U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 06:02 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Instead, an East Valley Tribune review of sheriff's records found the vast majority of arrests have involved average people trying to get into the country to get a job.
In 2006 and 2007, the first two years the sheriff's office did immigration enforcement, deputies arrested 578 illegal immigrants using traffic stops, most of them men in their 20s and 30s from central Mexico. Of those, 498 faced only a single charge for paying a smuggler, records show. Deputies found just one firearm during the stops, and made only seven drug arrests.
Changing goals mark sheriff's immigration effort

Another interesting article on what a joke Sherrif Arpaio is, he is running around chasing day laborers instead of focusing on real criminals. I am sure that his kool-aid drinking followers will come in praising him for all the "good" work he's doing by getting those "hardcore" criminals off the streets.

Btw, if all illegal immigrants were murderers,rapists and hardcore criminals as some suggest on here, then 489 arrrested by arpaio were only guilty of trying to find work here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post

Another interesting article on what a joke Sherrif Arpaio is, he is running around chasing day laborers instead of focusing on real criminals. I am sure that his kool-aid drinking followers will come in praising him for all the "good" work he's doing by getting those "hardcore" criminals off the streets.

Btw, if all illegal immigrants were murderers,rapists and hardcore criminals as some suggest on here, then 489 arrrested by arpaio were only guilty of trying to find work here?
I'm grateful that Sheriff Arpaio is arresting these men. It keeps them off the jobsites and out of my pocket. I don't care WHAT you think about it, because just like AMC your 'connection' to these criminals is OBVIOUS.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Blacknight you are correct in that as yet their crimes appear to be quite small.
The bigger picture:
Those illegals have taken jobs from legals. Yes the employers made it available or sponsered them. The employers should be fined and if they repeat the offense imprisoned.
The fact remains that illegal immigration is not a victimless crime. It hurts every taxpayer. For those illegals don't pay taxes, may be carrying diseases and often bring with them other burdens that you and I and every taxpayer must carry.
I can pity them for their life in their original country. I can even forgive their desire to cheat our system for want of a better life. I can not and will not forgive them for jobs they have stolen from legal residents and citizens. I will not pardon their theft of our tax dollars and services.
I don't hate them. I do resent their trespass.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:25 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Blacknight you are correct in that as yet their crimes appear to be quite small.
The bigger picture:
Those illegals have taken jobs from legals. Yes the employers made it available or sponsered them. The employers should be fined and if they repeat the offense imprisoned.
The fact remains that illegal immigration is not a victimless crime. It hurts every taxpayer. For those illegals don't pay taxes, may be carrying diseases and often bring with them other burdens that you and I and every taxpayer must carry.
I can pity them for their life in their original country. I can even forgive their desire to cheat our system for want of a better life. I can not and will not forgive them for jobs they have stolen from legal residents and citizens. I will not pardon their theft of our tax dollars and services.
I don't hate them. I do resent their trespass.
The OP probably has its own agenda as to why it wants illegals already here in the USA 'amnestied'.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,346,735 times
Sheriff Joe is my hero! Fighting crime is what he is paid to do and he does a great job of it.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:39 PM

307 posts, read 458,237 times
Default Arpaio Arrests 80 Human Traffickers, Drug Smugglers and other Felons, as well as 498 Illegal Aliens!

NOTE the article say 498 were for paying to illegally enter the country. That implies that 80 of those arrested (Almost 20%) were more serious (Could be anything from those smuggling the illegals accross to murderers and rapists). Notice one was for firearms and 7 for drugs, Funny how an article with a biased slant doesn't mention what those 72 were arrested for.

Of course it wouldn't help their cause if it was headlined as "Arpaio Arrests 80 Human Traffickers, Drug Smugglers and other Felons, as well as 498 Illegal Aliens" so they ignore the 72.

Random
Quote:
[url="http://news.ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=895663"] ...the sheriff's office did immigration enforcement, deputies arrested 578 illegal immigrants using traffic stops, most of them men in their 20s and 30s from central Mexico.

Of those, 498 faced only a single charge for paying a smuggler, records show. Deputies found just one firearm during the stops, and made only seven drug arrests.

Last edited by RandomU; 07-15-2008 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 02:05 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
NOTE the article say 498 were for paying to illegally enter the country. That implies that 80 of those arrested (Almost 20%) were more serious (Could be anything from those smuggling the illegals accross to murderers and rapists). Notice one was for firearms and 7 for drugs, Funny how an article with a biased slant doesn't mention what those 72 were arrested for.

Of course it wouldn't help their cause if it was headlined as "Arpaio Arrests 80 Human Traffickers, Drug Smugglers and other Felons, as well as 498 Illegal Aliens" so they ignore the 72.

Random
I like the way you broke that down. Kinda clears up the 'spin', doesn't it?

I gave you rep for it, too.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:15 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,865,775 times
Quote:

I don't care if they were only coming across the border to get a haircut. Border jumping is a crime and should be taken seriously. You say they were just coming over looking for work. Why are they coming here to take our jobs when so many have already been sent straight to them in Mexico. We are getting attacked on both fronts here and it is ridiculous. I personally know 6 American guys right now who can't find a job. But, if the illegals were not here working those guys would all have jobs. Maybe 2 or 3. We are running out of jobs in the US and we are still steadily giving them to illegal foreigners and all the while the "help the illegals" cheerleaders are cheering them on. Point is, they were still caught committing a criminal act weather or not it involved firearms or drugs. And news break, most criminals are going to establish a place of operations and get their affairs in order before they start with their criminal activities. It doesn't do much good to run over with 2 keys of coke and have no where to take it and no one to sell it too. That is just not good business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or