Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2007, 10:11 AM

929 posts, read 1,148,530 times

Advertisements

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070125/ap_on_re_us/cuban_migrants (broken link)

"Under U.S. policy, Cubans found on shore are generally allowed to stay, while those found at sea are usually returned to Cuba."

kinda like letting the mexicans stay if they can swim across the rio grande and cross the desert huh? that wet foot/dry foot policy doesnt make sense. at least if youre going to let them stay let them ALL stay ie. haitians. all or nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 AM

93 posts, read 329,054 times
haha funny you bring this up because I asked the same thing to my gf last night. Why in the world are illegals allowed to stay after hitting land from water but if they are caught a foot away from land they are deported? We both shrugged, and laughed.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 AM

93 posts, read 329,054 times
I am always asked "what are you?" I respond, "I am an Asian immigrant and I came across the ocean in a rice bag." Their response, "really!? how long did it take??!?!"

Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 PM

929 posts, read 1,148,530 times
niiice
hahahaha ROFL~!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:18 AM

566 posts, read 2,053,290 times
I know it sounds funny, especially now as most Cubans coming in are more like economic immigrants than political refugees and seem all the same -
alike in that they are humans and are both in pursuit of a better life? yes...
But they are not the same as far as immigration policy/political status.
Cubans are probably the only spanish speaking group in the U.S. that cannot come & go as they please....they come from a communist regime, unlike the
others. They come from a place where there are no liberties at all - for
tourists yes, but not for the people born there.
Economic immigrants & political refugees are 2 very different things. Though, the media keeps grouping Cubans that wash ashore & call them "immigrants' & gives us all the feeling that they are all the same, but they are not as far as immigration status. The other spanish speaking groups (&other groups as well) can go in and out when they please, Cubans can't.
When they are caught in the waters and sent back their lives are a living hell cause they are seen as deserters - they even lose the little that the govt. dicatates they get, & they have to keep trying to come back here to survive. Some of the ones that do make it to shore (if not eaten by sharks first), the families left behind have to pay for their desertion -they lose jobs, are persecuted and treated like dogs or like they have the plague -then the famiy that made it here has to do whatever to try to get them here to humane conditions.
These other groupls don't live with commando's living in every single block that keep check of your daily in-outs to make sure you don't do/say anything wrong. Can one imagine living like this here or say Mexico? I don't think so.
It's simple...the times I have gone to Mexico if I had
said, "down with Fox!" what would have happened? nothing or
here, "down with Bush" still nothing...And in Cuba if I'd say, "down with Fidel
or I hate his ugly looking beard!" I'd surely be put away or killed and...you would have never ever known. Someone would ask "hey, where's Lulu?" the people there would have gone..."oh I don't know, she must have gone to the U.S." and all the while I'm 6ft under.

So, are they all the same/come for the same reasons?? You decide.

Last edited by lulu; 01-26-2007 at 10:28 AM..

Old 01-26-2007, 10:30 AM

566 posts, read 2,053,290 times
Oh..this is funny...though, I wouldn't be surprised of that response.

I had someone ask me once when I was going on a vacation trip to Puerto Rico, "hey, are you going by car??" Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,607,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW2007 View Post
haha funny you bring this up because I asked the same thing to my gf last night. Why in the world are illegals allowed to stay after hitting land from water but if they are caught a foot away from land they are deported? We both shrugged, and laughed.
I must have heard it somewhere, but I had no idea this law was on the books.

I'm just wondering.... do they actually yell "TOUCHDOWN!!!" when they hit the beach? lmao. Does the lifeguard on duty jump down from his seat and yell "SAFE!!" with his hands out?

Scoreboard

Cuba 1
USA -20,000,000

-TT

Old 01-26-2007, 01:34 PM

56 posts, read 253,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I must have heard it somewhere, but I had no idea this law was on the books.

I'm just wondering.... do they actually yell "TOUCHDOWN!!!" when they hit the beach? lmao. Does the lifeguard on duty jump down from his seat and yell "SAFE!!" with his hands out?

Scoreboard

Cuba 1
USA -20,000,000

-TT
pretty much how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration