U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times

Advertisements

I've felt and I've had differences with my wife about it - that Latinos are being pampered," says Ramirez. "We're being catered to. We're being made more and more dependent because there's always a service for everything that we need.

"Not just Latinos, but in general, the government has spent too much money on services that turn people into being more dependent. There's no reason to fight for anything if you're getting what you need."

Pacoima and the surrounding Northeast Valley are growing evidence of how Central American and Mexican immigrants are increasingly forming linguistic, cultural, economic and sometimes even political enclaves outside the traditional American mainstream.

For many immigrants in the Valley, life continues as it did in their native countries - LA Daily News

This article pretty much sums up why we need to end illegal immigration immediately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Next we gotta clean up those nasty chinatowns. How will they ever assimilate!

Like pointed out in the article, there were lots of chinatowns and little italy's across this country. Yet SOMEHOW people assimilated.

The reason so much Spanish is spoken is because the newest batch of immigrants, there are a lot of new Latinos in this country. Their kids will grow up speaking English.

That guys sits there talking English in a Latino restaurants, and he's scared he's the only one who will be able to speak the language?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:29 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Chinatown? Little Italys? Point to me a time when both the local and federal governments printed everything and I do mean everything in Chinese or Italian? They didn't. Those immigrants had to learn English. Those immigrants didn't have a social net to catch them if they failed, whether they were here legally or not. And finally those immigrants actually wanted to assimiliate and suceed in America --- not be top dog in their barrio.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:45 PM

956 posts, read 2,646,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Their kids will grow up speaking English.
And writing it, as evidenced by many a wall or building side.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Chinatown? Little Italys? Point to me a time when both the local and federal governments printed everything and I do mean everything in Chinese or Italian? They didn't. Those immigrants had to learn English. Those immigrants didn't have a social net to catch them if they failed, whether they were here legally or not. And finally those immigrants actually wanted to assimiliate and suceed in America --- not be top dog in their barrio.
The article speaks about how Latino neighborhoods are a sort of refuge for the newly immigrated. A place where their culture is very prevalent, making for an easy transition to life in a new country. Just like Chinatowns are and Little Italy's were.
And the government offers translations for lots of languages besides Spanish. mandarin, korean, tagalog, russian, etc etc. Go to any DMV in LA County.

"Top dog in their barrio"? Are you serious?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
And writing it, as evidenced by many a wall or building side.
Racial stereotype aside, I'm glad youre backing up my claim. You even claim "evidence".

Old 07-14-2008, 05:19 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
The article speaks about how Latino neighborhoods are a sort of refuge for the newly immigrated. A place where their culture is very prevalent, making for an easy transition to life in a new country. Just like Chinatowns are and Little Italy's were.
And the government offers translations for lots of languages besides Spanish. mandarin, korean, tagalog, russian, etc etc.
In Arizona - let the MCSO drive through certain areas - or approach certain employers - and boy do people scatter.

They are then detained - turned over to ICE - and deported within days -

And, this is happening all over the State of Arizona - when Illegals say they are feeling ... "uncomfortable" or "unwelcomed".

Well DUH!!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In Arizona - let the MCSO drive through certain areas - or approach certain employers - and boy do people scatter.

They are then detained - turned over to ICE - and deported within days -

And, this is happening all over the State of Arizona - when Illegals say they are feeling ... "uncomfortable" or "unwelcomed".

Well DUH!!!!
Why did you quote my post? How does your post relate to mine?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Quote:
And the government offers translations for lots of languages besides Spanish. mandarin, korean, tagalog, russian, etc etc. Go to any DMV in LA County.

"Top dog in their barrio"? Are you serious?
Yes, I am serious. When the Chinese and Italians were immigrating in waves, there was no special services for them. They worked hard, studied harder and pushed their children to get out of the ethnic enclaves that they themselves found refuge in.
There was none of this -- it takes three generations to become fluent crap. They did it one and oftentimes less. They wanted to become Americans not for the benefits they could receive but for the freedoms it represented. Yes, they celebrated Lunar New Year and Santa Lucia festivals.....but their new country was their country, and it had their whole allegiance.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:00 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,924,989 times
Mr. Ramirez is the kind of person that we need more of in this country. He reminds me of my neighbors across the street, an asset to the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or