U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 04:42 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,680,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
The whole article was written poorly. But of course what do you expect from FOX News.
My thoughts exactly. At least the Omaha paper's article (linked at bottom of Fox article) didn't have those kinds of mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 04:58 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,064,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
An occupancy license?

You have got to be kidding me. Why don't we just start requiring everyone to register their place of residence with the police. Then, after that, we can institute school uniforms with swastika armbands for our children. Then, as soon as we get the next generation indoctrinated, we can make huge progress and start rounding the "illegals" up to be sent to camps...
FYI, occupancy permits are very common for renters in many small and large cities alike.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That bothers me as well.........although, I believe that renting to a known illegal may be a Federal crime already

Needless to say: if a person here legally rents a place; there is little that the authorities could so to chase off illegal immigrant roommates------provided the latter 'flew under the radar' (no more than the maximum number of unrelated people allowed, being quiet, keeping the yard clean, etc)
Sorry, there are no Federal regs against renting to illegals. Even if there were such Federal regs, they would certainly be ignored as are most of the Federal regs re illegal immigration.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,949,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
FYI, occupancy permits are very common for renters in many small and large cities alike.
Which cities? And what is an occupancy permit for?

Old 07-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember that even if most of the attempts to run off the illegals fail; sooner or later some of the measures will be approved and will shame the Feds into action.

Too; with us going into a deep recession, there will be more 'incentive' to clamp down on illegal immigration.
Don't bet the rent on that happening any time soon!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Which cities? And what is an occupancy permit for?
In Pennsylvania, I know personally that Allentown and Bethlehem both require occupancy permits for renters, they have for at least the past 15 years. I'm sure that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh also require occupancy permits for renters as Allentown/Bethlehem are small size cities compared to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. The occupancy permits are used to keep track of renters in the municipality for taxing and accounting purposes, as renters are transient in nature. This is the same occupancy rules that Mayor Lou Barletta of Hazleton, PA attempted to implement when La Raza and the ACLU forced Hazleton to revoke the immigrant regulations or go broke trying to defend and enforce them.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
In Pennsylvania, I know personally that Allentown and Bethlehem both require occupancy permits for renters, they have for at least the past 15 years. I'm sure that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh also require occupancy permits for renters as Allentown/Bethlehem are small size cities compared to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. The occupancy permits are used to keep track of renters in the municipality for taxing and accounting purposes, as renters are transient in nature. This is the same occupancy rules that Mayor Lou Barletta of Hazleton, PA attempted to implement when La Raza and the ACLU forced Hazleton to revoke the immigrant regulations or go broke trying to defend and enforce them.
What is the process? Do renters in the cities you identified have to 'report' to the police? What documents do they need to have to get an occupancy permit?

Old 07-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
What is the process? Do renters in the cities you identified have to 'report' to the police? What documents do they need to have to get an occupancy permit?
With all due respect, please knock off the integration type posts, I don't appreciate that type of questioning, thank you. Here is a page link to an [SIZE=4][SIZE=4]
"APPLICATION FOR A RESIDENTIAL OCCUPANCY PERMIT", I hope that this will answer your above questions.

http://overlandmo.org/PW%20Forms/occupancy%20permit%20residential%20app.pdf (broken link)
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 07-12-2008, 06:34 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,680,326 times
I wonder if anyone has tried to challenge the constitutionality of these permits. I'm sure a very good case could be made.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, please knock off the integration type posts, I don't appreciate that type of questioning, thank you. Here is a page link to an
"APPLICATION FOR A RESIDENTIAL OCCUPANCY PERMIT", I hope that this will answer your above questions.

http://overlandmo.org/PW%20Forms/occupancy%20permit%20residential%20app.pdf (broken link)
You mean interrogation, yes?

Anyway, lighten up. You posted something that appears to be something you support. Then you went further to explain that occupancy permits are already required in some places. Is it too much to ask for more information? Or a source for said information such as a link? Thank you BTW. I'll enjoy reading it.

Anyway, the purpose of a forum such as this is to encourage dialog. Questions should be expected, especially for difficult subject matter where there will be multiple, opposing viewpoints. I am not challenging you and/or attempting to change your opinion. I am trying to figure out what is going on. You and I could be on the same side of the issue.

I do not accept everything at face value and I don't expect anyone else to do so either.

Cheers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration