U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 01:51 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If you think I am stalking you, I will certainly refrain from responding to your posts. Not a problem at all.
You are more than welcome to respond as long you have an argument, instead of just skimming through my posts(missing important info) to find something to call me out on.
If youre more interested in the latter, then don't even bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 01:55 PM

3,295 posts, read 4,424,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Just trying to get an equal sized piece of the pie.

Why should it be equal? We aren't equals. As long as everyone has the OPPORTUNITY for a nice slice of pie, everything else doesn't matter.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Why should it be equal? We aren't equals. As long as everyone has the OPPORTUNITY for a nice slice of pie, everything else doesn't matter.
I agree.
Slice of pie doesnt mean diamonds and furs, its means resources. Good schools, acceptance into higher learning institutions, equality in the workforce.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,275,065 times
Quote:
i feel your pain!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:02 PM

3,295 posts, read 4,424,799 times
Quote:
I agree.
Slice of pie doesnt mean diamonds and furs, its means resources. Good schools, acceptance into higher learning institutions, equality in the workforce.

Right, and to get accepted into higher learning institutions and attain equality in the workforce, you have to work hard regardless of the obstacles you face. The world isn't fair, you have to work hard because nothing is going to be handed to you nor should it. Everyone gets rejected from a school and a job opening. No biggie. Move on.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Right, and to get accepted into higher learning institutions and attain equality in the workforce, you have to work hard regardless of the obstacles you face. The world isn't fair, you have to work hard because nothing is going to be handed to you nor should it. Everyone gets rejected from a school and a job opening. No biggie. Move on.
I dont think anything should be "handed" to anyone.
But if a kid in South Central wants to work hard and get a higher education, he should have the same chance as a kid in Malibu.

Things have gotten a lot better, but it wasn't too long ago when people were getting discriminated against in college, the workforce.

Sure its a pain being "politically correct", and you have to hear a lot of "whining", but that "whining" is making things better for the future, for all of us.
Maybe its a bit of a rough transition when all these ethnic groups are making demands, but in the future, we'll be better off because of it.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
One question I do have:

How does one determine what a 'Hispanic' is?

Why I say that there is no 'Hispanic' race-------it is a political label at best.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One question I do have:

How does one determine what a 'Hispanic' is?

Why I say that there is no 'Hispanic' race-------it is a political label at best.
Location location location, AzBear.

How do you define an African? Lots of different people from Africa, yet its pretty much accepted that an African-American is a Black person. What about the Egyptians?
Lets just suffice to call Africans people from Africa.

Europeans? People from Europe.

Latinos? People from Latin-America.

If the concept of Latinos is so difficult to bear, you can always resort to that.

To give you a little more insight, Latinos are the people of Latin America. A country once inhabited by many advanced indigenous cultures. Spain invaded, and pillaged most of the continent. They brought their culture, as well as some of their African slaves. Many of those cultures mixed.
Latinos are a mixed people of European, Amerindian, and African bloodlines. Some are just one, some are a mix of two, and some are a mix of all.
Latinos are people from this area.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:11 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Location location location, AzBear.

How do you define an African? Lots of different people from Africa, yet its pretty much accepted that an African-American is a Black person. What about the Egyptians?
Lets just suffice to call Africans people from Africa.

Europeans? People from Europe.

Latinos? People from Latin-America.

If the concept of Latinos is so difficult to bear, you can always resort to that.

To give you a little more insight, Latinos are the people of Latin America. A country once inhabited by many advanced indigenous cultures. Spain invaded, and pillaged most of the continent. They brought their culture, as well as some of their African slaves. Many of those cultures mixed.
Latinos are a mixed people of European, Amerindian, and African bloodlines. Some are just one, some are a mix of two, and some are a mix of all.
Latinos are people from this area.
OTOH:

Lawrie Sanchez, Michael Portillo, Alfred Molina, Felipe Fernandez-Armesto, etc. are all English (due to being born/raised there) yet Azelia Robinson, the Mexican telenovela actress despite also being born in England but raised in Mexico is considered to be a Latina.

100% political as you alluded to, amc760.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,019,301 times
There is so very much hidden agenda hatred in that pie simile. Basically, as a resident of Los Angeles, with the largest concentration of illegals in the nation coupled with insane policies to give them services that no citizen gets, I am being taxed out of residency of my home of fifty years here to pay for illegals. My "pie" has been taken away by people in civic government with agendas like amc70 who have decreed that someone who broke a law to get here deserves it more than a taxpaying legal citizen. To even think that bespeaks an innate hatred for American citizens of a "different" background than that of most illegals. This is sad, destructive, against American ideals of fairness, and xenophobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or