U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 25 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post
C'mon, the lady doesn't have to live like that. I don't care where u live, people do not have to put up with this kind of rude behavior. She has purchased a home that she has lived in for over 50 years and now she has to be the one to cater to their way of living. All those people living in one place, the noise, the pure lack of consideration for others. I looked up this number for ICE it's 1-866-347-2423 I hope it's the right one. I don't care if they are legal or illegal that is crappy way to live and then to put everyone else in the neighborhood thru it! I wuldn't like it either. I don't understand why they can't wake up and realize there are others around them and they don't live like that. Just because someone has "culture" doesn't mean they need to bring their chickens to their yards, leave their car and all the parts lying everywhere and blaring circus music. America is the way it is cuz people DO care about things like this! Good luck, I hope things get better.

And Mach50 If u r so disgusted with her "discrimination" I am sure she wuld gladly trade u houses, u can live there and put up with that crap and see how long before u change ur mind.
The word Illegals is not even used in RS-1080's post, it just says "bunch of Mexicans". If you have issues with illegals that is one thing, but just gathering the masses to discriminate against Mexicans is not cool.

The fact that she used "DeKalb county can stay within it's own kind" shows her intent to band together...protect "the kind".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:05 AM

636 posts, read 1,218,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
So basically you banded together and discriminated against the Mexicans in your county? I am sure you are proud you could keep it "your kind". GREAT SUCCESS!

Sounds like a fantastic place to live as a legal hispanic citizen.

**scratches DeKalb county of the summer trip list**

I didn't band anything together.DeKalb county was what it is before ''I'' moved here. I'm white, and been here since I got married some time ago and ''I'm'' still an outsider to some myself.Not as bad as when I first moved to this county,but still not one of them.My kids were born here as was my wife,so they fit in nicely.However, I'm greatfull DeKalb county works hard to keep a decent comunity, you don't have to be ''illegal'' or ''legal'' to change the area's culture, there's been a dozen or more ''legal'' or ''illegal'' mexicans shack up in one house, scope out teen girls in the area then get mad at them when they shy away from the situation. You see them go in carloads to the store ( and pee between cars in the lot ) rolling out stacks of foodstamps ( foodstamps made us think they must be legal ) to pay then go to a tire shop a day or so later to buy a 2k set of wheels for a truck or car. Knowing that,and as many live in the same house ''and work'',they can't need help that bad. I've yet to use the system for help and have had to ''plan meals'' for my family during hard weeks more times than one,with only one working in our home. I can't blame the comunity's for trying to preserve their inviroment they've always known. Myself, I can give a ratts ass less who lives where long as they ''live right''. You don't see locals wearing pants half to their knee's, paying for food with foodstamps having 2k in their pockets to buy wheels they can do without if they truly hungry, or peeing between cars in store parking lot in public view. Me band them together? No,DeKalb county was what it is when I came here, but I can't blame the folks here that have faught change. I never traded at those two stores the immigrants were handed tax free loans to though, I have that right to drive that extra mile or ten,and like everyone else,I done so. I do like our county though, or I wouldn't still live here. I came from one county over,and it's not much different than here.

Last edited by RS-1080; 07-15-2008 at 01:40 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,433 times
NOBODY should put up that that BS. It's not just "different cultures" - it's RUDE behavior that ruins everyone else's peace and quiet.

It's one thing to have your own music playing, or partying, or picking up people in a car, but ONLY if it does not bother anyone else. In other words, keep it to yourself. Or move to the country where there's no one else around.

In my city, we have a noise ordinance - if someone calls the police to report noise coming from a house, they'll come, and if they have to come BACK because they're called again, the offender is fined $200.

People are rude all over, but I have a feeling that when this many men get together and live together (illegally, since there are laws regarding number of people per square foot), they're going to be REALLY rude.

See what kind of laws you have in your city, and get them enforced. If there aren't any laws to take care of this, then you have to start a movement to get them. I don't think you'd have any trouble getting others to agree to do this. You get signatures, and eventually, it goes to the legislature - it does take time, though.

Meanwhile, if you don't own, you can move. If you do own, you'll have more trouble getting out of there. And, honestly, why should YOU be pushed out by these idiots? Makes me sick to hear about it.

I'm afraid I'd get so angry, I might do something I shouldn't - if the police wouldn't enforce the laws, I'd probably get a gun. First I'd shoot it in the air, then at the house, then at them. But, that's just me.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,036,601 times
I would call the police non emergency number constantly. I would call the landlord constantly. I would get the rest of the neighborhood to sign a petition explaining how detrimental this house and its occupents are to the area and deliver it to the city attorneys office. I would call ICE constantly. I would build that privacy fence, get a large dog and a security system (the guys may not like all the attention they are getting from the police and ICE) and I would look into taking the landlord into court -- shouldn't it be a crime to rent over a certain number of people in one house?
If you start this --- basically being a thorn in their side --- either they will move voluntarily, the landlord will kick them out, or they will start behaving in a more lowkey fashion.
I wish you luck, you have a battle ahead of you!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I would call the police non emergency number constantly. I would call the landlord constantly. I would get the rest of the neighborhood to sign a petition explaining how detrimental this house and its occupents are to the area and deliver it to the city attorneys office. I would call ICE constantly. I would build that privacy fence, get a large dog and a security system (the guys may not like all the attention they are getting from the police and ICE) and I would look into taking the landlord into court -- shouldn't it be a crime to rent over a certain number of people in one house?
If you start this --- basically being a thorn in their side --- either they will move voluntarily, the landlord will kick them out, or they will start behaving in a more lowkey fashion.
I wish you luck, you have a battle ahead of you!
I had a bad neighbor in an apartment building once years ago, and I called the landlord every day, no matter what - I complained constantly on his answering machine, day in and day out. He eventually kicked them out. I imagine the laws were a little more flexible then - today, it might be harder to evict people. At least it is in Massachusetts.

But, give it a try along with the other advice!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:37 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Look, frat houses are models of decorum compared to this. There is absolutely no excuse for this sort of behavior. And this is not how people who are 'living in the shadows' conduct themselves.
IMO, they act like this because:
1. this is how they lived in their homeland
2. they see no reason to change since in the US no culture is better than any other, parking cars on the lawn is merely an expression of their diversity
3. deep down inside they really enjoy sticking it to the gringo big time (the gringo=any American citizen who is not of hispanic descent)
4. the mindset that the laws do not apply to them- in the country illegally? no big deal! don't have a driver's license?- drive without one!

I agree with those who have suggested reporting them for housing violations, calling about the noise, etc. Twenty years ago these measure would have solved the problem. But today I fear the only thing that will happen if you complain about them enough is that they will call La Raza, MALDEF and Lulac and accuse you of being 'racist' or in some way discriminating against them. Incredible as it may seem, you could end up being ordered to take 'Multicultural Sensitivity training' or something similar for your failure to appreciate the diversity they add to the neighborhood.

Last edited by andreabeth; 07-15-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 AM

545 posts, read 2,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Why folks didn't stick together is beyond me.If DeKalb county can stay within it's own kind, other places can also.Folks, you just have to stand together,and think alike.Sure, a bunch of Mexicans came here to work in the fields but theres a reason they didn't take up homestead.When their kids go to our school, local kids have nothing to do with them,they see the kids won't fit in and the parents aint gonna tell the kids to play nice,they soon give up and leave here.The local parents don't get mad at the kids either,after all it's the locals inviroment,and want it kept that way.Same for two stores that were for sale and the locals could not get a loan for them,but immigrants had government loans ''handed to them'' and bought both stores. Well the locals called all their friends and family and decided not to trade with them.Both stores got starved out,and have been sitting empty for a good while,one quite a while to be honest, two darn nice size great condition stores to boot.There is ''no law'' that says you have to trade with them, you can drive the extra mile to trade elsewhere, they'll leave your area. If we ever decide to sell our farm and move, we'll hand pick who we sell it to thinking about the comunity's future after we have gone,but I doubt we'll ever leave home here.Many think the same way.

TN Encyclopedia: DEKALB COUNTY (http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/imagegallery.php?EntryID=D022 - broken link)

According to the 2000 census, DeKalb County's population totaled 17,423. At the end of the Civil War, African Americans made up about 10 percent of the population, but out-migration had reduced the number of blacks to less than 3 percent by the 1990 census. In the 1980s a number of Mexican laborers came to work in DeKalb's nurseries, but few have become permanent residents.
People like these are why we had to pass civil rights laws in this country.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:50 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
wayover20 was the OP, RS-1080 is from Dekalb County, Tenn. I'm guessing that wayover20 is from San Antonio since the topic was moved from that forum. You guys get so wound up you can't keep the story straight.

wayover20, I agree with cousinsal and others that you should make yourself and your situation well known to the police and code enforcement people. Large fines and such tend to get people's attention.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The word Illegals is not even used in RS-1080's post, it just says "bunch of Mexicans". If you have issues with illegals that is one thing, but just gathering the masses to discriminate against Mexicans is not cool.

The fact that she used "DeKalb county can stay within it's own kind" shows her intent to band together...protect "the kind".
I'll agree with you right off, that DeKalb County sounds like a pretty scary place.....and that neither I, nor my wife, are likely to vacation there anytime soon. If I ever DO pass through, I'll make sure I have a full tank of gas. Sounds like I probably won't be seeing you there, either.

Obviously, my previous post was a bit 'tongue-in-cheek', but as a matter of curiosity, do you personally feel that the OP...(the lady with the rowdy neighbors) was simply showing a 'dislike of Mexicans'. I'm asking this because as you and I both know, there ARE people on this forum who'd insist that's her ONLY problem.

I say otherwise. I say she has every right to be upset, regardless of anyone's nationality.

What's your opinion?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,138,805 times
I would check with the city or county agency to see if there are any restrictions on the number of people living in one dwelling. Get a camera and tape any person staring or glaring at you. I would get in touch with an attorney and sue the landlord for the harassement you are subject to. Call homeland security to see if they can help. You must live in a "sanctuary" state and that is a shame. At least here in AZ a drop house does not last long before getting busted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or