U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 06:35 AM

300 posts, read 481,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
We will be a fractured nation with no common identitiy except shopping at Wal-mart. The elites could care less because nothing will truly change for them except they will probably exist at an even loftier level than they are now. When we are a latin/asian nation like all the pro-illegal types want us to be, I wonder how the last major influx (from Africa) will be received. Will our new population be a wonderous and liberal one towards these folks. Let's put it like this, those Africans will burn in the Congo while Mr. Martinez and Mr. Wong are to busy taking a shiit. A cesspool we will become.....
Balkinization is what comes to mind, especially since we can already see it happening.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:05 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Will blue states remain blue states, swing states become blue states, and red states become swing states if current immigration and immigrant birth rate trends continue unchanged (or even increase) going out to 2050?

What changes will we as a society face when 2050 arrives? How will we be able to deal with these changes and remain the world's superpower?

Why do many people in academia, government, media, entertainment, and even industry feel that "this is a good thing"? Why?
Yeah, I wonder about that myself - whenever I read articles about the "future of the U.S. population", it sounds POSITIVE. What's so positive about having that many people, in the first place, and having our society "latinized" along with it? While illegals keep coming, and using OUR tax money for living expenses.............great. Yeah, I love it. Sounds good to me.

(I hope I'll be dead, which I probably will be).

Old 07-16-2008, 12:17 PM

540 posts, read 859,480 times
In 50 years, hispanics will have assymilated into the US and a new group will be heavily immigrating into the country only to be villified by those worried that they will take over the country. Those with hispanic parents and grandparents will belong to both political parties (that look significantly different than they do today). Technology will have continued to raise the standard of living for all Americans - even if the gap has widened further between rich and poor. Global cooling will be the next environmental disaster waiting to happen - and Al Gore's grandchildren will be there to push the liberal agenda (after one of them makes the next great breakthrough on the Internet, of course). Free trade, commerce, communications, and travel will have shrunk the world even more - all for the benefit of all people.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:26 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
In 50 years, hispanics will have assymilated into the US and a new group will be heavily immigrating into the country only to be villified by those worried that they will take over the country. Those with hispanic parents and grandparents will belong to both political parties (that look significantly different than they do today). Technology will have continued to raise the standard of living for all Americans - even if the gap has widened further between rich and poor. Global cooling will be the next environmental disaster waiting to happen - and Al Gore's grandchildren will be there to push the liberal agenda (after one of them makes the next great breakthrough on the Internet, of course). Free trade, commerce, communications, and travel will have shrunk the world even more - all for the benefit of all people.
American of 'Hispanic' heritage I am not concerned about; they will do just fine------especially when those horsecrap Affirmative Action programs are finally scrapped which have hurt the targeted groups more than they have helped IMHO.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:36 PM

792 posts, read 2,739,797 times
The scary thing is that with the change in populace (size and diversity) and the resulting political shift (to left) it may be even harder (if not impossible) to stop/restrict immigration (both illegal and legal) as well as eliminate/scale back Affirmative Action/Diversity programs.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
The scary thing is that with the change in populace (size and diversity) and the resulting political shift (to left) it may be even harder (if not impossible) to stop/restrict immigration (both illegal and legal) as well as eliminate/scale back Affirmative Action/Diversity programs.
I am not letting the 'Right' off the hook either-------illegal immigration was a flood in the early/mid 2000's when both Houses of Congress and the White House were in Republican hands.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 PM

792 posts, read 2,739,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am not letting the 'Right' off the hook either-------illegal immigration was a flood in the early/mid 2000's when both Houses of Congress and the White House were in Republican hands.
Cheap labor?

We are offshoring and outsourcing jobs/work like there's no tomorrow. We are letting in newcomers (and subsidizing some to multiply) like there's no tomorrow. Where will we be when tomorrow comes? When one curve (# US jobs) dives and the other curve (# people) kisses the sky?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,593,561 times
2050 America will be better off than it is today. The conservatives will have been politically destroyed allowing the rebirth of the American labour movement and an expanding middle class.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
2050 America will be better off than it is today. The conservatives will have been politically destroyed allowing the rebirth of the American labour movement and an expanding middle class.
Bush et all ain't conservative IMHO.

And in all fairness; many of today's self described 'conservatives' would have been considered liberal in 1957.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 AM

300 posts, read 481,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post

LOLOLOLOLOLOL Thank you for that laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration