globe
2) It would be easier to learn other Latin based languages like: French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian...
3) It will make you more valuable on your job.
4) Allow you to travel and speak to people in Spain, Mexico, Peru..etc.
5) Americans would finally be considered a bi-lingual country just like much of Europe.
1. Nope, then what about Canada?
2. Actually my HS french teacher says its actually harder to learn french after learning spanish.
3. What if i have a CIA job? The second language you need there is arabic.
4. Spain, Mexico, and Peru may not be destinations for Americans.
5. America has always done okay with one language.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
Why do you have such difficulty answering a simple question? Why do you have such a predilection for making up things about what I said?
I answered you on why Spanish would be better to learn in the US than any other language.

All I get from you is a condensending attitude about Spanish speaking would be a utility to speak with people:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron von costume
(the overwhelming majority of whom I will never come in contact with). That may enhance my quality of life if I am sitting at Dodger Stadium next to a guy who cannot speak Enlgish.
So please if you think Spanish as "
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron von costume
Spanish should be down the list.
Then what can I really say to your descending attitude towards the language? Except state facts that this country already has a large # Spanish speakers and this side of Globe is primarily Spanish Speaking.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Oh is 20 million today? I thought it was 30? or 12? or ...just throw a random() out there.
Sine the USA is a country of MANY ethnic origins - I see no reason to pick the language of less than 10 percent of the total population.

Makes MUCH more financial and cultural sense to bring those 10 percent over to where the 90 percent are.

Speak Spanish (or French or German or Kurdish) at HOME - speak - read - write ENGLISH in public .

It is very simple - I am tired of being expected to cater to the minority who refuse to wake up and get with the program.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Sine the USA is a country of MANY ethnic origins - I see no reason to pick the language of less than 10 percent of the total population.

Makes MUCH more financial and cultural sense to bring those 10 percent over to where the 90 percent are.

Speak Spanish (or French or German or Kurdish) at HOME - speak - read - write ENGLISH in public .

It is very simple - I am tired of being expected to cater to the minority who refuse to wake up and get with the program.
Here we go with the refuse statement again. When did they say they refuse?
It has been shown time after time, that Hispanics are assimilating and learning English in the 2nd and 3rd Generations...the same rate as many immigration waves before.

Let me ask a question, how many young hispanics do you know that don't know or are learning english?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration