U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,004,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
And you are saying that the illegals do not? They get more rights and special treatment than any citizen could ever hope to have or ever get. Nope, you want more but you hide behind the equality mirror and it doesn't stand up to the smell test.
Like I said, your post made it sound like you weren't just talking about illegals.
You have all the smug attitude, but none of the good argument to go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:30 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Its about as presumptous as when someone recently commented that most blacks vote democrat.
You got angry over that, but you know it's true.

And theres nothign wrong with me saying Mexican-Americans have lots of family ties in Mexico. We are within driving distance of each other.

Do many African-Americans have close family ties to Africa? I don't know why you are trying to turn that into an insult, other than to discredit whatever it is that I say.
Oh please, don’t try to use a post by blacknight to lend credence to your comments. One has absolutely no relationship to the other. To my knowledge, you know zilch about prim2007. Therefore, it was in fact presumptuous of you to maintain that he/she has no connections to Africa. You were comparing your life to the life of prim2007, not blacks collectively. Go back and read your post.

I liken your comment to a person bragging on Father’s Day that they have a father; realizing you have never known yours. It’s quite insensitive, to say the least. However, in this case, you had no knowledge of the person; you simply “assumed” they didn’t have a father.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:30 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,635,197 times
Quote:
And you are saying that the illegals do not? They get more rights and special treatment than any citizen could ever hope to have or ever get. Nope, you want more but you hide behind the equality mirror and it doesn't stand up to the smell test.
True, obviously. If your REAL objective is to base your definition of 'fair treatment of a group' on illegal Mexicans, then you'll lose the argument. Because, from the standpoint of 'fairness', illegal Mexicans have no more standing in American society than do impoverished residents of Haiti, Bangladesh, Myanamar, Norway, or Afghanistan...except that more Mexicans have violated our borders than these 'other' groups.

If you want 'equal rights' for Hispanic Americans...or Mexican-Americans..then you can relax, These folks HAVE all the rights to which any of us are entitled, already.

If, on the other hand, you insist on 'equal rights' for illegal aliens, you must understand they don't GET equal rights, because they're illegal. Just like your neighbors don't have the 'rights' in your home, that your family does. Illegal aliens already have FAR more rights here, than they have any right to expect...every month that they stay here is a 'perk'. That fact should in NO WAY be taken to imply that they have inherent 'rights' in American society, beyond the bare minimum. MOST of what they DO have, are 'privileges'...and they're lucky to have THOSE.

Last edited by macmeal; 07-13-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

People aren't whining, they just want the same resources and quality of life to be available to everyone.
I don't know how you define 'whining', but you could have fooled me. And NOTHING is available to 'everyone'. For example, I'm not free to live next door to Donald Trump, or to practice medicine, or to graduate with honors from Harvard. Those things just aren't available to me...at least not in any practical way. As far as IMPRACTICAL, well, you could say everything IS 'available' to illegals, as well as anybody else. All they theoretically have to do is 'go through the steps' legally....just like I'D have to do, if I DID want to live next to Mr. Trump...or graduate from Harvard....or be a cowboy.

Last edited by macmeal; 07-13-2008 at 05:49 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 06:39 PM

300 posts, read 482,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
True, obviously. If your REAL objective is to base your definition of 'fair treatment of a group' on illegal Mexicans, then you'll lose the argument. Because, from the standpoint of 'fairness', illegal Mexicans have no more standing in American society than do impoverished residents of Haiti, Bangladesh, Myanamar, Norway, or Afghanistan...except that more Mexicans have violated our borders than these 'other' groups.

If you want 'equal rights' for Hispanic Americans...or Mexican-Americans..then you can relax, These folks HAVE all the rights to which any of us are entitled, already.

If, on the other hand, you insist on 'equal rights' for illegal aliens, you must understand they don't GET equal rights, because they're illegal. Just like your neighbors don't have the 'rights' in your home, that your family does. Illegal aliens already have FAR more rights here, than they have any right to expect...every month that they stay here is a 'perk'. That fact should in NO WAY be taken to imply that they have inherent 'rights' in American society, beyond the bare minimum. MOST of what they DO have, are 'privileges'...and they're lucky to have THOSE.
I was not the one whining about the rights of illegals, that supposedly do not get. That was AMC.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I was not the one whining about the rights of illegals, that supposedly do not get. That was AMC.
Understood. It was a rhetorical 'your', not directed at you, but at anyone who advocates this stuff. As in 'you can't have your cake and eat it'....meaning nobody can.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Understood. It was a rhetorical 'your', not directed at you, but at anyone who advocates this stuff. As in 'you can't have your cake and eat it'....meaning nobody can.
Gotcha and understood!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Oh please, don’t try to use a post by blacknight to lend credence to your comments. One has absolutely no relationship to the other. To my knowledge, you know zilch about prim2007. Therefore, it was in fact presumptuous of you to maintain that he/she has no connections to Africa. You were comparing your life to the life of prim2007, not blacks collectively. Go back and read your post.

I liken your comment to a person bragging on Father’s Day that they have a father; realizing you have never known yours. It’s quite insensitive, to say the least. However, in this case, you had no knowledge of the person; you simply “assumed” they didn’t have a father.
The relationship is the reaction you gave to both comments, when you know its true. FACT is, most African-Americans have been here for so long, and mostly against their will, it would be kind of hard to trace ancestry back to Africa. Why you take so much offense to that? I have no idea.
And FACT is, many Mexican-American's have recently immigrated(last 60 or 50 years or so to present.). And not to mention America is connected to Mexico. So of course we are going to have stronger family ties to the "old country" or whatever.

And how was I comparing my life to prim? We were talking on how we relate to immigrants. If Africans suddenly immigrated to America, its unlikely African Americans will feel a strong tie. In fact, they don't with the African immigrants that ARE here.

Are you just arguing for the sake of it?

Youre going way off on this one ,Benicar. Some truce, youre pretty much trolling.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 AM

Don't think much of anyone who considers themselves any kind of hyphenated American. One is either an American or they are not. This idiot PC stuff of being Polich-American or Mexican-American or any other PC American is nothing but a way to further divide us and only idiots can not see that fact.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Don't think much of anyone who considers themselves any kind of hyphenated American. One is either an American or they are not. This idiot PC stuff of being Polich-American or Mexican-American or any other PC American is nothing but a way to further divide us and only idiots can not see that fact.
Theres nothing wrong with identifying with a culture. There is no specific American culture. It was founded by British, but our culture is not very much like England's culture.

Most "American" music is derived from African-American culture(Jazz, Rock N Roll, Hip Hop).
Our American style cuisine is derived from cuisines from all over the world. There are American versions of Chinese, Italian, and Mexican food.
A lot of our city names are very ethnic. Spanish named cities are common in the Southwest, French names are common in Louisiana, Dutch or British derived names in New York and the Northeast.

When people say we should see ourselves as American and lose our respective cultures, to me it sounds like succumb to the culture of the English immigrants or something.

Our country sticks out because it is so diverse. You can't deny what this country has been since early on: a place where a bunch of cultures come together.

The so called "Balkanization" is a lot less evident in every day life than it is on say this board. The majority of people appreciate other cultures, whether or not they even know they are doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or