U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
But the "grimm statistics" were taken from a web site that also has the following.
Get to know the Hispanics around you
Good points, but it ignores the 'march of time', and our ever-changing situation re: our society, our economy, our 'expectations', etc. I just posted words to this effect on the "Hispanic birthrate" thread, if you're interested. What was once "OK" (even including a certain amount of illegal immigration") is not guaranteed to ALWAYS be "OK".....and what was appropriate in 1930..or 1970....or 1990....MAY not be appropriate in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 PM

608 posts, read 881,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good points, but it ignores the 'march of time', and our ever-changing situation re: our society, our economy, our 'expectations', etc. I just posted words to this effect on the "Hispanic birthrate" thread, if you're interested. What was once "OK" (even including a certain amount of illegal immigration") is not guaranteed to ALWAYS be "OK".....and what was appropriate in 1930..or 1970....or 1990....MAY not be appropriate in 2008.
Agreed. This is an issue that will change with the times especially during times of economic crisis or "heightened economic emotion" is more appropriate. The problem is the US does not have a tried and true policy on immigration however, the perceived government view on immigration is consistent with the deregulatory trends during our last few decades since the early 80s.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:16 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
I'm not against immigration, I'm against illegal immigration. I forget the exact number but something like 70,000 sex offenders and criminals from Mexico crossed the border illegaly to live in the United States. Now I know most people crossing the border are just looking for a better life but what about those 70,000 criminals that are going to wind up in your neighborhoods, your cities, and put you and you're family at risk? And yes Texas is infact losing it's southerness, it's southern culture is being replaced with a spanish one or how do you explain that Hispanics now make up more the majority of the Texas population?
Poor Tejanos. How are they going to enjoy their Tex-Mex with all these Mex-Mex around.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Poor Tejanos. How are they going to enjoy their Tex-Mex with all these Mex-Mex around.
I was back home in June (I am in Germany currently) and noticed more Mex-Mex-Tex places replacing the Tex-Mex locations. Sorry bad joke. Tex-Mex locations are still there.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I was back home in June (I am in Germany currently) and noticed more Mex-Mex-Tex places replacing the Tex-Mex locations. Sorry bad joke. Tex-Mex locations are still there.
Ive yet to try Tex-Mex. I hope it's better than the Mexican food I had in Louisiana. I asked for an horchata and the waiter thought I was talking to him in Spanish.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:49 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I don't believe for one minute the US would suffer if they deported all the illegals, the American citizens would step up to the plate and demand a little more money and do all their jobs, plus the US would save money on healthcare, welfare, etc on illegal aliens. Alot of people don't have faith in the American Citizen.
Also, it's a bunch of BS, because even if companies paid what they're supposed to with U.S. citizens in the jobs, they have such ridiculously high profits that it would NOT make a difference to THEM. They do NOT have to "suffer" because the illegals leave. They're supposed to be paying the correct rates anyway, so NOW they are breaking the law.

So, the companies would now have to follow the law? Awww........too bad.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Ive yet to try Tex-Mex. I hope it's better than the Mexican food I had in Louisiana. I asked for an horchata and the waiter thought I was talking to him in Spanish.
Well good Tex-Mex is great and addictive. I really miss it. Don't even attempt to look for it or Mexican food if you come to Europe.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
TD*

1,480 posts, read 2,955,268 times
its to bad that the people here speak without education. If you only new the truth, and considered others, this world is about sharing, not advancing and kicking others out.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
its to bad that the people here speak without education. If you only new the truth, and considered others, this world is about sharing, not advancing and kicking others out.
Tell that to Mexico when that nation is confronted with illegal immigrants from Guatemala-----the Mx Patrulla Frontera ain't nice.

BTW: the latter nation was part of Mexico as well after 1821.

As for the USA: we are a sovereign nation and have the right to secure our borders.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:25 PM

140 posts, read 280,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Also, it's a bunch of BS, because even if companies paid what they're supposed to with U.S. citizens in the jobs, they have such ridiculously high profits that it would NOT make a difference to THEM. They do NOT have to "suffer" because the illegals leave. They're supposed to be paying the correct rates anyway, so NOW they are breaking the law.

So, the companies would now have to follow the law? Awww........too bad.
I guess you do not know the highest cost to ANY company, especially here in the US, is labor! Why do you think when there is a company shake up, the first thing new management does is to lay people off!

This is what Phil Graham -and I am not a Republican- was referring to when he said we have become a nation of whiners. We just can not have it all. We must compromise sometimes in order to get what we ultimately want.

I.e., in SC recently a bill was presented to increase tougher sanctions against employers hiring illegal aliens. When interviewed, a produce farmer (a white man) complained that out of the 400 positions he needs to fill to do the work only 8 were US citizens, and the rest were aliens b/c it is extremely difficult to find citizens willing to perform such labor and with the kind of pay. If the bill is to pass, this farmer will likely go out of business, the produce he collects will then have to be most likely imported (from China or India), affecting the local economy needless to say, resulting in loss of jobs and tax revenue, and ultimately (esp with today's oil prices) it will cost more to the consumer, helping drive up inflation, etc, etc.

We ALLOWED most of these people in, because of business reasons, and now we are being led to the impression these people are a virus to our society (much like the gay marriage thing in 2004). Why do you think then we enjoyed the prosperity of recent years, who do you think helped drive costs down for construction, tourism, food, etc. I'm not saying illegal immigration was the sole reason for it but it did play a part.

It is us that allowed the entrance of these people with total lack of control, b/c it was convenient (we payed a blind eye unwillingly), we stopped enforcing our borders, which is why a lot of bad elements did come our way, smugglers, drug dealers and so forth, all for the sake of business during both the Clinton and Bush administrations.
That does not mean all immigrants are rotten apples, all the opposite, these people are good savers, they typically -when they were allowed b/c most of these people can not even buy homes now- had a down payment for a house, as a matter of fact they have the lowest foreclosure ratio of ANY group, despite these people, b/c of their status had to pay rates worse than subprime loans at 9,10+%

Yes, we complain too much, we are even mad at these people for sending money to their families they left behind to work here as janitors here, when it is ourselves who have told them they can not buy a home here, neither a car or obtain a drivers license or insurance, yet it is ok for them to clean out toilets and pick our produce, and live in a ****hole with 20 more of them b/c in some places they can not even rent a decent place!

I'm all in favor for tougher regulation and border control but in order to do so we must compromise, we need to address the problem of those already here, those who have behaved as good citizens and are even willing to pay hefty fines. Yes send all those bad apples back, all those with criminal records, gang members, etc, and start devicing ways to really enforce the borders, with innovation not an stupid wall, that has never worked! We can do better than that!

Out of the 12+ million of illegal aliens living here, if we resolve the status of those who are proven to be assets to our towns, I'm pretty sure we can get a decent injection to our econmy if we allow them to come out of the shadows, buy cars, buy homes (gosh knows our housing markets desperately needs any kind of help). All done with prudence, and under a well collected and organized plan. No more of these awful improvisation we have been getting from Washington, from both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or