U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:12 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
That's funny, because you base so many of your opinions on one or two people you speak with on the matter.
I never heard of any kind of hate between Hispanics and Native Americans. Why do you think so many Native Americans have Spanish names?

Look at our culture(American). 15-20 years ago, everybody was Blonde and/or White on TV. It wasn't until recently you started seeing more minorities on television in America.
Just the way it is. White controls the world, White is upheld as the vision of beauty.
And you also hold a very narrow concept of what a Mestizo looks like. Your race-obsessed mind should by now realize that Mestizos come in many different shades. I doubt there aren't a few if more people on those sets that have Indian blood in them. I don't know why you insist on the White supremacy of an entire country based on what they show on television.

And you talk about all of these supposed tensions between groups and the Hispanic community, you are clearly not just talking about illegals.

Sorry, but I'm going with ArizonaBear on this one.

Mexican media is pretty much all Spaniards, or majority Spanish blood. The blondes may be fake (along with the breasts), but you're not seeing a Mayan Indian woman in the lead role, and you're not going to find a guy who looks like the ones cutting grass in the medians of highways in the US on a telenovella.

It's kind of pointless, by the way, to say that "Mestizos come in many different shades." White people and black people come in many different shades too. All that matters is how one is perceived by society, right? Otherwise we'd refer to Barack Obama as "America's first serious mulatto contender for President."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Okay..if this guy was "known" then why didn't benicar mention a name? It is not up to me to find out who this unknown man benicar is talking about is it?
Why do you act like such a baby? Here's your pacifier....

Quote:
JEFF FREDERICK (R), VIRGINIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY: Well I'm the member -- I'm a one-person member of the Hispanic caucus of the Virginia assembly, the first and only Latino elected to the --

DOBBS: I didn't realize that.

JEFF FREDERICK: In our 400-year history. And the fact is I've never really been associated with these groups. My mother from Colombia, I know a lot of people that are from South America, Latin America, and I don't know anyone who's a member or part of these groups or who participates in these activities.

So, frankly, you know, of all the people that I know, of all the Latinos, you know, from -- from Virginia to Florida and all around, not one of them are involved in these groups. And frankly, these groups just don't speak for the Latino community.
Click the link for the entire interview. TOS prohibits me from posting more.
BTW, you are well aware that I am female, so you can cut the he/she crap.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

CNN.com - Transcripts
I was searching for that transcript but could not remember the day. I'd rep you if I could. Since I can't I'll replace it with a kudos to ya!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Think about it: 20+ years ago, the USA was about 75+% White.

As for non Nordic White actors:

Desi Arnaz (OK, he would be Hispanic today-------50 years ago he counted as White)
Ricardo Montaban (refer to above)
Ida Lupino
Victor Mature
Anette Funicello
Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin

Etc.

As for Blacks: they have come a long ways in just the last 30 years between the end of the Jim Crow laws and that 'race' taking responsibility for itself.
So having whites on tv makes the whole country and people white supremacist?
Thats a heavy term, and you throw it around way too freely.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:

CNN.com - Transcripts

Quote:
HAHA, you guys are incredible, Jeff Frederick the self proclaimed one person member of Virginia Assembly's hispanic caucus, on cnn said few people in the legal hispanic community embrace La Raza so that must be the absolute truth.
My point still stands.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I was searching for that transcript but could not remember the day. I'd rep you if I could. Since I can't I'll replace it with a kudos to ya!
Thanks!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
My point still stands.
I would expect nothing more from you; you're so incredibly predictable. I bet if I looked up the word “intransigent” in the dictionary, your picture would be displayed.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
I would expect nothing more from you; you're so incredibly predictable. I bet if I looked up the word “intransigent” in the dictionary, your picture would be displayed.
And you are not?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Thanks!
You're welcome. I'm new to this board but I really enjoy your posts.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
And you are not?
I may be predictable, but I'm certainly not intransigent. Unlike you, I don’t have delusions of omnipotence.

And thanks again, JDubsMom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or