U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Hammer away, the figures in YOUR OWN SOURCE point to the probability that ONLY 50% of the Mexicans in America are EVEN LEGAL, let alone CITIZENS. Maybe you should READ the articles you cite, rather than post them for their appealing headlines.
I always find it strange when someone insists that Mexican looking people honking their horns early in the morning and spending their evenings drinking and throwing beer bottles out into the yard and blaring music through the night, 18 men sleeping on the floor, staring women down and making stupid noises at them, butchering chickens and goats in the front yard, etc, must be legal or even better yet long-time American hispanics whose roots in this country go way way back.

It seems to me those people believe that Mexican is some kind of race and that no one of that race can behave as an American or what you'd expect of someone who waited and worked for legal status in this country. Or they believe that immigration standards are completely non-existent that these people are allowed in before more decent kinds. They believe that someone of the Mexican race simply cannot act like other people and so you'd better jump to the conclusion these are hispanics whose families came here centuries ago and they just can't get over acting like this. In reality -- hispanics with American roots would seldom or never live like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 03:42 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
I had a property where a house burned down 'mysteriously' across the street - 'the immigrant family' next door took over the lot and started parking all their cars on it - code enforcement would do nothing and the owners of the lot were afraid to have the cars towed because of retalliation. Every once and while the family would remove all the cars and build a huge bonfire (in the middle of the city!) to roast cabrito. Of course then all the neighbor's driveways were blocked as they weren't too particular about where they parked. Plus all the cousins came over. My late father was threatened by these people so I didn't call the police (out of fear) either.

So basically everyone on the street was trapped by the loud music, fire and drunken party in the street. I know some people did call the fire department but they never showed.

But I'm sure they must have been legal!

Fortunately that area is gentrifying and now there is a million dollar home on that lot.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Here we see old broken down travel trailers being used to house entire families, or 4 families living in one small house, or you can sometimes find a family living out of an old broken down car out in the desert, or you can find slum one bedroom apartments with 14people sleeping on the floor, day laborers begging for jobs in some parking lot but I'm sure those are all long time American citizen hispanics whose families have lived in the USA for at least a century and even though they've lived in the USA for over 100 years, they've never managed to learn a word of English. There -- now I'm politically correct, I assume all hispanics are legal USA citizens. In fact I'm so good now, when I see a hispanic in a business suit speaking perfect unaccented English, I assume he is likely an illegal.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:43 AM

29 posts, read 151,756 times
Quote:
In San Antonio the odds are about 50/50 that an Hispanic male is an illegal alien. If there's 10-12 of them sharing a house those odds go up quite a bit.
Could be but that's just an assumption......

My point is, you cannot judge people based on how they look, or how they choose to live That's the very definition of racial profiling. During my first year in college there was 5 of us in a single apartment because we did not have enough money. But that was a temporary arrangement and after all of us got jobs we all moved out our own......

Last edited by jimjames3000; 07-18-2008 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 12:12 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Only 5 people in an apartment?

BTW, at these houses it's not usually temporary. The faces may be temporary as sometimes there is an ever-changing cast of characters, but the numbers remain the same or increase.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:16 PM

300 posts, read 481,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Only 5 people in an apartment?

BTW, at these houses it's not usually temporary. The faces may be temporary as sometimes there is an ever-changing cast of characters, but the numbers remain the same or increase.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/QuirkyCynick/Funnies/16.gif (broken link)

Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 PM

545 posts, read 2,057,205 times
Quote:
In San Antonio the odds are about 50/50 that an Hispanic male is an illegal alien. If there's 10-12 of them sharing a house those odds go up quite a bit.
Wow...what part of San Antonio do you live in? Now, if you'd said something like the odds are 50/50 of a MAN in San Antonio being Hispanic, you'd be close to being correct. There is a very rich history of Hispanic culture in San Antonio, and the vast majority of Hispanic folks in this town have their roots deep in the history of this city. Just because someone speaks Spanish in San Antonio doesn't automatically make them illegal. It makes them proud of their heritage. With very few exceptions, the Hispanic families I know (including the family I married into) have been in San Antonio for several generations, making them (everybody say it with me) LEGAL US CITIZENS.

Now please, stop making this city look like it's another border town, and stop making up statistics.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:54 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Wow...what part of San Antonio do you live in? Now, if you'd said something like the odds are 50/50 of a MAN in San Antonio being Hispanic, you'd be close to being correct. There is a very rich history of Hispanic culture in San Antonio, and the vast majority of Hispanic folks in this town have their roots deep in the history of this city. Just because someone speaks Spanish in San Antonio doesn't automatically make them illegal. It makes them proud of their heritage. With very few exceptions, the Hispanic families I know (including the family I married into) have been in San Antonio for several generations, making them (everybody say it with me) LEGAL US CITIZENS.

Now please, stop making this city look like it's another border town, and stop making up statistics.
I USED to live just off of McCullough, north of downtown. I'm well aware of SA's rich Hispanic history, and am not denigrating the city in the slightest. I'm also not fool enough to believe that SA's population growth over the last 20 years has been fueled by anything other than illegal immigration.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:05 PM

545 posts, read 2,057,205 times
Quote:
I USED to live just off of McCullough, north of downtown. I'm well aware of SA's rich Hispanic history, and am not denigrating the city in the slightest. I'm also not fool enough to believe that SA's population growth over the last 20 years has been fueled by anything other than illegal immigration.
Uhh...Military, large corporations (at&t, valero, toyota just to name a few), people cashing out of the California real estate market are all reasons for San Antonio's population growth. To say that the only reason San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US is because of illegals is both completely wrong, and insulting to the hard working people who have chosen to make San Antonio their home. I moved to San Antonio 12 years ago, and amazingly enough, I'm a born and raised US citizen.

The fastest growing areas of town are the north side (Stone Oak), where I'm sure someone trying to stay under the radar wouldn't be able to afford to live.

You make it sound as though San Antonio is overrun with illegal immigrants and that's certainly not the case. I'm certainly not saying that there aren't any illegal immigrants here, but it's no worse here than anywhere else.

If you have something against San Antonio, please air it out...let us know what it is. Don't make things up to make it sound like San Antonio is a bad place to live and work. People actually use these forums for information on cities and info like yours that is not based in any sort of fact, skews people's views of our city.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 PM

2,940 posts, read 6,975,142 times
Why do they always stare? They do the same thing to me and I'm a guy. These illegals have no boundaries whatsoever....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or