U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 PM

2,308 posts, read 962,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A proposed law aimed at booting illegal immigrants from Fremont, Neb., is causing an uproar among residents and inciting cries of racism.
The law, which applies to illegal immigrants who were born in the United States and those who came to the country later, would require everyone who rents property in Fremont to hold an occupancy license, the Omaha World-Herald reported.
The application for the license asks people to verify their legal right to live in the United States and must be rubber-stamped by local police, according to the paper.
"I'll fight to the dying end to do what they want," longtime Councilman Bob Warner said of constituents who advocate the legislation. "I don't know why everybody is making a mountain out of something that is very simple."
Here we go again! A small town takes on the problem of illegal immigration (As did Hazleton, PA which is about 35 miles from my location), and the Latino/Hispanic community is up in arms! Freemont is attempting to do what the Feds won't do and that is to enforce border and immigration laws on a small scale in their own backyard! This is just another reason why I am learning Spanish, because it is becoming painfully evident that I will need Spanish proficiency to communicate in a supposedly English speaking county! Nobama is right, learn Spanish or suffer the consequences!

FOXNews.com - Proposed Law to Keep Illegal Immigrants Out of Nebraska Town Causes Uproar - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:07 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,339,212 times
Remember that even if most of the attempts to run off the illegals fail; sooner or later some of the measures will be approved and will shame the Feds into action.

Too; with us going into a deep recession, there will be more 'incentive' to clamp down on illegal immigration.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:11 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,306,427 times
An occupancy license?

You have got to be kidding me. Why don't we just start requiring everyone to register their place of residence with the police. Then, after that, we can institute school uniforms with swastika armbands for our children. Then, as soon as we get the next generation indoctrinated, we can make huge progress and start rounding the "illegals" up to be sent to camps...

Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
An occupancy license?

You have got to be kidding me. Why don't we just start requiring everyone to register their place of residence with the police. Then, after that, we can institute school uniforms with swastika armbands for our children. Then, as soon as we get the next generation indoctrinated, we can make huge progress and start rounding the "illegals" up to be sent to camps...
That bothers me as well.........although, I believe that renting to a known illegal may be a Federal crime already

Needless to say: if a person here legally rents a place; there is little that the authorities could so to chase off illegal immigrant roommates------provided the latter 'flew under the radar' (no more than the maximum number of unrelated people allowed, being quiet, keeping the yard clean, etc)

Old 07-12-2008, 05:20 PM

608 posts, read 639,945 times
Quote:
An occupancy license?

As long as it applies to ALL residents who rent no matter color or creed then fine let them do it. But when you see the first paragraph in the article stating that the law only applies to a specific group of people then then to your point... insanity.

Quote:
The law, which applies to illegal immigrants who were born in the United States and those who came to the country later, would require everyone who rents property in Fremont to hold an occupancy license, the Omaha World-Herald reported.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:21 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,790,927 times
Quote:
A proposed law aimed at booting illegal immigrants from Fremont, Neb., is causing an uproar among residents and inciting cries of racism.
The law, which applies to illegal immigrants who were born in the United States and those who came to the country later
FOXNews.com - Proposed Law to Keep Illegal Immigrants Out of Nebraska Town Causes Uproar - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
What or who the hell is an illegal immigrant born in the United States?

Old 07-12-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post

What or who the hell is an illegal immigrant born in the United States?
The whole article was written poorly. But of course what do you expect from FOX News.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
That one had me scratching my head as well...........

Old 07-12-2008, 05:36 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,306,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
As long as it applies to ALL residents who rent no matter color or creed then fine let them do it. But when you see the first paragraph in the article stating that the law only applies to a specific group of people then then to your point... insanity.
Have to disagree. An occupancy license is one step short of a registration system whereby the government keeps tabs on the whereabouts of everyone. A lot of continental Europe and the former Soviet Union still have these systems, which have their origins in the days when control over population movements was very rigid. However benign it might seem, it still has the effect of drastically reducing people's liberty.

There is no way that this sort of law would withstand a court challenge, at least I sincerely hope there is no way it would. It completely goes against the freedom of movement and travel enshrined in our laws.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Have to disagree. An occupancy license is one step short of a registration system whereby the government keeps tabs on the whereabouts of everyone. A lot of continental Europe and the former Soviet Union still have these systems, which have their origins in the days when control over population movements was very rigid. However benign it might seem, it still has the effect of drastically reducing people's liberty.

There is no way that this sort of law would withstand a court challenge, at least I sincerely hope there is no way it would. It completely goes against the freedom of movement and travel enshrined in our laws.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100%. We have enough of big brother in our lives as it is we don't need more. My point being they only wanted to apply this to a specific group in the community not to all. That is why these things rarely pass and thank GOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration