Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:06 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times

Advertisements

THE UNSPEAKABLE PERIL FOR LATINOS - New York Post

Quote:
"John McCain and Barack Obama both gave speeches at the League of United Latin American Citizens convention in Wash ington - and in the 4,600 words they spoke between them didn't mention assimilation once."
Quote:
"But for the bulk of new Latino immigrants - Mexican-Americans - it's not working this way. In their book-length study "Generations of Exclusion," UCLA sociologists Edward E. Telles and Vilma Ortiz paint an alarming picture of assimilation proceeding only haltingly and sometimes stalling out entirely."
Quote:
"Telles and Ortiz are hardly right-wingers. They denounce immigration restrictionists as nativists and blame the failures of assimilation on racism. But the logic of their analysis suggests that less immigration would promote assimilation "because opportunities for speaking Spanish, living in barrios, and marrying other persons of Mexican origin would diminish."
There's a lot more interesting reading at the link, I don't want to violate any copyright rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
THE UNSPEAKABLE PERIL FOR LATINOS - New York Post

There's a lot more interesting reading at the link, I don't want to violate any copyright rules.

Everyone should wonder what is behind all this. Why are they allowing millions of people to simply come on over, primarily from one third world nation, and with no intention of having them ever assimilate into our society.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:47 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Everyone should wonder what is behind all this. Why are they allowing millions of people to simply come on over, primarily from one third world nation, and with no intention of having them ever assimilate into our society.
Ever?

Old 07-13-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Ever?
Did you read the article?

UCLA sociologists Edward E. Telles and Vilma Ortiz paint an alarming picture of assimilation proceeding only haltingly and sometimes stalling out entirely.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Did you read the article?

UCLA sociologists Edward E. Telles and Vilma Ortiz paint an alarming picture of assimilation proceeding only haltingly and sometimes stalling out entirely.
I just don't see it. I don't see assimilation not happening. The idea is even ridiculous to me.

Like I'm witnessing it all the time.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I just don't see it. I don't see assimilation not happening. The idea is even ridiculous to me.

Like I'm witnessing it all the time.
I witness it not happening all the time so I can see what these people are saying.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:05 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
I worked half a night shift tonight. I work for a large corp. That at times uses temp labor services.
Tonight we had 3 latino's doing unskilled repack work. Only 1 of them spoke english. I asked how long they had been in the USA. The one who spoke english had been here since he was a boy. The other two man and wife a little over 3 years. 3 years and still unable to speak english....
I called their supervisor and asked that the 2 non-english speakers be replaced. Why? Their own saftey. Its a factory. Running machinery everywhere and all of it dangerous if you are unaware of the hazards. The hazards are clearly marked but in english only. I wanted to ask for green cards but was told not to do that. It might offend them.... Not my team so oh well. I have their names and come 7 am I will make a call and see about getting it investigated.
My point being 3 years and unable to understand or speak the language of the land. I would say not much effort towards assimulation has been made.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 AM

I could easily find you people who have been here more than 20 years and cannot read or write in English and cannot say an entire short sentence in English.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I could easily find you people who have been here more than 20 years and cannot read or write in English and cannot say an entire short sentence in English.
Most of those people didn't go to school, those who dont learn english. Most of them work jobs where speaking English is not a necessity.
But when the children go to school, and grow up in American culture, they have no choice but to learn English. Its not like they consciously do it..it happens naturally.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I worked half a night shift tonight. I work for a large corp. That at times uses temp labor services.
Tonight we had 3 latino's doing unskilled repack work. Only 1 of them spoke english. I asked how long they had been in the USA. The one who spoke english had been here since he was a boy. The other two man and wife a little over 3 years. 3 years and still unable to speak english....
I called their supervisor and asked that the 2 non-english speakers be replaced. Why? Their own saftey. Its a factory. Running machinery everywhere and all of it dangerous if you are unaware of the hazards. The hazards are clearly marked but in english only. I wanted to ask for green cards but was told not to do that. It might offend them.... Not my team so oh well. I have their names and come 7 am I will make a call and see about getting it investigated.
My point being 3 years and unable to understand or speak the language of the land. I would say not much effort towards assimulation has been made.
3 years is not a long time. Its not like they came to America to study abroad. They come to do manual labor. The first generation that comes to America doesnt learn English right away. Much less people who have been here for 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration