U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,805,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Some of the almost 10,000 members of the National Education Association (NEA) attending the teachers union's annual conference this week in the nation's capital spoke out on the issues they hope their lobbyists will fight for during next year's legislative session, including the establishment of a peace academy, in-state college tuition and a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who graduate from high school(aka dream act).
CNSNews.com - NEA Seeks Peace Academy, College, Citizenship for Illegal Aliens (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=24139 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,155,436 times
I don't know how much you know about the NEA. Having been a member for over 35 years, I know a lot.(I am retired now) First off, they have been totally hijacked by the leftwing liberals, but far from all teachers are leftwing crazies. If you ( as a union) support every nut group in the world so they support you, what happens is you get away from education and into the arena of being a "we support every politically correct cause" union. It wasn't like that when I started teaching 35 years ago... at that time they supported education, only education. Politicians supported them for education, only education.

Those 10,000 members at the national convention represent several million members. They are not the "average" teacher; They are the ardent left wingnuts who live for conventions and getting into union positions at state and national levels...and at state and national, they have committees to write resolutions -- so insane ones get adopted. [Go on the union website and read resolutions; this is far from the most insane]. Getting political backing is important. Up to a few weeks ago, they were pro-hillary.... when she dumped out, they evidently went obama. They are looking for money to school districts - if they have to kissup to political baloney, they will.

For the record, to try and keep the playing field with a voice from another view, both my husband and I were local reps and state reps, only never national. We are constantly accused of being conservative and blind to the needs of things like illegals. Personally, I do care less what the national does.. I am anything but the type of person portrayed here.

Don't judge unions on what you see reported by their press people. It is just political.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,195,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I don't know how much you know about the NEA. Having been a member for over 35 years, I know a lot.(I am retired now) First off, they have been totally hijacked by the leftwing liberals, but far from all teachers are leftwing crazies. If you ( as a union) support every nut group in the world so they support you, what happens is you get away from education and into the arena of being a "we support every politically correct cause" union. It wasn't like that when I started teaching 35 years ago... at that time they supported education, only education. Politicians supported them for education, only education.

Those 10,000 members at the national convention represent several million members. They are not the "average" teacher; They are the ardent left wingnuts who live for conventions and getting into union positions at state and national levels...and at state and national, they have committees to write resolutions -- so insane ones get adopted. [Go on the union website and read resolutions; this is far from the most insane]. Getting political backing is important. Up to a few weeks ago, they were pro-hillary.... when she dumped out, they evidently went obama. They are looking for money to school districts - if they have to kissup to political baloney, they will.

For the record, to try and keep the playing field with a voice from another view, both my husband and I were local reps and state reps, only never national. We are constantly accused of being conservative and blind to the needs of things like illegals. Personally, I do care less what the national does.. I am anything but the type of person portrayed here.

Don't judge unions on what you see reported by their press people. It is just political.
Absolutely. My father is a retired teacher and has nothing in common with the liberal left wing nut jobs that run the NEA. He is very moderate but would probably be viewed as a right winger if compared to the people who run the NEA. He is against any amnesty or program to help illegals-including the Nightmare Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or