Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,996,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Dream on - you fairy tailers are all the same. In practice Europe has absorbed their Mexican equivalent. The are now trying to figure how to deal with the Central American equivalents.

Hammer down? Yeah right...There is no fairy tale you guys don't believe.
I see......

The desperation of the pro illegal crowd is growing when they have to resort to remarks like 'fairy tale', etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 08:41 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,058,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I see......

The desperation of the pro illegal crowd is growing when they have to resort to remarks like 'fairy tale', etc.
Nothing new...I have been using the fairy tale and red neck fairy tale for a couple of years.

You must have missed it.

Could be...you guys don't get any better with time.

even had a moderator order me to stop using it...some of you folk though it too close to home.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Nothing new...I have been using the fairy tale and red neck fairy tale for a couple of years.

You must have missed it.

Could be...you guys don't get any better with time.

even had a moderator order me to stop using it...some of you folk though it too close to home.
I rest my case:

Your side is losing the battle of public opinion.........badly

And the ironic part is that most of us anti illegal immigrant folks would have been more tolerant of some form of 'amnesty' three years ago.

Just when those fools had their ill advised illegal immigrant 'rights' rallies starting May 2006; 'something' snapped on the American psyche......

It is past time to 'clean house'------and, if the illegal immigrants (of all races/ethnicities) were wise--------they would leave the USA immediately.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:58 PM

299 posts, read 545,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
My "insane fascination" with illegal immigrants comes from my study of history. Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union were countries whose governments took action to deal with people who had been deemed "illegal" or "undesirable." Sometimes it meant exile, sometimes it meant labor camps, sometimes it meant resettlement in other parts of the country. Often it meant death.

The reason why I don't want the U.S. government to act on "illegals" whose only "crime" is falsified documentation is because the hysteria in this country, quite evident by the ignorant and racist members of this forum, could very well lead to my government committing crimes far worse than document forgeries.
I am glad that you understand how racist that the pro-illegal crowd is.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,509,181 times
Quote:
The reason why I don't want the U.S. government to act on "illegals" whose only "crime" is falsified documentation is because the hysteria in this country, quite evident by the ignorant and racist members of this forum, could very well lead to my government committing crimes far worse than document forgeries.
Well, if you don't want the government to act now, then I suppose the alternative would be to wait, until at some point in the future (possibly the not-too-distant future), the situation gets REALLY bad, and the government is FORCED to act, whether you and I want them to or NOT.

Not trying to sound alarmist here at all. But as I see it, those are our two choices.

Given the situation as it exists today, what makes you think it will 'go away' on its own? What makes you feel that illegals will suddenly just stop coming...an attack of conscience? On what reservoir of 'good will' do you see Americans relying, that will convince them to be more understanding and tolerant of 30 million illegals in the future, than they are of 20 million illegals today? Sorry, but I guess I just don't share your optimism. I think there's a VERY good chance that what you're seeing NOW, may be just about all the tolerance we can expect....and that THAT may be wearing out as we speak.

Americans are tolerant....but at some point, there's a limit. If you know what that limit is, PLEASE!.....share it with us. Personally, though, I think we may have just about reached it right now. The next few years will tell.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:55 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,253,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Well, if you don't want the government to act now, then I suppose the alternative would be to wait, until at some point in the future (possibly the not-too-distant future), the situation gets REALLY bad, and the government is FORCED to act, whether you and I want them to or NOT.

Not trying to sound alarmist here at all. But as I see it, those are our two choices.

Given the situation as it exists today, what makes you think it will 'go away' on its own? What makes you feel that illegals will suddenly just stop coming...an attack of conscience? On what reservoir of 'good will' do you see Americans relying, that will convince them to be more understanding and tolerant of 30 million illegals in the future, than they are of 20 million illegals today? Sorry, but I guess I just don't share your optimism. I think there's a VERY good chance that what you're seeing NOW, may be just about all the tolerance we can expect....and that THAT may be wearing out as we speak.

Americans are tolerant....but at some point, there's a limit. If you know what that limit is, PLEASE!.....share it with us. Personally, though, I think we may have just about reached it right now. The next few years will tell.
I guess I just don't see the problem. I've lived in places where I've HAD to speak another language to get by, where I was surrounded by different people. It was difficult, but it was a very beneficial experience.

I think Americans could benefit tremendously by having greater numbers of people who are different living amongst them. It would make them more knowledgeable of the world around them and, assuming they had a positive attitude, a lot more enterprising and competitive on the global market. The fact is, we're losing our competitiveness as a people very fast, and getting uptight about whether the Mexican next door is documented does not help the situation one bit. Better that we learn to deal with our immigrants in a positive way that will make us all better.

On a side note, I'm amazed at the naivete of the people on this forum who actually think the U.S. government has the ability to do anything about this situation. The federal government could not provide logistical assistance to a city of 450,000 people during a hurricane. How in the hell is it supposed to deal with several thousand miles of border and 12 million people?

Better that we make peace with the situation and learn to engage it. Sitting around whining and expecting the government to solve the problem will do nothing.

Last edited by StoneOne; 07-13-2008 at 10:04 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,058,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I rest my case:

Your side is losing the battle of public opinion.........badly

And the ironic part is that most of us anti illegal immigrant folks would have been more tolerant of some form of 'amnesty' three years ago.

Just when those fools had their ill advised illegal immigrant 'rights' rallies starting May 2006; 'something' snapped on the American psyche......

It is past time to 'clean house'------and, if the illegal immigrants (of all races/ethnicities) were wise--------they would leave the USA immediately.
YOu cannot lose a battle of public opinion on matters that have no relevance to the public.

The public has absolutely no interest in deporting the illegals.

Get over it. Fairy tales do not set public policy.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:13 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,126,235 times
Quote:
The public has absolutely no interest in deporting the illegals.
Well - the LEGAL residents of the Great State of Arizona are part of the "PUBLIC" and, I can assure you, they have a GREAT interest in deporting the illegals and strongly support the actions taking place in the State to do so.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I guess I just don't see the problem. I've lived in places where I've HAD to speak another language to get by, where I was surrounded by different people. It was difficult, but it was a very beneficial experience.

I think Americans could benefit tremendously by having greater numbers of people who are different living amongst them. It would make them more knowledgeable of the world around them and, assuming they had a positive attitude, a lot more enterprising and competitive on the global market. The fact is, we're losing our competitiveness as a people very fast, and getting uptight about whether the Mexican next door is documented does not help the situation one bit. Better that we learn to deal with our immigrants in a positive way that will make us all better.

On a side note, I'm amazed at the naivete of the people on this forum who actually think the U.S. government has the ability to do anything about this situation. The federal government could not provide logistical assistance to a city of 450,000 people during a hurricane. How in the hell is it supposed to deal with several thousand miles of border and 12 million people?

Better that we make peace with the situation and learn to engage it. Sitting around whining and expecting the government to solve the problem will do nothing.
You are partially correct: some of us Americans have become 'fat and lazy' hence dependent upon others to wipe our metaphorical backsides-------it is past time that we take care of ourselves.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well - the LEGAL residents of the Great State of Arizona are part of the "PUBLIC" and, I can assure you, they have a GREAT interest in deporting the illegals and strongly support the actions taking place in the State to do so.
Just desperation on the pro illegal side------their comments and arguments are becoming more inane by the day hence their show of fear masquerading as machismo.

Too; with the crashing economy-------that is forcing out illegals by the car load 24/7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration