U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:19 PM

10,010 posts, read 11,670,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
How did cattle get into this ? "Rounding them up," were not my words, they were Ikes.

""deport them" is beyond this country's abilities at this point."'Words from the mouth of a true liberal....
I cant give you any rep points right now so i am giving you smilies!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 02:24 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,806,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Let's completely disregard Jim280 on this thread and get back to halfway intelligent discussion.
The only way you liberals think a discussion is intelligent is when no one opposes you ! And you can sit around blindfolded and say lets save the world....Well let me inform you, so far you liberals have not done to good at it!

Old 01-23-2007, 02:47 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,502,761 times
Quote:
The only way you liberals think a discussion is intelligent is when no one opposes you ! And you can sit around blindfolded and say lets save the world....Well let me inform you, so far you liberals have not done to good at it!
texasborn, ok, letís say for the sake of the discussion that no one objects to the mass deportation of illegal immigrants. So the discussion is who is responsible for rounding them up? Is it the police? Sheriff? Federal government? How do we identify who is illegal and who is not? Is there some acceptable ďroomĒ for error if we round up and deport legal immigrants and/or citizens? Whoever is in charge now of this mass deportation project, who will assume their current roles in Law Enforcement? Or do we accept a certain increase in crime or lack of investigations because all officers are busy with the deportation project?

Letís assume they are all rounded up, how do we know where to send them back to? Do you just dump them at the border and let Canada or Mexico decide what to do with them? Iím using Canada thinking we can create a line and anyone north of the line is sent to Canada and everyone south is sent to Mexico to limit our fuel expenses. Ok what if either country objects, do we fly them to their country of origin? What if we donít know the country, what country do we send them too? What if the country doesnít grant us rights to land there or fly over their airspace, do we throw the illegals out with parachutes? What are our other options?

Ok, now all are gone, who will do the work to replace the workers who are not there? Since a company moving out a town can have a major affect on the town economy, what will happen when you remove millions of low wage workers? Does that have any financial affect on the nation? How do we get each ďwill work for foodĒ person to line up and take the low wage work? What options do we have?

Oh, and if you just want to reply calling me a liberal, thatís ok, Iím not a bleeding heart one and so I can take it.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:57 PM

Ok, now all are gone, who will do the work to replace the workers who are not there? Since a company moving out a town can have a major affect on the town economy, what will happen when you remove millions of low wage workers? Does that have any financial affect on the nation? How do we get each “will work for food” person to line up and take the low wage work? What options do we have?

How about all the americans that are out of work, or the college kids or teenagers. wow actually use americans!! My son works for minimum wage, a job is better than no job. How about getting rid of welfare for those that are not really disabled in some way. How about providing some low cost child care for those that do the work.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:07 PM

nea1, ok so you only provide one solution but omit the others. Ok, so what wages are set? How do force all americans to accept jobs or make sure employers provide livable wages, or do you? Do you just let employers set wages and let them wait for people who take them? I'm sure you probably know someone who wont work for less tha $XX amount. What then? What is there to prevent a company from moving their company outside of the US to save money and follow the lower wage workers into countries with laxed laws?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,052,239 times
Default Sometimes it sinks too low

Quote:
There are some things not worth responding to. Go back and read that wretched post and you'll hopefully see why engaging such a statement only further dummies-down the discussion.

And why can't you refrain from slapping labels and generalizations on everything? This makes you look like your egging for an argument instead of genuine understanding and discussion. Get over yourself and make a meaningful contribution -- based on science, objectivity and critical thinking.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,828,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
What is there to prevent a company from moving their company outside of the US to save money and follow the lower wage workers into countries with laxed laws?
Are you not aware of all the companies that have already moved over seas?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
nea1, ok so you only provide one solution but omit the others. Ok, so what wages are set? How do force all americans to accept jobs or make sure employers provide livable wages, or do you? Do you just let employers set wages and let them wait for people who take them? I'm sure you probably know someone who wont work for less tha $XX amount. What then? What is there to prevent a company from moving their company outside of the US to save money and follow the lower wage workers into countries with laxed laws?
I dont know the answer to any of those, things ned to be discussed an worked ouut., but i would rather deal with issues regarding citizens working than illegals. And as far as deportation. Dont ask.
I found this......

Rapid increases in the labor force have resulted in a 30-year trend toward lower real, inflation-adjusted income for the 80 percent of Americans who depend on wages and salaries. Immigration drives most of labor force growth and thus accounts for virtually all of the recent income depression.

Economist George Borjas observes that immigration depresses wages and displaces Americans from jobs, costing native-born American workers $195 billion annually. In 2000, the wages of native-born American workers were reduced by an average 3.2 percent.

Not Just ĎJobs Americans Don't Want'

The impact is not even. Citing a current Northeastern University study, The New York Times states that "illegal immigrants contributed to a sharp decline in employment of teenage and young adult Americans." The effect on young and less-educated workers is not new news. Most recently, however, Borjas reported that the wage impact is "most intense at the two ends of the native-born education range."

In addition to depressing wages, immigrant workers displace Americans. Steven Camarota analyzes CB data, finding that "between March 2000 and March 2004, the number of adults working actually increased, but all of the net change went to immigrant workers."

Andrew Sum and his colleagues at Northeastern University concur. Since 2000, immigrants have taken more than 100 percent of net new jobs, that is, both capturing new jobs and displacing Americans from existing jobs.

Another fiscal problem: Many Third World immigrants are very low skilled. Consequently, they do not pay taxes commensurate with the costs they impose on communities and States.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Are you not aware of all the companies that have already moved over seas?
Rednc, I would suggest reviewing my entire post to understand the context of my statement. Yes, I'm fully aware there are many companies that have moved completely or outsourced a considerable portion. So, if we deport all the illegals, who's to say that many of those companies don't follow the lower wage workers? What happens to our economy then? Will it be felt?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:44 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,828,218 times
Quote:
So, if we deport all the illegals, who's to say that many of those companies don't follow the lower wage workers? What happens to our economy then? Will it be felt?
Some companies may follow them. The remaining companies and workers will no longer have to subsidize the cost of illegalís. Sounds like a win, win situation to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration