U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2008, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Does that mean people cannot stand at the curb/offramp/onramp that says in English or Spanish or whatever language " will work for food ", "broke need help" " will be honest, I need a beer" etc. Steve
IMO, there’s a HUGE difference between one or two panhandlers standing on a road median, and 50+ “day laborers” loitering in the Home Depot parking lot or the neighborhood 7-11. This is precisely why I refuse to patronize a particular Home Depot in MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2008, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Major Metro
1,083 posts, read 2,059,755 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
IMO, there’s a HUGE difference between one or two panhandlers standing on a road median, and 50+ “day laborers” loitering in the Home Depot parking lot or the neighborhood 7-11. This is precisely why I refuse to patronize a particular Home Depot in MD.
Why is it always Home Depot? I see several standing around in the Home Depot parking lots in Los Angeles as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Why is it always Home Depot? I see several standing around in the Home Depot parking lots in Los Angeles as well.
I’m not sure; but I suspect the owners of Home Depot are being compensated. Otherwise, it defies logic. They must realize they’re losing business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Reputation: 3587
I am not for people sneaking into the country but it is not the business of Arizona if somebody is standing on private property and solicting a job. They hang around Home Depot here all day and they don't bother me or anybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The CITIZENS - the LEGAL Residents of Arizona
Since large parts of that state were stolen from Mexico, the Mexicans might be the LEGAL residents and the whites might be the ILLEGAL residents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 06:07 PM
 
1,956 posts, read 4,677,050 times
Reputation: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am not for people sneaking into the country but it is not the business of Arizona if somebody is standing on private property and solicting a job. They hang around Home Depot here all day and they don't bother me or anybody else.
I agree. Only if they are on the roads obstructing traffic should it be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Since large parts of that state were stolen from Mexico, the Mexicans might be the LEGAL residents and the whites might be the ILLEGAL residents!
Bought and paid for, not stolen. You really should open a book sometime...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Major Metro
1,083 posts, read 2,059,755 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am not for people sneaking into the country but it is not the business of Arizona if somebody is standing on private property and solicting a job. They hang around Home Depot here all day and they don't bother me or anybody else.
As a petite female, I don't particularly enjoy passing through a row of men on either side of me as I try to enter into a store (even when they are just looking and not saying anything) but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
As a petite female, I don't particularly enjoy passing through a row of men on either side of me as I try to enter into a store (even when they are just looking and not saying anything) but that's just me.
My sentiments EXACTLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Since large parts of that state were stolen from Mexico, the Mexicans might be the LEGAL residents and the whites might be the ILLEGAL residents!
The Spanish stole the land from the indigenous peoples here ca. 1492------and, I am not referring to the Aztecs either (their homeland was in today's Mexico).

Besides: most of the 'Mexicans' (of any race) stayed on when we took possession of our Southwest between 1836-53. Somehow: I think their descendents would take offence to be placed back under (corrupt) Mexican dominion.

Besides: Mexico has not been truly independent till 1867 when the French left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top