Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:36 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,052,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
The only thing our government is working over time on is " covering up corruption and making themselves and their rich friends a larger bank account" our so called government is doing nothing for us.
Can you give us some examples? Keep in mind that government includes first responders, trash pickup, water treatment, sewer, tree trimming, park maintenance, schools, roads. How are they getting rich and failing you? Be specific.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,487,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Can you give us some examples? Keep in mind that government includes first responders, trash pickup, water treatment, sewer, tree trimming, park maintenance, schools, roads. How are they getting rich and failing you? Be specific.
Don't try so hard to sugar coat it for your boys in Washington by getting on the subject of city and county offices. When I mentioned "corruption" you knew exactly what I was saying. YOUR BOYS IN WASHINGTON.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when we practice to decieve.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:26 AM

355 posts, read 841,521 times
And that relates to illegal immigration how? Right.. stay on topic, please.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:54 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,487,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
And that relates to illegal immigration how? Right.. stay on topic, please.
I think corruption in our government has a great deal to do with Illegal aliens (criminals), don't you agree?

Old 01-20-2007, 07:20 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,733,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
It just doesn't sound workable. First, how would you determine that an individual has "no intention of assimilating"? The rest of the proposal sounds Orwellian. Stuff like that might have worked in the former USSR -- and probably did! I will agree with one thing: it has little chance in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave -- as long as it's America, that is.
As I said they have two choices, “guest worker” or “go home and get in line to become and American”, just like they have done since we became a country. The major difference is the US would have to increase the numbers that are allowed to come in. Just limit it to the amount needed not the amount that want to come in.

I never said it was workable, just an idea. Or we could adopt the same laws and methods that are used in Mexico for immigration. Now that is closer to the USSR than anything I am proposing.

And while I’m at it why don’t you come up with something instead of telling me what wont work? If you are such an authority on the subject come up with a solution.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:40 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,456,604 times
Thumbs up A Solution and A Belief

I completely agree with RedNC on the guest worker program, but I believe those who have established themselves in this country for three years need to stay. It would not be right to remove illegal immigrants who have established themselves with families, or a productive job of which they can tremendously help their loved ones out of poverty by sending money back into Mexico, C.A., S.A. They had made a poor choice of breaking the law entering the United States, but we shouldn't take our revenge on all of them and "deport them all." Why? Partly because, I think alot of them are receiving an unfair assessment, I have met numerous legal and illegal latinos, where sending money to help those close to them in poverty, outweighs breaking the law crossing the border. These same people truly believe the situation morally tilts toward the poverty situation many illegals deal with. I believe there are many illegal immigrants who are good people, and you can't unfairly taser them with criminals, when you are just disgusted and outraged about illegals crossing the border. Ignorance will lead to unpractical reasoning, and decisions based on uncontrollabe emotions!

Old 01-20-2007, 08:20 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,052,959 times
Default If the shoe fits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
And while I’m at it why don’t you come up with something instead of telling me what wont work? If you are such an authority on the subject come up with a solution.
It may seem that way, sorry about that, but I do make suggestions and mine get shot down, too. That said, I like to ask questions to challenge things a little. These are difficult topics. I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud. I have agreed with you (back a few posts).

Actually, I'm intrigued by a guest worker program. For me the question always comes back to two things: Can we do it while not losing sight of core American values (i.e. does is square with the Constitution)? And is it workable? For example, can we find all of the undocumented workers and issue them permits to work?

But I would hate to see us create a dual-society situation like in France, where after three generations, people still aren't afforded the rights and responsibilities of French society. We saw last year what a powder keg that can be. I think one way to avoid that in the U.S. is by putting people on a path to 1, legal residency, and 2, full-fledged citizenship (eligible after five years of legal residency, the current requirement).

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-20-2007 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,456,604 times
I'm done with every immigration thread on this site. The treatment of illegal immigrants breaks me in half. You win!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:42 PM

484 posts, read 1,941,024 times
Default Intentions can change

the guest worker would be for the Immigrants that only want to work here and have no intention of assimilating.

So what would you do with people like my Australian sister-in-law? She came here for grad school, intending to stay for 1 year. She met my brother-in-law, got married, and ended up staying for 5 years.

I think a work permit that doesn't offer any chance to become a citizen is a bad idea. That's how you end up with societies like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, where a small well-off minority is supported by a large underclass with very few rights. After 5 years, people with those permits should be able to apply for a green card.

I also think illegal teens should have the right to attend a state college for the price of in-state tuition. The vast majority came here as babies and young kids, and they shouldn't be punished for their parents' crimes. A bill proposed in my state's legislature (which failed) required the students to be at least 21, have lived here for 3 years, graduate from a MA high school, and trying to get legal.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:37 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,733,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
the guest worker would be for the Immigrants that only want to work here and have no intention of assimilating.

So what would you do with people like my Australian sister-in-law? She came here for grad school, intending to stay for 1 year. She met my brother-in-law, got married, and ended up staying for 5 years.

I think a work permit that doesn't offer any chance to become a citizen is a bad idea. That's how you end up with societies like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, where a small well-off minority is supported by a large underclass with very few rights. After 5 years, people with those permits should be able to apply for a green card.

I also think illegal teens should have the right to attend a state college for the price of in-state tuition. The vast majority came here as babies and young kids, and they shouldn't be punished for their parents' crimes. A bill proposed in my state's legislature (which failed) required the students to be at least 21, have lived here for 3 years, graduate from a MA high school, and trying to get legal.
This thread addresses “illegal immigration” this wouldn’t apply in your sister-in-laws situation.

I proposed two options for illegal immigrants working in the US.
Guest worker is for those that only want to work in the US.
The other is for those who want to become US citizens.
Rather than repeating myself go back and re-read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.