U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2007, 01:08 AM

2,655 posts, read 7,263,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
They [illegals] all live in slums and leech off our welfare system. They don't speak English and expect you to understand them. You see 16 year olds toting their young children off to school, which we pay for. I fear to see what a border state is like!

And I would run for office but I'm not rich enough. No one would vote for me anyway. I have too many factors against me to win. Though I have lost most of my faith in the system anyway.
We must get beyond these kinds of broad generalizations or we'll never solve anything. It's easy to sit back and seethe in some abstract "us" vs. "them" fantasy. The purpose of THIS thread, started by Amavel, was to try and rise above the complaining, moaning and the over-simplistic "deport them" and "deny them" arguments. There are tons of other threads on this board where that's going on.

Instead of complaining and lambasting, do some real work and think about what it's going to take to make life livable for all of us in the face of monumental tasks. Complaining about "them" (WHO?) and crying about how helpless you are just waste time. Surely you can do better than that. Come on!

PS. I'm writing this from a border state.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-19-2007 at 01:39 AM..

Old 01-19-2007, 03:26 PM

244 posts, read 368,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
We must get beyond these kinds of broad generalizations or we'll never solve anything. It's easy to sit back and seethe in some abstract "us" vs. "them" fantasy. The purpose of THIS thread, started by Amavel, was to try and rise above the complaining, moaning and the over-simplistic "deport them" and "deny them" arguments. There are tons of other threads on this board where that's going on.

Instead of complaining and lambasting, do some real work and think about what it's going to take to make life livable for all of us in the face of monumental tasks. Complaining about "them" (WHO?) and crying about how helpless you are just waste time. Surely you can do better than that. Come on!

PS. I'm writing this from a border state.

They/them=illegals of ANY race or color.

A livable life: no illegals in my country.

Therefore I am not lambasting. I am expressing my own opinion on how I could be happy with one of my life's aspects. I don't believe in compromising with these people. Would you compromise with other criminals?

Old 01-19-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
A livable life: no illegals in my country. ... Would you compromise with other criminals?
No illegals "your" country has become an impossible task. "Your" (our) government is working overtime trying to make this happen for you (and me), but it can't keep up. This is why it's such hard work coming up with answers, and why we have to get beyond knee-jerk stereotyping. We MUST take in a bigger perspective or things will only get worse.

And -- no.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:15 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,549,551 times
Quote:
A livable life: no illegals in my country.

Therefore I am not lambasting. I am expressing my own opinion on how I could be happy with one of my life's aspects. I don't believe in compromising with these people. Would you compromise with other criminals?
Unfortunately we're beyond the ability to round "them" all up and deport them. If you took all our soldiers and law enforcement officials to get them, who would protect the thousands of miles of land or coastline? Compromise? No one said we had to compromise with "them". You have to understand "why" they are coming here and see if you can fix it so it is not an incentive for "them" to come here illegally. Everyone talks about "liberals" protecting them, what about the "conservatives" who protect the incentives that bring them here?

Last edited by madicarus2000; 01-19-2007 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-19-2007, 04:39 PM

3,712 posts, read 4,119,074 times
Quote:
No illegals "your" country has become an impossible task. "Your" (our) government is working overtime trying to make this happen for you (and me), but it can't keep up. This is why it's such hard work coming up with answers, and why we have to get beyond knee-jerk stereotyping. We MUST take in a bigger perspective or things will only get worse.

And -- no.
According to their website, in 2006 ICE managed to deport a grand total of 186,600 illegals. It doesn't sound like our government is exactly working overtime to me.

Quote:
Set New Record for Alien Removals: ICE removed more than 186,600 illegal aliens from the country in FY 2006, a record for the agency and a ten percent increase over the number of removals during the prior fiscal year. ICE also increased its detention bed space by 6,300 during the fiscal year 2006, bringing the current number of funded beds to 27,500 immigration detainees.
http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/factsheets/2006accomplishments.htm (broken link)

Old 01-19-2007, 05:13 PM

464 posts, read 1,341,000 times
Guest worker is no different than an H2B other than accepting Guest worker credentials track them and gives the government a location to send them if they lose their job.

How is this different from an H1B visa?

Old 01-19-2007, 06:46 PM

354 posts, read 566,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
According to their website, in 2006 ICE managed to deport a grand total of 186,600 illegals. It doesn't sound like our government is exactly working overtime to me.
Perspective. They may, in fact, actually be working overtime, but their resources are limited. 2,000 miles is quite expansive and there is no way to man every mile without creating an even greater deficit in our military personnel and national funds.

Then again, I'm not sure how many conservatives and/or Bush followers are willing to transfer soldiers from Iraq to the southern border whilst furthering our irreversible debt.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:14 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,930,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
Guest worker is no different than an H2B other than accepting Guest worker credentials track them and gives the government a location to send them if they lose their job.

How is this different from an H1B visa?
H1Bís are for professionals, accountant, computer analyst, engineer, financial analyst, scientist or architect.

As I said the guest worker would be for the Immigrants that only want to work here and have no intention of assimilating. By accepting guest credentials they would be allowed to work in the US as long as they stay employed, their location would be known, they would pay taxes and never be allowed to apply for US citizenship. They would be finger printed, a retinal scan and DNA to make sure they stay guest workers. Once they are no longer employed they would be deported. This is my proposal only and in no way is it being considered by any government entity

Old 01-20-2007, 02:11 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,016,638 times
Quote:

And -- no.
The only thing our government is working over time on is " covering up corruption and making themselves and their rich friends a larger bank account" our so called government is doing nothing for us.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:32 AM

Default It's not Constitutional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
As I said the guest worker would be for the Immigrants that only want to work here and have no intention of assimilating. By accepting guest credentials they would be allowed to work in the US as long as they stay employed, their location would be known, they would pay taxes and never be allowed to apply for US citizenship. They would be finger printed, a retinal scan and DNA to make sure they stay guest workers. Once they are no longer employed they would be deported. This is my proposal only and in no way is it being considered by any government entity
It just doesn't sound workable. First, how would you determine that an individual has "no intention of assimilating"? The rest of the proposal sounds Orwellian. Stuff like that might have worked in the former USSR -- and probably did! I will agree with one thing: it has little chance in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave -- as long as it's America, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.