U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:05 AM

107 posts, read 290,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I have to say: Besides the fact that AMC is going to slam you on this one, this actually COULD be interpreted as anti-Hispanic. Most of your posts are anti-ILLEGAL as opposed to anti-Hispanic, but this one kind of crosses the line.
I have always prided myself in the fact that I am the only gringo I actually know who knows how to speak fluent Spanish, and I have many hispanic friends. The majority (is there a stronger word for majority?) of illegal immigrant offenders are hispanic, and that wrightly or wrongly translates into Americans innocently inferring that even if they are not here illegally, they are somehow aligned with the "cause" : immigration is good and the U.S. should be a bi-lingual nation like Canada so that everyone can be happy. You'll have to excuse crisp as he is sometimes oversensitive to hispanic issues being that he is used to more sympathetic forums such as the one in Miami. The main question is where this country will be in 50 years?

Will the state houses of congress be conducted in Spanish and English, with translators and ear phones like the United Nations or the Nuremburg trials?

Will the Southwest secede after a severe U.S. depression in 2040 and become part of Mexico?

Will the minority become the majority? By 2050 will it be a rarity to have a non-hispanic on a presidential ballot?

Last edited by EventHorizon; 07-13-2008 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: spelling error duh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 12:21 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,283,941 times
EventHorizon:

Will the state houses of congress be conducted in Spanish and English, with translators and ear phones like the United Nations or the Nuremburg trials?
-No. Government meetings will be conducted exclusively in English like they are now.

Will the Southwest secede after a severe U.S. depression in 2040 and become part of Mexico?
-No. Why would the Southwest leave a country as wealthy as the US and go to Mexico? Most second/third-generation Mexican-Americans don't even speak Spanish, let alone the non-Hispanic white, black, and Asian people.

Will the minority become the majority? By 2050 will it be a rarity to have a non-hispanic on a presidential ballot?
-Hispanics will only compose about 25% of the US population in 2050. Furthermore, the government is likely to stop using the term "white non-Hispanic" and will probably replace it with just "white" in order to move white Hispanics from "minority" to "majority" status. This way, the US will still be well over 50% "white" in 2050. If this change doesn't occur, the US is forecast to be at about 50% white non-Hispanic and 50% "minority" (including whites of Hispanic origin) in that year.
-I would be SHOCKED if it were a rarity to have a non-Hispanic name on the presidential ballot.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:25 AM

29 posts, read 151,890 times
Smile Anti-illegal...

Quote:
I have to say: Besides the fact that AMC is going to slam you on this one, this actually COULD be interpreted as anti-Hispanic. Most of your posts are anti-ILLEGAL as opposed to anti-Hispanic, but this one kind of crosses the line.

I agree

Old 07-13-2008, 12:26 AM

107 posts, read 290,969 times
Quote:
EventHorizon:

-No. Government meetings will be conducted exclusively in English like they are now.

-No. Why would the Southwest leave a country as wealthy as the US and go to Mexico? Most second/third-generation Mexican-Americans don't even speak Spanish, let alone the non-Hispanic white, black, and Asian people.

-Hispanics will only compose about 25% of the US population in 2050. Furthermore, the government is likely to stop using the term "white non-Hispanic" and will probably replace it with just "white" in order to move white Hispanics from "minority" to "majority" status. This way, the US will still be well over 50% "white" in 2050. If this change doesn't occur, the US is forecast to be at about 50% white non-Hispanic and 50% "minority" (including whites of Hispanic origin) in that year.
-I would be SHOCKED if it were a rarity to have a non-Hispanic name on the presidential ballot.
50 years ago they would have said the same thing about "pressing 2" for Spanish on the phone like we do today. They would have called it ludicrous, and that it would never happen in this country...

It's what the Supreme Court often refers to as a slippery slope. But I hope you're right for both our sakes.

Last edited by EventHorizon; 07-13-2008 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 01:02 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
50 years ago they would have said the same thing about "pressing 2" for Spanish on the phone like we do today. They would have called it ludacris, and that it would never happen in this country...

It's what the Supreme Court often refers to as a slippery slope. But I hope you're right for both our sakes.
Ludacris is a singer, ludicrous is the word you're looking for.

(Sorry, but my inner spelling Nazi got the better of me...)

Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Quote:
How would "And; let that serve as a warning to any other racial/ethnic group who dares to come to the USA illegally and demands 'rights' which do not apply to lawbreakers." be anti-hispanic or racist?

I think it's very racist to insist that "hispanics" have some special racist right to break the immigration and other laws of this country while other ethnic groups do not.

To insist that borders be wide open and unenforced for one ethnic group is racist, to say that all groups equally cannot come here and demand 'rights' simply is not racist unless an exception is made for one group -- which is closer to what the pro-hispanic-illegals obviously are all about.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:22 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,900,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How would "And; let that serve as a warning to any other racial/ethnic group who dares to come to the USA illegally and demands 'rights' which do not apply to lawbreakers." be anti-hispanic or racist?

I think it's very racist to insist that "hispanics" have some special racist right to break the immigration and other laws of this country while other ethnic groups do not.

To insist that borders be wide open and unenforced for one ethnic group is racist, to say that all groups equally cannot come here and demand 'rights' simply is not racist unless an exception is made for one group -- which is closer to what the pro-hispanic-illegals obviously are all about.
absolutely correct

Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,736 times
Quote:
EventHorizon:

I agree with crisp here. What will happen is what happened with many Italians: simply, the definition of "white" will change once again to absorb the white Hispanics.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas View Post
I agree with crisp here. What will happen is what happened with many Italians: simply, the definition of "white" will change once again to absorb the white Hispanics.
Which may wind up leaving the Mestizo, etc. Hispanics out in the cold------again. Just like back in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or