U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:03 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,001,155 times

Advertisements

Moved from the Miami forum. This discussion is about immigration not about Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Positives: Lower crime rate, less poverty, not having to pay for their medical expenses, re-gaining American culture (ex. Texas losing it's southerness), less threat to national security, less racial tension in parts of California etc.

Negatives: They do a lot of the jobs Americans don't want to do, without them there might food shortages because they contribute a lot by harvesting crops and working in California, can't think of anything else

oh and fyi, America's economy won't collapse if we get rid of illegals, America's economy was fine (if not better) than when it had waves of illegals started flooding it. Also when they don't pay taxes and the U.S goverment has to pay for their medical expenses and their education isn't that hurting the economy?

anyway the postives outweigh the negatives by far
I don't think crime would drop that drastically.

And Texas isnt losing its "southerness" because of illegal immigrants, but because of the California transplants probably. But then again, I guess that is a product of the illegal immigrants as well, since thats what people are running from, haha.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Short term pain; yes.

Long term gain.

Using just Mexico here due to over 50% of the illegals come from that nation; with its plummeting birthrate (almost replacement level now), in 5-10 years it will be dealing with labor shortages as well. Oh well......if that is what it takes for Mx to pay its people living wages-------so be it.

As I have stated in the past: if the USA is that addicted to illegal immigrant labor-----we do not deserve to survive as a nation.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Short term pain; yes.

Long term gain.
Using just Mexico here due to over 50% of the illegals come from that nation; with its plummeting birthrate (almost replacement level now), in 5-10 years it will be dealing with labor shortages as well. Oh well......if that is what it takes for Mx to pay its people living wages-------so be it.

As I have stated in the past: if the USA is that addicted to illegal immigrant labor-----we do not deserve to survive as a nation.
Great way to describe immigration.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I don't think crime would drop that drastically.
Leaving admitted the fact that crime would DROP.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Grim statistics regarding Hispanic immigrants.

Get to know the Hispanics around you

Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Leaving admitted the fact that crime would DROP.
If there was a million criminals minus one, that would be crime dropping.
I don't deny the fact that some illegals commit crime(they are after all HUMAN meaning some are bad some are good). I just don't subscribe to all the fear being instilled into your head that all illegals want to kill and rape you.

But if the only way you can have something to gloat about is by twisting words to your meaning, by all means do it.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Grim statistics regarding Hispanic immigrants.

Get to know the Hispanics around you
I dont think that is just about "immigrants" but the Latino community as a whole.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 AM

218 posts, read 392,468 times
Quote:
I dont think that is just about "immigrants" but the Latino community as a whole.
A point I was trying to make in another thread.

And it actually makes the problem more, not less, acute. I would bet that among the illegal population, the percentage of those with a HS degree is lower than the 57% quoted here. So what we have then is waves of people that have, largely, limited to no useful education.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Quote:
If there was a million criminals minus one, that would be crime dropping.
I don't deny the fact that some illegals commit crime(they are after all HUMAN meaning some are bad some are good). I just don't subscribe to all the fear being instilled into your head that all illegals want to kill and rape you.

But if the only way you can have something to gloat about is by twisting words to your meaning, by all means do it.
What words did I twist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or