U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:36 PM

608 posts, read 880,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I canít speak for anyone else, but I have never implied that Hispanics or any ethnicity is inferior or superior to others. I am opposed to illegal immigration, and for that, I do not apologize.

BTW, I have a son who is of "Hispanic" descent.
As I said hard to tell when you reply...
Quote:
Why should the taxes of hard-working citizens be used to support the irresponsible breeding habits of illegal aliens?
in a thread specifically named Hispanic Birth Rate... where illegal aliens are used interchangeably with Hispanic and more specifically Mexican in this particular forum thread. i am not picking on you just trying to keep things in perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 21 days ago)

9,058 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
As I said hard to tell when you reply... in a thread specifically named Hispanic Birth Rate... where illegal aliens are used interchangeably with Hispanic and more specifically Mexican in this particular forum thread. i am not picking on you just trying to keep things in perspective.
Use of the Transitive Property of Equality is popular in this forum:

If A = B
and B = C
then A= C

Old 07-10-2008, 01:52 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
As I said hard to tell when you reply... in a thread specifically named Hispanic Birth Rate... where illegal aliens are used interchangeably with Hispanic and more specifically Mexican in this particular forum thread. i am not picking on you just trying to keep things in perspective.
Sometimes itís hard to make the distinction, given the fact that those supporting illegal immigration routinely and deliberately do not differentiate between legal and illegal Hispanics. According to them, there is no difference.

Also, we all tend to go off topic on occasion. I plead guilty.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Use of the Transitive Property of Equality is popular in this forum:

If A = B
and B = C
then A= C
True...in a number of cases..

(1) "Racists are opposed to illegals...therefore, those who are opposed to illegals are racists"

(2) "Many suicide bombers are Muslims...therefore, those who are opposed to suicide bombers are opposed to Islam"...

(3) "Most illegal immigrants are Hispanic...therefore most Hispanics are illegal immigrants"

(4) "Vermont has few minorities compared with Mississippi...therefore Mississippi is a more tolerant state than Vermont"...

(5) "Spanish speakers like to conduct business in Spanish, because it's comfortable for them to do so. English speakers like to conduct business in English, because they're xenophobes"...

(6) "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 4,061,585 times
Quote:
I think we all know that the article is about illegal aliens, but it has become politically incorrect to use the term illegal alien, so Hispanic immigrant is used in its place. I myself have absolutely no problem with Hispanic Americans, or Hispanic immigrants who come here legally. I have plenty of friends who are Hispanic. My problem is the ILLEGAL part.

I think when statements like this are used in the article:
Quote:
Because more than half of births to Hispanic immigrants are to low-income women who have no high school degree, a natural population increase challenges communities, says Steve Camarota, research director at the Center for Immigration Studies, which promotes limits on immigration.

"It's a huge growth in low-income population and low tax payments," he says. "If the town is not viable economically, immigration is not going to fix that problem."
It's probably safe to say that we are talking about illegal, and not legal immigrants, since most of the immigrants coming here legally are not uneducated, poor, and failed to graduate high school. The article is just trying to be PC by not using the term "illegal".

Old 07-10-2008, 03:11 PM

355 posts, read 1,265,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I think we all know that the article is about illegal aliens, but it has become politically incorrect to use the term illegal alien, so Hispanic immigrant is used in its place. I myself have absolutely no problem with Hispanic Americans, or Hispanic immigrants who come here legally. I have plenty of friends who are Hispanic. My problem is the ILLEGAL part.

It's probably safe to say that we are talking about illegal, and not legal immigrants, since most of the immigrants coming here legally are not uneducated, poor, and failed to graduate high school. The article is just trying to be PC by not using the term "illegal".
Yes "illegal alien" is politically incorrect. I prefer the term "uncaught criminal".

Old 07-10-2008, 05:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:

According to US Government guidelines: the correct term is indeed 'Illegal Alien'-------and, a green card holder is a Legal Alien.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:45 AM

608 posts, read 880,836 times
Quote:

But everything must be taken into context especially articles that are quoted. I am not convinced pro/con but do try to look at the whole picture. As in all cases there are two sides to every story both good and bad. These are the last 6 paragraphs in the article. As I have said before, we need a viable, sustainable and realistic solution that takes a holistic approach considering the short term as well as the long term outcome. Knee jerk reactions are often short sighted. When we realize we made the wrong decisions it is more often than not too late.

Con
Quote:
"It's put a strain on our emergency services," says Rusty Moye, county administrator, who says the number of Hispanics is underestimated. "They're actually using our emergency rooms as their health clinics because when they get sick, they have no doctor. They're all indigents."
Con
Quote:
Despite newcomers' boost to dwindling populations, communities are not always convinced that supporting them is worth the cost.
Con
Quote:
"It can create real challenges in the long term," says Steve Camarota, research director for the Center for Immigration Studies, a group that favors limiting immigration.
Pro
Quote:
For a nation bracing to support 79 million Baby Boomers in their old age, the growing and younger population of Hispanics should be viewed as economic salvation, says Dowell Myers, demographer at the University of Southern California and author of Immigrants and Boomers: Forging a New Social Contract for the Future of America.
Pro
Quote:
"Children are always a fiscal burden, yet children are also the lifeblood of every community," he says. "What's killing Japan and threatening the economic future of Europe is that they don't have enough kids, and that's what's depriving these rural areas in America."
Pro
Quote:
The upward mobility of immigrants is not visible until they have been here awhile, Myers says. His research shows substantial progress the longer they're in the USA. As Baby Boomers age, "immigration may be the best way to get needed workers, taxpayers and home buyers," he says.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:03 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
As for Baby Boomers retiring at age 65---------that pipe dream is gone.

Hell: as a group we are healthier than our parents were at the same ages let alone our grandparents.

The cold reality is that retirement age needs to truly reflect today's life expectancy-----which is now pushing age 80. Age 65 ain't old these days

Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,272,131 times
Why do we always blame this on being Hispanic and not place the blame where it truly belongs: Catholicism. My Irish-Catholic grandfather was one of 12. His whole neighborhood in the South Side of Chicago was in a similar situation. Too many kids, not enough money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration