Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:50 AM

219 posts, read 424,178 times

Advertisements

I needed to apologize to Mach sorry it was late last night I thought u were saying the OP was discriminating. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,439,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'll agree with you right off, that DeKalb County sounds like a pretty scary place.....and that neither I, nor my wife, are likely to vacation there anytime soon. If I ever DO pass through, I'll make sure I have a full tank of gas. Sounds like I probably won't be seeing you there, either.

Obviously, my previous post was a bit 'tongue-in-cheek', but as a matter of curiosity, do you personally feel that the OP...(the lady with the rowdy neighbors) was simply showing a 'dislike of Mexicans'. I'm asking this because as you and I both know, there ARE people on this forum who'd insist that's her ONLY problem.

I say otherwise. I say she has every right to be upset, regardless of anyone's nationality.

What's your opinion?
The OP has 100% full right to be upset, scared and angry. Wayover20's post was balanced (no hate towards Mexican people) and IMO she is doing the right thing by calling the police.

I am sort of dealing with the same thing, I have some rowdy neighbors that moved in from Chicago and they are not illegals or Mexicans..they are 2 White girls, 1 White Guy and 1 Arabic decent. They have 5 cars and 1 motorcycle all with "Illinois" plates, parked along the street, which is a violation to HOA. They constantly sit on their patio smoking, drinking and yelling, they play music loud, they have their friends come over until late and get drunk. They leave trash on their patio. I have told them we have a 6 month old in the house, they don't seem to care. Bad thing is, they do not appear to have JOBS! They are just "experiencing the California life".

Point is, I am sure we all have had some rowdy neighbors in the past, I don't see why illegals or Mexicans in some cases are any different. Call the police, complain to their landlord, it helps if you have an HOA.

There is no need to be banding everyone of a "kind" to discriminate against Mexicans in town like RS-1080 described.

Last edited by Mach50; 07-15-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,505,584 times
Try the legal suggestions others have made; but whatever you do, DO NOT antagonize them. You have no knowledge of their criminal backgrounds or proclivity for violence. I have heard of too many neighborhood disputes culminating in tragedy. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:17 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,313,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Sorry to sound pessimistic...but this is America, 2008. You have your culture, and your neighbors have theirs. Nobody's right, and nobody's wrong, just 'different'. If they're illegal, that's OK, too, for all practical purposes.

That's life, as it's lived, in a multicultural society.....like the one we're building here.

Something to think about, while you weigh your options.
I am dying to understand your logic behind "illegal" being "OK". Please explain.

Complacency and apathy are ruining this country.....not making it "multicultural". I don't see anything being "built" by sitting back and looking the other way.

To the OP...on the otherhand.....are you SURE they are "illegal"....or just guessing? Green cards give them the "ok"....be careful about assumptions.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,019,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The OP has 100% full right to be upset, scared and angry. Wayover20's post was balanced (no hate towards Mexican people) and IMO she is doing the right thing by calling the police.

I am sort of dealing with the same thing, I have some rowdy neighbors that moved in from Chicago and they are not illegals or Mexicans..they are 2 White girls, 1 White Guy and 1 Arabic decent. They have 5 cars and 1 motorcycle all with "Illinois" plates, parked along the street, which is a violation to HOA. They constantly sit on their patio smoking, drinking and yelling, they play music loud, they have their friends come over until late and get drunk. They leave trash on their patio. I have told them we have a 6 month old in the house, they don't seem to care. Bad thing is, they do not appear to have JOBS! They are just "experiencing the California life".

Point is, I am sure we all have had some rowdy neighbors in the past, I don't see why illegals or Mexicans in some cases are any different. Call the police, complain to their landlord, it helps if you have an HOA.

There is no need to be banding everyone of a "kind" to discriminate against Mexicans in town like RS-1080 described.
Follow my advice that I gave to the OP considering her trailer trash denizens.

Better (legal) 'people of color' as neighbors than White Trash (Arabs are counted as 'White' here as well)--------this coming from me personally who is Nordic White.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:57 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,715,080 times
I am so sorry you are having to put up with this, in YOUR own home. I hope you come up with a happy solution, but be careful!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:16 PM

608 posts, read 1,002,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post
C'mon, the lady doesn't have to live like that. I don't care where u live, people do not have to put up with this kind of rude behavior. She has purchased a home that she has lived in for over 50 years and now she has to be the one to cater to their way of living. All those people living in one place, the noise, the pure lack of consideration for others. I looked up this number for ICE it's 1-866-347-2423 I hope it's the right one. I don't care if they are legal or illegal that is crappy way to live and then to put everyone else in the neighborhood thru it! I wuldn't like it either. I don't understand why they can't wake up and realize there are others around them and they don't live like that. Just because someone has "culture" doesn't mean they need to bring their chickens to their yards, leave their car and all the parts lying everywhere and blaring circus music. America is the way it is cuz people DO care about things like this! Good luck, I hope things get better.

And Mach50 If u r so disgusted with her "discrimination" I am sure she wuld gladly trade u houses, u can live there and put up with that crap and see how long before u change ur mind.

I agree with you on one part AnaGirrrrrl... no one should have to live like that. Has nothing to do with legal or illegal renters. It has everything to do with a careless and most likely absent slumlord. Slumlords like this should be forced to live in their own properties. If I were her I would sit at city hall filing complaints against the land owner and call in city inspectors to to be sure the property (assume it is rental) is not in violation. Keep calling the police to record the disturbances and get her neighbors to do the same. i assume she should be able to get the whole neighborhood to help out since she has been there for more than 50 years.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,031,952 times
I've had similar problems and the police and code enforcement will do nothing. They may come by and give a 'warning' but that's it. As I said on another post many times I have heard them laughing when the police leave.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:53 PM

608 posts, read 1,002,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I've had similar problems and the police and code enforcement will do nothing. They may come by and give a 'warning' but that's it. As I said on another post many times I have heard them laughing when the police leave.
And yet these are the same police that many want to enforce immigration at the local level. Interesting.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,516,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I am dying to understand your logic behind "illegal" being "OK". Please explain.
Glad to. Given the fact that somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 million people are now living illegally in the US.....and given the fact that no presidential candidate and ALMOST no Congressman will even discuss doing anything about it.....and given the fact that its just about impossible to even SUGGEST that maybe something ought to be done about getting the situation under control....on THAT basis, I assume that illegal immigrants MUST be "OK".

We're the most powerful nation on earth, and if we have THAT many people in our midst, doing anything at ALL...it must be "OK"...right?

So I repeat what I said....illegal immigrants aren't in compliance with the law...but that's "OK". If it wasn't, we'd do something about it. If somebody enters your home, takes up residence in your back bedroom, and begins to live there, after a certain period of time, your neighbors would undoubtedly begin to assume that the person had your approval....and that his being there was "OK" with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration