U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:19 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,635,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I guess I just don't see the problem. I've lived in places where I've HAD to speak another language to get by, where I was surrounded by different people. It was difficult, but it was a very beneficial experience.

I think Americans could benefit tremendously by having greater numbers of people who are different living amongst them. It would make them more knowledgeable of the world around them and, assuming they had a positive attitude, a lot more enterprising and competitive on the global market. The fact is, we're losing our competitiveness as a people very fast, and getting uptight about whether the Mexican next door is documented does not help the situation one bit. Better that we learn to deal with our immigrants in a positive way that will make us all better.

On a side note, I'm amazed at the naivete of the people on this forum who actually think the U.S. government has the ability to do anything about this situation. The federal government could not provide logistical assistance to a city of 450,000 people during a hurricane. How in the hell is it supposed to deal with several thousand miles of border and 12 million people?

Better that we make peace with the situation and learn to engage it. Sitting around whining and expecting the government to solve the problem will do nothing.
I hope your view is shared by the majority..though I don't hold out a lot of hope. Voluntarily going to a place where you're forced to assimilate into a different culture can be an enriching experience (I've done it myself)...as long as it's seen as being 'voluntary'. However, trying to convince people who consider themselves 'at home' in the nation of their birth, that it's necessary for them to assimilate to a group of newcomers...Many of whom are illegal, and many of whom seem none too enthusiastic about 'adjusting' themselves to OUR culture, MIGHT be a tougher idea to 'sell'.

Your approach..that Americans should do the assimilating, for their own personal gain, and for the broadening of their minds, MAY appeal to some people....but then again, it may NOT. Americans have historically been very resistant to the idea of ANYTHING being 'shoved down their throats'....even when it's something 'good for them'...

Given that Americans are seen by many as grumpy, monolingual, standoffish xenophobes, I guess I'm a little pessimistic as to just how enthusiastically they'll adopt your notion of wanting to 'improve themselves' by stretching their minds to adapt to a 'new' culture that has come to THEM, without their 'approval'. Once again, that's a little different than opting to live overseas for a period.

I DO hope you're right, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,567,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well - the LEGAL residents of the Great State of Arizona are part of the "PUBLIC" and, I can assure you, they have a GREAT interest in deporting the illegals and strongly support the actions taking place in the State to do so.
I am sure they do...and it is all irrelevant. Even if you get 20 or 30 or 40 million people believing the fairy tale you still lose to reality.

Deportation...forced or voluntary is not going to happen. It is simply not feasible.

And only the bitter rednecks of places like AZ would believe the fairy tale.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,418,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I am sure they do...and it is all irrelevant. Even if you get 20 or 30 or 40 million people believing the fairy tale you still lose to reality.

Deportation...forced or voluntary is not going to happen. It is simply not feasible.
In the State of Arizona, IT IS HAPPENING - and, it is happening daily.

And the LEGAL residents of Arizona do not think what is happening is "irrelvant".

You are pro illegal - and I believe just about everyone here knows it Capt -

Old 07-13-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:

And the LEGAL residents of Arizona do not think what is happening is "irrelvant".

Just pro reality GD...a contact that you and yours have lost....

Old 07-13-2008, 10:32 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,686,125 times
Quote:

State governments are better equipped to manage the process in a way that is fair and efficient for all involved. Good for Arizona if it is doing things properly.

What bothers me terribly about the anti-illegal crowd on this forum is the expectation that this should be a national undertaking at the federal level. A centralized process involving the deportation of millions of people is going to be rife with corruption, not to mention abuses of all kinds. That is what I'm worried about.

If local communities and state governments can find ways to deal with the problem that do not violate the U.S. Constitution and do not subject U.S. citizens and legal residents to undue burdens, then more power to them.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:33 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,418,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Just pro reality GD...a contact that you and yours have lost....
Reality is - in the State of Arizona, we are DEPORTING illegals - much to your chagrin -

AND, the PEOPLE - the LEGAL Residents totally support such actions -

Old 07-13-2008, 10:46 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Quote:
Reality is - in the State of Arizona, we are DEPORTING illegals - much to your chagrin -

olecapt is nothing but a Troll grasping at straws.

Think about it: if he were truly confident of his views-------he would have 'bigger fish to fry' than try to convince us otherwise

Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:

Think so GD?...bet that AZ illegal population is in fact increasing. Mostly you are chasing the hispanic. The illegals keep coming and hunker down.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,062,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I guess I just don't see the problem. I've lived in places where I've HAD to speak another language to get by, where I was surrounded by different people. It was difficult, but it was a very beneficial experience. .
You're missing the point. If we're struggling for natural resources now like oil and dealing with water drouts, etc. how much worse will it be if millions of illegal immigrants continue to enter the country. Please tell me how CA passing laws to fine people hundreds of dollars for overuse of water or having routine "brown outs" is benefitting me? You seem to think the only issue here is someone with a different culture living next door.

Quote:
On a side note, I'm amazed at the naivete of the people on this forum who actually think the U.S. government has the ability to do anything about this situation.
We have accomplished many great things as a country (Many thought we would never find a cure for polio or land a man on the moon). The federal and state governments working collectively can do quite a bit to manage this problem. The issue is, it's not expedient for the political leaders to address this issue due to the benefit of cheap labor for big businesses and not wanting to disenfranchise certain voter pools (at least in a tight election year).

Quote:
Better that we make peace with the situation and learn to engage it.
Spoken like a true pro-illegal. The only people that should make sacrificies and accomodations are Americans. Illegals do not have engage or assimilate.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 PM

300 posts, read 482,356 times
Political correctness baby, pure & simple.

Our political masters have told us to say anything, do anything about invading illegal thugs is racist.

Babies raped & murdered. Innocents killed. Citizens mowed down by drunken illegal aliens. Your towns & cities taken over & turned into lawless third world barrios. Yet we're told we cannot say or do anything about it.

We must celebrate diversity. We must tolerate. We must embrace our invading thug hordes.

Nothing, & I mean nothing else matters in America today. The most important thing is diversity & tolerance at all costs.

You & your family do not matter. Your way of life does not matter. Your safety does not matter. The rule of law does not matter. America does not matter.

Now, I want everyone of you to shut your mouths & take it. You'll put up with it. You may whisper in hushed tones about it but you may not discuss it in public.

Our elite knows what's best for us & we cannot be "racist". As you know, Americans would rather see their daughters raped, their families slaughtered, their entire world destroyed rather then be called "GASP" a racist.

So just stand in line at the ice cream stand while a group of bald headed, heavily tattooed, third world skinheads leer at your young daughters & act as if it's just normal everyday life.

Duck & run as heavily armed third world thugs have shoot-outs on your streets then simply act as if it's always been like this.

So carry on sheeple. Continue telling yourselves how "progressive" you are & how wonderful diversity is. Soon you will get your lemmings orders & learn which hill you'll dive off of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or