Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:30 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times

Advertisements

We need alien workers to some point. We would make everyone come back in the right way. Each would have just one ID and be assigned to a job with a worker permit and everything would be legal. Taxes would be paid etc. Canada has this system and it works, This way if they cant find an approved job they have to leave...great system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
The Tea Baggers would have to find someone elese to blame their failures on

Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

I suggest you go over to the politics forum and make a poll about illegals -- you would be surprised on how united conservatives and liberals are on their desire to stop the flow of illegals and yes, deporting them.

But hey - if it makes you feel more secure, just keep on believing it is only 'teabaggers' that are against amnesty.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

You sound as if you have "skin" in the game????

Your either related to an illegal, you are here illegally, or you are profiting from illegals being here, working for you.

So which is it?
There would be no other reason, your OK with paying an extra $1000 a year in your taxes, to support the cost of illegals in your community. Unless you don't pay taxes.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:00 PM

50,283 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Your either related to an illegal, you are here illegally, or you are profiting from illegals being here, working for you.

So which is it?
There would be no other reason, your OK with paying an extra $1000 a year in your taxes, to support the cost of illegals in your community. Unless you don't pay taxes.
The last article that ran in the local UT had over 500 comments on it. Nothing else besides even gay marriage gets people riled. The comments were, hands down, against Illegal Immigration.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:05 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

So which is it?
This makes no sense based on context...

Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
wages skyrocket, state parks empty out, employers forced to pay medical. people living in houses instead of RV. your boss does not get to send his 40 year old child to hawaii this year.
alota politicians lose their jobs bek they are not doing what biz told them to which is put the brakes on BP. tons of subcontractors fold bek they have no illegals to staff their company. employers actually have to hire their own people,

Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,372 times
My first couple of jobs as a teenager were these low skilled jobs. If the illegals were to get the boot I'm sure today's teens and college kids would fill them as I did.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:16 PM

What would happen is that many communities would suffer a massive loss in it's consumer base, thus less taxable income going towards services. Some companies may go out of business, simply due to lack of interest to work in said fields (janitorial for example). Schools would be less crowded, however, some schools would close due to lack of funding (going back to loss of a tax base in some lower income communities).Crime may increase, or decrease, depending on how things are handled. In certain jurisdictions, the loss of people would mean less crime (since less people=less crime). In others, the lack of funding may mean more crime. Generally, lower income communities will be hit hardest and worst.

I was going to talk about farming, but I really don't know if anything will be affected. I can see that people may not be interested in picking fruit or lettuce. However, I don't know if prices will go up (ways to obtain workers), the same (if wages are good enough, will this mean openings for a group that felt "shunned"?) or down (less demand with the same supply). I personally think that it could be an admixture of initially up (simply lack of workers), then same (legal immigrants coming via work visa, maybe).

Again this is all hypothetical...

Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
My first couple of jobs as a teenager were these low skilled jobs. If the illegals were to get the boot I'm sure today's teens and college kids would fill them as I did.
In today's ultra tight college market, low wage jobs don't cut it. Teens and college students are looking for jobs that relate to their field of study. Or at least marginally relate to their field of study. Internships or extracurriculars are MUCH needed to break into the tough job market as a young person. Same for the tight university race going on... Competition is rough out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration