U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:01 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes, I am serious. When the Chinese and Italians were immigrating in waves, there was no special services for them. They worked hard, studied harder and pushed their children to get out of the ethnic enclaves that they themselves found refuge in.
There was none of this -- it takes three generations to become fluent crap. They did it one and oftentimes less. They wanted to become Americans not for the benefits they could receive but for the freedoms it represented. Yes, they celebrated Lunar New Year and Santa Lucia festivals.....but their new country was their country, and it had their whole allegiance.
How true. Have you ever eaten in a restaurant in Chinatown and not been able to communicate with the employees in English? I sure havenít. They may retain their language, but they certainly understand English as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 06:06 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
I don't think the Italian and Chinese got free medical care, free school breakfasts and lunches, WIC, (etc.) either.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:11 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Yes, I am serious. When the Chinese and Italians were immigrating in waves, there was no special services for them. They worked hard, studied harder and pushed their children to get out of the ethnic enclaves that they themselves found refuge in.
There was none of this -- it takes three generations to become fluent crap. They did it one and oftentimes less. They wanted to become Americans not for the benefits they could receive but for the freedoms it represented. Yes, they celebrated Lunar New Year and Santa Lucia festivals.....but their new country was their country, and it had their whole allegiance.
You are really generalizing.
Asians=good
Latinos=bad.

How can you do that?

How do you know all Asians came here to be American and not for the benefits? And how do you know all Latinos came here for the benefits and not to be American?

How do you know they both didnt come for both?

And who said its taking Latinos 3 generations to learn English?

Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I don't think the Italian and Chinese got free medical care, free school breakfasts and lunches, WIC, (etc.) either.
Im sure there are some that do. And there are plenty of whites who do as well. It's case by case, not entire ethnic groups getting welfare.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How true. Have you ever eaten in a restaurant in Chinatown and not been able to communicate with the employees in English? I sure havenít. They may retain their language, but they certainly understand English as well.
The owners sure, but how about the waiters? Or the cooks?

Ive been to several restaurants in Monterrey Park and Alhambra where whole business areas are filled with non English speakers.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:39 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
amc I was talking about legal immigrants who came before - they made it without the government's help or having everything translated. Apparently you want special privileges for the Spanish-speaking illegals

Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
You are really generalizing.
Asians=good
Latinos=bad.

How can you do that?

How do you know all Asians came here to be American and not for the benefits? And how do you know all Latinos came here for the benefits and not to be American?

How do you know they both didnt come for both?

And who said its taking Latinos 3 generations to learn English?
I am not saying asians are good and latinos are bad. I am saying that any immigrant group that clings solely to the old country via language and customs are not showing a desire to assimiliate to their new country.
Also there beyond the show of assimiliation, learning the predominant language of their new country is a matter of safety. I often go to a state part near Fremont (yes the same that is trying to pass ordinances against renting to illegals) where there are a lot of spanish speaking people. The last time I was there (on the fourth weekend) there was a little girl about two years old walking naked down a very busy road by the beach. I looked to a woman sitting near me at the beach and asked her "do you know that little girl?" she looked at me blankly and shrugged and said 'no english'. So I went over to the little girl to get her out of the street and asked her where is your mommy? She had no idea what I was saying either. I asked her "Donde es mama?" which I hope meant where is your mommy but I think it just as likely I asked how her mommy was feeling? Anyways, it was at that time the woman on the beach who didn't speak English said "Its fine, it's fine -- Carolina! Carolina!" to (hopefully) the girls mother who was further down the beach. My point in this story is that if you live in a country that does not speak your langauge, for gods sake teach you children simple phrases in the dominant language so that if she gets lost she can know what her rescuers are saying. And sadly enough, be able to tell the difference between someone who wants to help versus some creep who thinks they won the lotto.

The long and short of it is this......if illegals who are predominately hispanic really wanted to assimiliate they would. If they really wanted to learn the English they would. They don't. Not only that, but their 'spokespeople' and organizers would like nothing better then to see them forever marginalized (albeit in greater numbers) so that 'they' can continue to have a job railing against the injustices done to 'their people'. And sadly the latino immigrants are falling for it and will be crushed by it.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
amc I was talking about legal immigrants who came before - they made it without the government's help or having everything translated. Apparently you want special privileges for the Spanish-speaking illegals
I don't really care on that part of the debate to tell the truth.
I'm just arguing that Latinos are assimilating as well, with myself being an example.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:53 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Agreed. The same can be said for the Vietnamese. They tend to identify very closely with Black people.

The only other group of people that have come here in volumes illegally and remain in enclaves are illegals from Poland.

Needless to say, their numbers are substantially lower than illegal alien hispanics and even though they tend to stay in enclaves (mainly because of their English deficiency) they deliberately fly below the radar. No racist/arrogant demands and their properties/neighborhoods are immaculate.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:53 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,018,519 times
Excellent, on point assessments, JDubsMom and camping. I live in Los Angeles, in an area wherein one foreign nationality of both legal and illegal immigrants became the majority within a dozen years.

Based upon the changes for the worse forced upon my neighborhood ( such as signage in English gone, graffiti abounding where there never had been any before within three generations' memories, no children speaking any English until they're exposed to it in grade school, knee-jerk misogyny, gangs like MS-13 incubated from vendetta-mad foreign cultures, litter and debris now the norm, ear-splitting, window-rattling music broadcast from arena-worthy p.a. systems 24/7, xenophobia towards Americans in an American city!) this majority would like nothing better than for anyone not from their "home" country to leave L.A. ASAP, if not drop off the face of the planet, so that no evidence of anything without cultural genesis in their particular foreign country remains, especially language. I also applauded Mr. Ramirez truth-telling in today's Daily News feature, and he underscores my assertion that naturalized citizens are amongst our finest possible citizens as assets to our country. They actually have assimilated into Americans.

Last edited by fastfilm; 07-14-2008 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or