U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times

Advertisements

As I am reading all these posts defending Obamas comment to LaRaza exhorting Americans to learn Spanish, I have to wonder......what will happen when/if this recession turns real ugly? What will happen if there is major job loss across the board, if companies go under, if the housing busted bubble completely deflates.... How will Obama or McCain justify giving amnesty (a pathway by any other name ) to millions of people who are not educated, who will be competing with Americans for whatever work is available and who will be a further drain on an already overloaded social safety net such as WIC, or food stamps?
People like to pretend that this is the land of milk and honey with limitless resources. We are not. We cannot afford more people who can not support their own families. We cannot afford a permanent underclass of people who drive wages down.
But that is my opinion. I would like to hear how Obama or McCain would justify adding more people to doles.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
As I am reading all these posts defending Obamas comment to LaRaza exhorting Americans to learn Spanish, I have to wonder......what will happen when/if this recession turns real ugly? What will happen if there is major job loss across the board, if companies go under, if the housing busted bubble completely deflates.... How will Obama or McCain justify giving amnesty (a pathway by any other name ) to millions of people who are not educated, who will be competing with Americans for whatever work is available and who will be a further drain on an already overloaded social safety net such as WIC, or food stamps?
People like to pretend that this is the land of milk and honey with limitless resources. We are not. We cannot afford more people who can not support their own families. We cannot afford a permanent underclass of people who drive wages down.
But that is my opinion. I would like to hear how Obama or McCain would justify adding more people to doles.......
I strongly suspect that the official unemployment rate of 'only' 5.5% is due in part to many illegals self deporting since they are at the bottom of the food chain-----east to fire since they would not dare to try to collect benefits. If the above 'illegals' were indeed US citizens/green card holders-----I strongly suspect our unemployment rate would be upwards of 7% already.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
I believe they are pandering for votes, and have not given a thought to the ramifications of amnesty. We already have millions of foreclosures, unemployment continues to climb, and gas and food prices are skyrocketing. If something isnít done soon to stop the insanity, I fear our country is headed down a road of widespread violence and civil unrest. Time is of the essence.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
If THAT happens, we'll all have to consult our booklets on the joys of Multiculturalism. We'll have to remind each other that America REALLY belongs to everyone, and that all people are equally deserving of the benefits of American society, whether legal or illegal. We MIGHT want to tone down some of that ethnic pride, also...it might not 'play too well', if things ever do get bad.

It might be a tough thing to remember, but that's what we'll have to do....because the alternative could get REALLY unpleasant. I'd rather not even THINK about it.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
If THAT happens, we'll all have to consult our booklets on the joys of Multiculturalism. We'll have to remind each other that America REALLY belongs to everyone, and that all people are equally deserving of the benefits of American society, whether legal or illegal. We MIGHT want to tone down some of that ethnic pride, also...it might not 'play too well', if things ever do get bad.

It might be a tough thing to remember, but that's what we'll have to do....because the alternative could get REALLY unpleasant. I'd rather not even THINK about it.
Brace yourself, the worst is on its way, more and more Americans are waking up, and getting fed up as they are reading about the escalating illegal alien murders, rapes and gang activity. New websites are sprouting up daily chocked full of information about the rate of identity thefts, gang activity, murder rates, hospital closing, anchor baby birth rates and the number of cities going broke trying to take care of their illegal alien populations. The tax payers are sick and tired of our resources being depleted and taxes rising to educate their children and provide free services to people who have zero right to be here. The pot is boiling and with every passing day that our lame ass government does nothing, the flame is rising. When the pot boils over it's going to make the riots of the 60's look like a little girl's tea party in comparison.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Brace yourself, the worst is on its way, more and more Americans are waking up, and getting fed up as they are reading about the escalating illegal alien murders, rapes and gang activity. New websites are sprouting up daily chocked full of information about the rate of identity thefts, gang activity, murder rates, hospital closing, anchor baby birth rates and the number of cities going broke trying to take care of their illegal alien populations. The tax payers are sick and tired of our resources being depleted and taxes rising to educate their children and provide free services to people who have zero right to be here. The pot is boiling and with every passing day that our lame ass government does nothing, the flame is rising. When the pot boils over it's going to make the riots of the 60's look like a little girl's tea party in comparison.
Yes, if "somebody doesn't do something", it could get ugly indeed. It has, many times, in many parts of the world. We think it can't happen here, because we've always believed "we're different"..but, as this situation begins to escalate, we'll become less and less 'different', and therin lies the problem.

Hopefully, those in charge of our society will 'get wind' of this, and WILL "Do Something"...(even if they'd rather not)..before the situation turns truly ugly..or becomes irreversible.
SO FAR, the 'ugliness' consists mostly of a few nasty arguments, unkind words, and hurt feelings. Let's hope and pray that this is as bad as it gets, because something is going to be done about it, before it goes to the 'next step'.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:47 PM

185 posts, read 319,436 times
We're teetering on the brink.

If gas goes up to $6-8 a gallon which is entirely possible thanks to our dependence on foreign oil and all the unrest across the globe, commerce may come to a grinding halt.

I try to keep my hopes up and make many calls and send e-mails to reps. and senators as we steadily slip down the slope.

In the mean time I'm working on moving out of the urban area where I live, any city is the last place I want to be if things take a turn for the worse. America has endured many mistakes and disasters and somehow we'll weather the storm.

As for illegal aliens I'm sure their proponents will insist we will all die if we dare try to balme and/or deport them.
Being that they're the hardest workers in the history of man-kind we will need them to squeeze oil out of shale stone BY HAND.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:51 PM

8,015 posts, read 8,080,914 times
Bring it on! We need a good purge!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:55 PM

8,015 posts, read 8,080,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
We're teetering on the brink.
Being that they're the hardest workers in the history of man-kind we will need them to squeeze oil out of shale stone BY HAND.
No we will make them dig out Yucca mountian with a spoon ....JA und den ve vill use their stinking corpses as fuel for der turbines!!!!!!!! oppppsssssssss sorry got carried away there and had a flashback to a previous life cycle

Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes, if "somebody doesn't do something", it could get ugly indeed. It has, many times, in many parts of the world. We think it can't happen here, because we've always believed "we're different"..but, as this situation begins to escalate, we'll become less and less 'different', and therin lies the problem.

Hopefully, those in charge of our society will 'get wind' of this, and WILL "Do Something"...(even if they'd rather not)..before the situation turns truly ugly..or becomes irreversible.
SO FAR, the 'ugliness' consists mostly of a few nasty arguments, unkind words, and hurt feelings. Let's hope and pray that this is as bad as it gets, because something is going to be done about it, before it goes to the 'next step'.

My crystal ball predicts that your first paragraph will be the scenario that comes to fruition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration