U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Most of those people didn't go to school, those who dont learn english. Most of them work jobs where speaking English is not a necessity.
But when the children go to school, and grow up in American culture, they have no choice but to learn English. Its not like they consciously do it..it happens naturally.
The problem is -- these kids are not growing up in American culture. They are growing up with Spanish speaking teachers, they are learning the Mexican version of US history, they are not being exposed much to American culture. They watch Mexican television, listen to radio stations playing Mexican music, they see the Mexican flag being flown and are encouraged to maintain their Mexican citizenship but have USA citizenship for the financial benefits.

There are children born here who would feel very out-of-place in a typical American English speaking city but would feel very at home in any Mexican town.

Assimilation is not a given -- just ask the American Indian about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem is -- these kids are not growing up in American culture. They are growing up with Spanish speaking teachers, they are learning the Mexican version of US history, they are not being exposed much to American culture. They watch Mexican television, listen to radio stations playing Mexican music, they see the Mexican flag being flown and are encouraged to maintain their Mexican citizenship but have USA citizenship for the financial benefits.

There are children born here who would feel very out-of-place in a typical American English speaking city but would feel very at home in any Mexican town.

Let that serve as a warning that us Americans could be the next 'Indians' if we keep having George Montezuma uh Bush leading us down the path of destruction---------with Mexico being the next 'White eyes'.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,998,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The article seems to dispute what you're saying, amc, and the study it was based on was run by 2 folks who are quite obviously pro-immigration (legal or otherwise). It might not be a bad idea if you would actually READ the OP.
I did. And its still speculation on what could possibly happen.
Does your Mexican parent only speak spanish?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:06 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,076,179 times
last i checked curriculum in the LAUSD was universal. fewer and fewer kids are in ELP, ELD, ESL, whatever it is. and they dont learn the mexican version of US history! seriously, where do you get this stuff? nice generalizations. it made me laugh. please tell me what they are based on. are you a spanish speaking teacher? do your kids go to school to learn the mexican version of US history? ajajaja

assimilation happens and it happens with the first generation more so than with the immigrant. my parents, immigrants, had little time to devote to taking english classes. they learned enough to get by, but it wasnt until later on in life, after the kids were grown and old age set in that they went to school for english...and computers!!!

most kids who grow up here will learn english, but the parents do have trouble.

at home we only spoke spanish, but at school and in the streets and amongst my siblings and friends mostly english.

we helped my parents when they needed it, but they did labor jobs. like most people do. and well you learn the "industry lingo" more than the practical stuff. my mom can name just about every part of a sewing machine[in english]. would she be able to DESCRIBE it in english? ?? i imagine she would only confuse me. they learend the english they had to learn and that is the case with many immigrants.

it is the kids who have the greatest opportunities.

assimilation does happen.

besides you people make it seem like they are comng from mud huts to a pent house, with your 3rd world/1st world dichotomous examples. it is not that extreme. besides most latin american countries are developed or developing.

so yes even if they were coming from a "3rd world" coutnry they would assimilate. not all of them of course. as we have seen with people who commit honor killings and such. some people just dont leave certain behaviour behind. most immigrants families will be assimilate in one form or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Old 07-18-2008, 01:28 PM

608 posts, read 881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
last i checked curriculum in the LAUSD was universal. fewer and fewer kids are in ELP, ELD, ESL, whatever it is. and they dont learn the mexican version of US history! seriously, where do you get this stuff? nice generalizations. it made me laugh. please tell me what they are based on. are you a spanish speaking teacher? do your kids go to school to learn the mexican version of US history? ajajaja

assimilation happens and it happens with the first generation more so than with the immigrant. my parents, immigrants, had little time to devote to taking english classes. they learned enough to get by, but it wasnt until later on in life, after the kids were grown and old age set in that they went to school for english...and computers!!!

most kids who grow up here will learn english, but the parents do have trouble.

at home we only spoke spanish, but at school and in the streets and amongst my siblings and friends mostly english.

we helped my parents when they needed it, but they did labor jobs. like most people do. and well you learn the "industry lingo" more than the practical stuff. my mom can name just about every part of a sewing machine[in english]. would she be able to DESCRIBE it in english? ?? i imagine she would only confuse me. they learend the english they had to learn and that is the case with many immigrants.

it is the kids who have the greatest opportunities.

assimilation does happen.

besides you people make it seem like they are comng from mud huts to a pent house, with your 3rd world/1st world dichotomous examples. it is not that extreme. besides most latin american countries are developed or developing.

so yes even if they were coming from a "3rd world" coutnry they would assimilate. not all of them of course. as we have seen with people who commit honor killings and such. some people just dont leave certain behaviour behind. most immigrants families will be assimilate in one form or another.
Also, what the article failed to mention was the quality of the schools in these so called barrios. We all know that many inner city and even some rural schools are not of the same caliber of more wealthy suburbs, well managed school districts or private schools. So one would have to ask, are the young generation in question failing to assimilate as a product of the barrios or a product of substandard educational opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration